MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-06-2015, 06:44 PM   #1
Broughts
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Turkey Guidance

Does anyone have guidance for a great Turkey cook on the BGE? I did a turkey once but it was just too smokey. Same goes for chicken.
Broughts is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2015, 08:43 PM   #2
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Here is a huge turkey thread that folks use at the holidays. There is a ton of info in there...

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=120494

I keep mine fairly simple.

I take it our of the fridge at least an hour before cooking and put a bag of ice on the breasts. this keep the breast cooler than the leg/thigh so they are done at about the same time. Then I make a compound butter with a variety of fresh herbs and shove the under the skin and all over the outside and cavity. then I stuff the cavity with apples, oranges, carrots, onions and celery. I put it in a rack in a roasting pan and add some turkey stock into the pan. I set the Egg up for indirect cooking at 325 and cook until the breast is 155 and the thigh/leg are at least 165. Then I tent and rest for 30 minutes.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-06-2015, 08:45 PM   #3
BBQ Bandit
Babbling Farker

Wise is RonL, he is. (Yoda mod)

Just ran a turkey a few days ago... very simplified.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=207903

Former smokers;
Lang 84 Deluxe kitchen, Lang 60 Mobile - The Damsel II, Lang 48 Patio - The Damsel, Bubba Keg Grill - RIP, Double Barrel Smoker and a BSKD
BBQ Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-06-2015, 10:54 PM   #4
fingerlickin'
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I use very little wood in my kamado. I find one fist sized chunk for a bird is plenty. For chicken parts I'll cut that down to a smaller chunk or two. You just don't need as much wood in that type of smoker IMO. I've never once thought my food was over smoked or under smoked. Always comes out just about right in that regard.

I light one spot in the large and when it's glowing pretty good jam a chunk in there. With the XL I would light two spots and jam two chunks in. Long meats like pork and brisket get bigger chunks than shorter cooks like chicken and ribs.

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - [I]Tommy Callahan III[/I][/COLOR][/COLOR]
[B][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkGreen][SIZE=3][SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]Backwoods Ext. Party,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkGreen] [COLOR=Black]Vision Kamado,[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=DarkGreen][COLOR=DarkGreen][B][COLOR=Black] 22" WSM[/COLOR][/B],[/COLOR] 22.5 Weber OTS, [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=DarkGreen][B]Mini WSM, [/B][COLOR=Red][B] UDS "No.8"[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Teal] [COLOR=Black][B][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]Napkin Killers BBQ[/COLOR]
[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]
fingerlickin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2015, 11:05 PM   #5
food4thot
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Erik, E

Try using just a couple chunks of pecan. Very mild and is great for poultry

Old 04-07-2015, 04:03 AM   #6
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

As well as the Turkey Thread mentioned above, many people I know find that when the converted to the Komando or BGE their food had a stronger smoke flavor. Some say an "over-powering" smoke flavor. Simply reduce the amount of wood chunks to get your level you prefer.
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2015, 07:27 AM   #7
Sausage Warrior
BANNED PERMANENTLY

I spatchcock in two and arrange one grate above the other with a pan below for catching drippings and making gravy. Cook at 375. Never had an issue over smoking on a Kamado - especially using applewood.
Sausage Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2015, 01:05 PM   #8
dadsr4

Big Green Egg Turkey Cheat Sheet
http://www.biggreenegg.com/uncategor...g-cheat-sheet/
The BIG GREEN EGG Recipe Book
http://www.tanningsupplyshop.com/pdf/Recipes.pdf

Old 04-07-2015, 03:17 PM   #9
Big George's BBQ

Name/Nickname : George

The naked whiz has a great turkey tutorial PattioDadddio has a really good brine and google turkey 101 A member here did it and it is really good- It is prob in Ron_L link
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote