• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Slow N Sear Kamado

If you search the Chinese sites, they have them in dozens of sizes in 1/2” increments. The inside diameter of the PB “24” is 21.5” so the SnS is probably the size they call 24.5 or maybe 25. The SnS molded into the lid does suggest some customization to the mold, but size alone does not mean it was a clean sheet design.

It doesn’t sound like much, but having a couple more inches than the standard 18.5” LBGE or KJ Classic is a big deal for larger cuts and longer cuts like rib racks and sides of salmon. I tested out a cart full of items and I was surprised at the things that wouldn’t fit on an 18 without trimming, yet I haven’t found anything semi-normal that wouldn’t fit on a 20-21” grate. Except a whole hog.

I see nothing about this kamado that I don’t like. Just not enough to make me want one. The PB was a trial kamado for me, and with a few tweaks and some CGS accessories, I am super pleased with it so I may stick with it for a while. If I were to upgrade though, I would skip past this one and look at the Big Joe 2 or the new taller Big Joe 3, maybe an XL BGE at the right price, and of course the Weber summit. Except the BJ3, they are all close in price to this smaller SnS. I wish him luck, but I think that is going to be a hard segment to compete in.

It's great we have options, isn't it?

It wasn't very long ago when it seemed like the only options were green or oval.

I'm not completely sure what it costs to be an exhibitor (I think it's in the thousands.) but to go as a normal person it's $75 dollars and I think you have to have a business reason to be there...though I don't know how strictly or how they are even able to enforce that. I think probably the $75 bucks is enough of a deterrent to weed out people who aren't there for business reasons.

Well I do work for one of the largest meat companies in the world so that may help. I’ll need to look into it. How many Chinese people did you see with cameras?

I gotta say the more I look at this the more I like it. The 22" grate seems like a great middle ground between the 18" kamados (which I fear may be too small to cook meat and sides at the same time) and the 24-inchers which might be too bulky for my space.

Well I do work for one of the largest meat companies in the world so that may help. I’ll need to look into it. How many Chinese people did you see with cameras?

For those that don't immediately get what he's referencing, there has been an issue at these type of events of Chinese manufacturers going to this events and ripping off ideas.

To answer your question. There were quite a few Asian venders there. The one's I saw seemed legit but I wouldn't take anything I was trying to keep a secret. Honestly, I think the regular vendors are so trained to freak out when they see a camera that it's harder for them to get good pictures.

Interesting story about this topic.

I don't think any youtubers have been to this event before so many venders just assumed anybody with a camera was there to hurt them. I would have had at least 2 more really compelling videos from companies you've probably heard of if this was not the case. One guy was not comfortable with the idea (very polite, but I just don't think he understood) and another was downright irritable.

I don't think either would have had an issue with what we were trying to do had they understood it, but they just couldn't get their head wrapped around it. Unfortunately for them, with all those youtubers there it would have probably been the biggest pop of exposure they had all year and it would have been free. I'm not a pushy person so I, of course, respected their wishes but I admit I was pretty confused. Why would someone pay thousands of dollars and haul all your crap to Dallas, jump on a plane, stay in a hotel and leave your family for a week in the name of "getting the word out" and then freak out when you get the opportunity to do just that?

That said, people do what they do. I respect their choice even if I don't understand it.

I gotta say the more I look at this the more I like it. The 22" grate seems like a great middle ground between the 18" kamados (which I fear may be too small to cook meat and sides at the same time) and the 24-inchers which might be too bulky for my space.

Yeah, it's not as big as 24 for sure. That said, this one doesn't have a fire ring which the grate normally sits on so that makes it about the same as my Big Joe.

Last edited:
I don't cook in flower pots but if I did... :becky:

Great videos Justin! Hope you will keep posting here at the Brethren and Thanks!

Now, how much do I have saved for that Weber Summit ? :thumb:

I love my Summit. It’s very expensive for what it is but I like using it and I love everything it brings to the table...no pun intended. Lol

Good for you on the videos. Don’t have to like a product to learn something new. I’ve purchased three different kamados and find they best fit my cooking needs. The question that popped in my head was the use of a water tray or pan. One of the best features for me is the reduced air flow, meaning food just doesn’t dry out. The only time I use water is for using the kamado as a cold smoke chamber, and then its a bowl of ice. Curious what caused them to think of water.

Good for you on the videos. Don’t have to like a product to learn something new. I’ve purchased three different kamados and find they best fit my cooking needs. The question that popped in my head was the use of a water tray or pan. One of the best features for me is the reduced air flow, meaning food just doesn’t dry out. The only time I use water is for using the kamado as a cold smoke chamber, and then its a bowl of ice. Curious what caused them to think of water.

With certain cuts of meat more air flow can help. Like in a stick burner it’s pretty much the opposite of a Kamado...tremendous air flow) and it helps with bark and smoke ring formation. That may not be your thing but at least it gives you options. The cool thing is that water pan will come out if you don’t want it for a cook and you can use the space for more charcoal. Or you can take all that stuff out and run it like a typical Kamado.

These are all part of the reasons why I became more impressed with the cooker the more I looked at it. Nuances

The Summit was nice when it was new, but with the 2019 Big Joe 3 out, the Weber looks small and shallow. :mrgreen:

I haven't seen that in person yet. They were at the BBQ Expo but we met the KJ guys outside and I never got around to their indoor both. I'm curious about what they came up with.

I'm curious about what they came up with.

Do the details matter? It is bigger and more expensive, so it MUST be better! :mrgreen:

From what I have seen, more vertical space which they use for a third grate and room for a new fangled vortex device to heat more evenly. For me it would be all about the vertical room. To get food further from the fire, fit more in, or hang things like in a UDS.

Do the details matter? It is bigger and more expensive, so it MUST be better! :mrgreen:

From what I have seen, more vertical space which they use for a third grate and room for a new fangled vortex device to heat more evenly. For me it would be all about the vertical room. To get food further from the fire, fit more in, or hang things like in a UDS.

Lol

Makes sense.

Back