UDS Finish & Broken In (with prons)

BamaRambler

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Finished it Saturday night and was smokin in it Sunday afternoon. I smoked 2 whole Chickens (Injected with Garlic Herb & Butter), 16 Wings(Spiced Rub) & 1 Cheese Stuffed Fatty. I've done a lot of grilling and this is my first time to smoke anything. After playing around with it for about an hour i finally got the temp to cooporate
At 325is the Wings & Fatty cooked for 2 hrs, Chickens cooked for 3 hrs. The Chicken was fabulously tender & falling off the bone great flavor.
Here it is. Excuse the the pics of the food, i used my old camera.

Attachments

• First Smoke_Whole Chickens_Falling off thier bones_1_10-11-2009.jpg
    First Smoke_Whole Chickens_Falling off thier bones_1_10-11-2009.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 253
Last edited:
Looks good. I am in the process of building one about the same....Even thought of using bolts for legs on the coal grate. Did you paint the inside of the drum or is it just super clean?

Very Nice indeed, The food and the Smoker, Congrats on your first smoke.

Looks awesome!!! I really like the exhaust. Hows that working out with the second grate so close to the charcoal basket?

All looks good. But if it were me I wouldn't have the chicken on top of anything. I always have it on the bottom if I'm cooking on 2 grates,which is not very often. But that's jmo.

p.s. very nice drum!

welcome to the wonderful world of the drum heads. smoke on Bro.:-D:cool:

Beautiful Drum!! The food looks great too. :-D

That drum smoker looks nice. I've been tempted to get my friend turn some large water tanks (steel) into smokers. He has 2 of em at there at least 75 gallons each-never been used. That picture gets me motivated, very nice job.

Thanks all for the good feedback.

BuckSnort,
My fire basket worked great using bolts for the legs. I did not paint the inside of the drum, yes it just clean and sprayed the inside with PAM to help season the drum during the first smoke.

biggs98,
The second grate closer to the charcoal basket worker great even though the wings and fatty were done sooner than the birds of course. next time the bigger stuff will go on the second grate.

smokestack willie,
Yep, next time the bigger stuff will go on the second grate.

polishdon
Yes, the lowest set of screws is for another grate to hold a water pan?

Back