• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

When are WSM guys going to shine?

guntera

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
I was just thinking today...I hear of a lot of guys on here using WSM's and after watching the Best in Smoke and the last season of BBQ pitmasters. A lot of those folks had some pretty nice smokers even reconized a Jambo pit and a couple of Green Eggs on the Best in Smoke show. I want to see someone like one of us BBQ brothers come in with nothing more to cook on than those bullet smokers and just totally knock it out of the park.

Nothing against the guy that has a $9,000 smoker because if I had that kind of money to spend I probably would be buying one too. I just think it would be cool to see someone on the Best in Smoke or BBQ Pitmasters with that $399 Weber from Home Depot.

I hope everyone catches what I'm trying to say here. Not trying to start any fights. just wondered if anyone else has thought the same thing at least once.

Oh yeah! Slap Yo Daddy and Rythm N Que are a couple of my hero's. I want to see more guys like that on these shows. My hopes are to get to meet or talk to Vince of Rythm N Que and Harry Soo of Slap Yo Daddy. Competition BBQ is I guess kind of like Bass Fishing. You always want the biggest and baddest out there. I just feel a little intimated setting next to a guy with a really expensive smoker. Almost like the underdog.

I personally know over a dozen cookers that use WSM's and are very successful, IIMHO I think the big expensive cookers make better talk and just catch more attention....:-D

Oh yeah! Slap Yo Daddy and Rythm N Que are a couple of my hero's. I want to see more guys like that on these shows. My hopes are to get to meet or talk to Vince of Rythm N Que and Harry Soo of Slap Yo Daddy. Competition BBQ is I guess kind of like Bass Fishing. You always want the biggest and baddest out there. I just feel a little intimated setting next to a guy with a really expensive smoker. Almost like the underdog.

I've RGC'd twice with only a Brinkmann Stillwater and multiple Weber Silver 22's against many Lang's, Bubba Grills (another reverse flow offset), and too many to count BGE's, Stumps, FEC's, etc. Mind you, I had to work my butt off and there was never a moment during the entire cook that I could rest. Hence my Lang 1160 (which is closer to a Lang 84 than I knew) which I LOVE. Smaller, simpler, can work, but usually means a lot more work and frankly a little bad luck to NOT find you...

I personally know over a dozen cookers that use WSM's and are very successful, IIMHO I think the big expensive cookers make better talk and just catch more attention....:-D

Expensive, usually buys stability (of heat), and plenty of glitz. Size buys ability to cook more meat, compete in additional sanctioning bodies' cookoffs, cook for the big party, etc. However, cooks win cookoffs, not smokers.

Dude with all due respect...DON'T EVER LET THE SIZE OF A PERSON'S RIG INTIMIDATE YOU!!!! :thumb: Cause at the end of the day, it's the cook that wins the contest, not the cooker. We cook on nothing more than a Backwoods Chubby and a 18.5 inch WSM, and in just our 3rd comp against against a ROUGH field did really well!!! To me it's cooking on your cooker enough to know how it's gonna react in certain situations to get timing down to produce the best Q' that you can. As fas as being an underdog..Hell, I love that role!!!! Nothing is more fun that shocking the world!!!! LOL LOL LOL Good Luck to you my WSM brother in smoke!!! :cool:

I'm still waiting for one of the big TV shows to feature teams using UDSs and kettles exclusively. I know there are a lot of teams out there doing it very successfully. Sure those rigs don't have the glitz and glamor of the big ones, but if the general public was exposed to the simple stuff more it may foster even more interest since they are more accessible and less intimidating to the novice.

I've never seen a high dollar bass rig catch fish, and I've never seen a high dollar smoker win a contest.

Just sayin...

I've got a pretty nice rig for catering. However, for comps, I am rolling with (2) 22.5 WSMs for portability.

I just got my first 22.5 WSM last week so I can use it at my first comp this year. Last year at our first KCBS comp we used 7 22.5weber kettles. We didn't do great in ribs, pork, or brisket we did get a 4th place chicken.

A recent temporary loss of sanity had me purchasing a very expensive rig.

Previously, I was cooking on 2 UDS's. I was more confident and more consistent on those drums than I have been in 3 competitions with my current set up.

I was just the opposite, I was never itimidated with my drums, but since I'm in the learning curve currently, I hate showing up with a flashy pit.

Vince is a member here and while I was living in Arizona gave me plenty of advice that I try and use to this day.

We have cooked on a Spicewine and a Lang but come the BOTBBQB we will be cooking on (2) 22" Smokey Mountains and (1) 18" Weber Smokey Mountain.

Score one for Weber WSMs and the Performer! I'm happy to say that I got my first Reserve Grand Champion (lost the tie breaker by one place in brisket) cooking on my two 22.5" WSMs and my Weber Performer which produced my first 1st place chicken in the Lakeview BBQ by the Beach IBCA competition with 31 teams competing. Competing in a sea of Backwoods, Old Hickory's and giant offsets, it felt really good to take those walks with BBQ made on my Weber pits.

I think it comes down to what you can afford. I would say most of us do this for fun but also still want to be competitive as well. Whats the fun in competing and getting crushed every time. I would love to upgrade from my WSM's and BGE for competitions but think it would be a hard sell to the wife.

Back