• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

canning bbq sauce

bobaftt

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I got a gallon of bbq sauce for Christmas. I would like to split it up into quarts for storage. Has anyone canned bbq sauce? Any tips?

I got a gallon of bbq sauce for Christmas. I would like to split it up into quarts for storage. Has anyone canned bbq sauce? Any tips?

Buy a Food Saver... slip it up into plastic bags, and freeze em. When you want to use em, pop the bags in boiling water. Easy.

But a gallon ain't much. Is it really worth the trouble?

Yeah Bob, we do them in pints instead of quarts. If there is no meat in the sauce just do the water bath method for 20 minutes, then lid off for 5 minutes, out on towel on the counter overnight....GOLDEN!

all i do is put the jars in the dish washer with very hot water. as they are being heated/sterilized, i put the lids and rings in a pan of water and bring almost to a boil. I bring the sauce to a boil as well and then hurry and pour into the jars. i put a lid and ring on and sung it down tight. I then invert the jar on its top for about 10 minutes and then bring it back to normal position and let cool. it will last like a year in the jar.

If your sauce doesn't contain meat and has a high enough acidity level you should be able to use a water bath canner instead of a pressure canner.

What Jeanie said...if it doesn't have meat in it you can water bath it.

Yep, water bath is the way to go...........Do it several times a year

It all depends on the acidity of the product. A straight tomato sauce recipe is on the edge of being safe in a water bath and should be canned in a pressure canner. Most BBQ sauce has vinegar in it to raise the acid level to be safe in a water bath. However, since you didn’t make it and have safe canning directions you should freeze it IMO.

Will a water bath be fine…probably…but why risk it. Home canning safety and food poisoning is nothing to mess with as it can kill you.

Cheers

It all depends on the acidity of the product. A straight tomato sauce recipe is on the edge of being safe in a water bath and should be canned in a pressure canner. Most BBQ sauce has vinegar in it to raise the acid level to be safe in a water bath. However, since you didn’t make it and have safe canning directions you should freeze it IMO.

Will a water bath be fine…probably…but why risk it. Home canning safety and food poisoning is nothing to mess with as it can kill you.

Cheers
I have to agree. If it were sauce that I made, I would have a better handle on the acidity. I would bag it, freeze it, then cryo-suck and return to the freezer....

but why risk it. Home canning safety and food poisoning is nothing to mess with as it can kill you.

Cheers

No kidding. When I was a younger guy, I worked as a nurse's aid in the Neuro ICU of a hospital. There was a guy there who took a bite of his mom's canned asparagus and spit it out immediately. The amount of botulism in that ONE TASTE THAT HE DIDN'T SWALLOW almost killed him. He was on a ventilator for over six months and in rehab for more than a year after that.

If the sauce goes bad it would be perfect for Fishiest1's "sour" pork...

(Off to the Penalty Box...)

I have to agree. If it were sauce that I made, I would have a better handle on the acidity. I would bag it, freeze it, then cryo-suck and return to the freezer....

Glad you paid attention and got a pressure canner off the wish list even though your BBQ sauce has plenty of acid in it. :wink: My darling wife got me one also in the 23 quart model.

I know that a lot can be found with google-fu and all but my next purchase will be the bible of home canning…The Ball Blue Book of home canning and preserving (just to be safe):wink:

Edit: or was that Harbormaster???

Last edited:
If you're worried about the acidity...just add some vinegar to it if the taste will allow.

On a side note...I've got red bbq sauce in my fridge that I literally made 11 months ago. It has never been canned or frozen, just taking up a corner of the fridge. I've used it twice this week...year old sauce in the fridge. DISCLAIMER: I made it and I know what went in it.

YMMV...BWTFDIC

It is blues hog tn red. Do yall think the acid is strong enough for water bath to be ok?

Glad you paid attention and got a pressure canner off the wish list even though your BBQ sauce has plenty of acid in it. :wink: My darling wife got me one also in the 23 quart model.

I know that a lot can be found with google-fu and all but my next purchase will be the bible of home canning…The Ball Blue Book of home canning and preserving (just to be safe):wink:

Edit: or was that Harbormaster???
Nope, it was me... I have the book on order. Should be delevered next week.

I pressure can my sauce, just to be safe, since I haven't had the acidity checked.

Back