MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-15-2010, 12:58 PM   #46
Tracenbec
Found some matches.

Nice looking pit, thanks for sharing.
Tracenbec is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-15-2010, 02:06 PM   #47
S-L-A-C-K-E-R
Knows what a fatty is.

Looks great!

It's very motivational to see someone tackle this kind of project with entry level welding experience. I've never welded but I'd like to learn. I could use some basic welding skills with some of the components I've been coming up with for my brick fire pit project. If you don't mind me asking, how much did your welding setup cost? Maybe I'll splurge someday and buy myself some welding equipment. Besides, someday, I'd like to put together something very similar to what you're doing (maybe a bit smaller and without the vertical unit though). So, it would definitely come in handy in the future.

Also, what is that you're using to cut through the tank? I could use some metal cutting capabilities too.
S-L-A-C-K-E-R is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-15-2010, 03:20 PM   #48
BbqJohn
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-L-A-C-K-E-R View Post
Looks great!

It's very motivational to see someone tackle this kind of project with entry level welding experience. I've never welded but I'd like to learn. I could use some basic welding skills with some of the components I've been coming up with for my brick fire pit project. If you don't mind me asking, how much did your welding setup cost? Maybe I'll splurge someday and buy myself some welding equipment. Besides, someday, I'd like to put together something very similar to what you're doing (maybe a bit smaller and without the vertical unit though). So, it would definitely come in handy in the future.

Also, what is that you're using to cut through the tank? I could use some metal cutting capabilities too.
Thank you, my welder is a 120 arc welder on sale :

http://www.harborfreight.com/welding...der-98870.html

My cutter is a angle grinder(CL for $20) with cutting disks 4 1/2(HD FOR @ $2 A piece)

I also have used a Ryobi reciprocating saw.

Hope you make the plunge and build you a pit!

>>John
BbqJohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-15-2010, 03:25 PM   #49
S-L-A-C-K-E-R
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BbqJohn View Post
Thank you, my welder is a 120 arc welder on sale :

http://www.harborfreight.com/welding...der-98870.html

My cutter is a angle grinder(CL for $20) with cutting disks 4 1/2(HD FOR @ $2 A piece)

I also have used a Ryobi reciprocating saw.

Hope you make the plunge and build you a pit!

>>John
Awesome. Thanks!

That's much more reasonably priced that I expected.
S-L-A-C-K-E-R is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-15-2010, 06:33 PM   #50
RustyGrill
Knows what a fatty is.

Looking forward to watching this!
RustyGrill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-15-2010, 09:52 PM   #51
big brother smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

You are doing a great job. Looks like to me you are handling what you have bitten!

Powered by the West Coast Offense: Big Poppa Smokers and Simply Marvelous BBQ - "Walk with Us"

My weapons: Humphrey's Smokers
big brother smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-16-2010, 08:11 PM   #52
BbqJohn

Got the door for the vertical tank almost cut out and realized that I had welded on the seals after each cut. I have read doing this help the door not warp, I have about 1 inch left to cut through on one cut and the door is free..hope it turns out okay....

I am going to tack weld the other cut just to hold the door while I weld on the seal....that should work.

Old 09-17-2010, 08:48 AM   #53
PIGLITTLE
Got rid of the matchlight.

First timer... looking forward to watching the build, any chance of some more Pics its great to see how its commin togeather. Just got finished looking at Phrasty's build, very impressive. I like your idea of adding a vertical tank. trying to get some ideas myself.

Build onnnnnn.
PIGLITTLE is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2010, 09:01 AM   #54
BbqJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIGLITTLE View Post
First timer... looking forward to watching the build, any chance of some more Pics its great to see how its commin togeather. Just got finished looking at Phrasty's build, very impressive. I like your idea of adding a vertical tank. trying to get some ideas myself.

Build onnnnnn.

Thanks! I will be posting more pics as I move along...I normally take pictures after I finish a portion because this is my first build also. I know it does help to see more pics...I'll work on that

Old 09-17-2010, 08:36 PM   #55
BbqJohn

Hey All,

I got the door cut out and the seals on the vertical tank. I got a little bit of warping out on the door, the seals about 7 in from the hinges are hitting and causing the door to not shut all the way unless I push it down. I am hoping to get the tanks together this weekend but I want to get the pit up on a stand(that I don't have yet)

Tomorrow I put in the angle iron for the shelves...pics to come.

I am on the hunt for expanded metal and 2 x 2 angle iron or some 2 in pipe fro the frame for the whole pit. Oh and the fire box, I need my fire box. I am waiting to find the right free or cheep material.

Thanks fro looking!!

>>John

The general idea......

Old 09-20-2010, 08:38 PM   #56
BbqJohn

Slow going time wise.....welded the motor mount back on to help with connecting the vertical tank and it was a pain and a ton of grinding to get the curve right and flush with the tank. did some more welding and put the door stop.....I have a list a mile long of things to do. I am still searching for the material for the frame. Next up connect the vertical tank and building the firebox.

Old 09-20-2010, 08:40 PM   #57
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

Lookin' good so far!

Old 09-20-2010, 09:13 PM   #58
BbqJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boshizzle View Post
Lookin' good so far!
Thanks, I have done more but I am behind on pictures. It's rough to document your first because you are learning as you go so I have some extra steps in there...lol

Old 09-21-2010, 02:29 AM   #59
Phrasty
Babbling Farker

Man, this is looking great so far John! You making good progress! I look forward to the rest of the pics!

Cheers
1 - 25 gal. self-made vertical smoker
1 - 120 gal. self-made trailer stick-burner

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=88599
Phrasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2010, 08:40 AM   #60
BbqJohn

Going to pick up 40 feet of 1/8 2x2 angle iron for the frame now...so I can get this puppy up off the ground. Pics to come.

Happy smokin today.

>>John

Tags
Building a smoker, Grill, smoker