MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Brethren Road Trips

Notices

Brethren Road Trips The travel logs of our members. Q- joints, restaurants, entertainment, reviews while we travel around the 50 states. Also, Post here for a shout out to members to meet up with while on the road.

Old 08-04-2013, 09:07 PM   #1
Dallas Dan
is one Smokin' Farker

Question Oklahoma Joe's...

I'm going to be in KC/Olathe tomorrow and meeting an old friend at the Oklahoma Joe's in Olathe. Is it any good? What do you recommend off the menu?

Old 08-04-2013, 09:26 PM   #2
mep
Full Fledged Farker

I would tell you to try the ribs. In my opinion they are some of the best ribs you will eat. The Z-Man is a very popular sandwich (sliced brisket, w/ provolone cheese and an onion ring). I have never had anything bad there. They have a side of smoked chicken gumbo that is fantastic. But the ribs....

Too bad you aren't going to the original location in the gas station at 47th and Mission. All locations are good but the joint ambience of the gas station is the best.

Last edited by mep; 08-04-2013 at 09:54 PM..
mep is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 08-04-2013, 09:57 PM   #3
Dallas Dan
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mep View Post
I would tell you to try the ribs. In my opinion they are some of the best ribs you will eat. The Z-Man is a very popular sandwich (sliced brisket, w/ provolone cheese and an onion ring). I have never had anything bad there. They have a side of smoked chicken gumbo that is fantastic. But the ribs....

Too bad you are going to the original location in the gas station at 47th and Mission. All locations are good but the joint ambience of the gas station is the best.
Thanks for the recommendations! That Z-Man sounds intriguing! Instead of doing loop 435 back to the airport I'll see if my friend can meet me at the original. I want the total experience.
Old 08-04-2013, 10:59 PM   #4
Cloudsmoker
is one Smokin' Farker

I was just there last Wednesday. I think it rocks - would join you in a minute i could.

If not mistaken, the KCBS store is in the same shopping center. I've heard hats worth a quick visit as well, particularly if you're already there.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:11 PM   #5
DriverWild
is one Smokin' Farker

Oklahoma Joe's is awesome, probably my favorite place in KC. They have a few items rubs, sauces etc for sale in the original place (gas station). If you want to go to The Kansas City BBQ store that one is in Olathe in the same shopping center. I love going there but can't get out without spending at least a couple benjamins.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:58 PM   #6
Dallas Dan
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks for everyone's recommendations! We ended up going to the OJ's in Olathe because my friend said I would probably miss my flight due to it taking so long to get into the original. As it turns out, my flight was delayed over 2 hours but that's another story.

As much as I wanted the Z-Man samich and/or ribs, I opted for their lunch special: burnt ends. At the pay end of the counter I saw them serving Z-Man samiches and I was starting to regret my decision. Those Z-Man samiches looked delicious! But being that this was my first visit, I wanted to taste their brisket "nakid".

When I saw the "burnt ends", I was a little disappointed. They were not what I think of as "burnt" ends as they were basically cubes of brisket...sauced and nothing burnt about them. And for $9.99, I thought the portion were very small too.

All that said, the brisket was delicious! And so were their cole slaw and fries. I regret no taking any photos but it was the first time in over 10 years since I had seen my friend so I was a little pre-occupied.

And yes, I DID go to The Kansas City BBQ store and purchased a couple cookbooks.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:18 PM   #7
Neil
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I went to OK Joe's this past Saturday and to the KC BBQ store. Burnt ends were not available then. http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=167732

Mange Bene Viva Bene!

Old Country Over/Under, Weber: 18.5" WSM, 22.5" WSM, Weber Performer(Col. Steve Austin Mod), Two 22.5" Kettles, & a Smokey Joe; Old Country 36" griddle, Luhr-Jensen Big Chief, Turkey Fryer, Rocky Mountain Camp Stove and a UDS.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:51 PM   #8
Dallas Dan
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I went to OK Joe's this past Saturday and to the KC BBQ store. Burnt ends were not available then. http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=167732
Interesting read about your visit. The line was not near that long when I was there but then it was Monday at about 12:45.

When I saw burnt ends on the chalkboard as the lunch special, I looked for them on the main menu to see how "special" the price was. I couldn't find them on the main menu. It's best that they not sell it every day because they weren't true burnt ends. (wish I had taken a picture)

I'll be back in Olathe in a couple of months so next time I'm going for the Z-Man and a couple ribs on the side.
Old 08-10-2013, 03:24 AM   #9
Hawg Father of Seoul
is One Chatty Farker

You just learned something about KCBS BBQ and KC BBQ in one trip.
Hawg Father of Seoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 06:23 AM   #10
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Their ribs were excellent, but I wasn't impressed with the burnt ends. I just can't get my mind around the Z-Man, so didn't try it.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote