Votes: 7 13.5%
  • American Royal

Votes: 16 30.8%
  • Jack Daniels

Votes: 29 55.8%

• Total voters
S

SmokeInDaEye

So I got an invite to the GAB Invitational in the mail today. I'll be the first to admit, I don't know much about the GAB but I know people love it. If you had to pick between the AR Invitational, GAB Invitational and the Jack (assuming you were in the draw and got your bung pulled), which would you take and why?

Last edited by a moderator:
I love the GAB. I had to pick AR though because it's just, well, you know, so freaking big, crazy and all that. I don't know Jack, never been there.

I don't know much about he GAB. You can enter the Royal.......so I choose the Jack. You have to be darn good and a little lucky to get into that contest.

I don't know much about he GAB. You can enter the Royal.......so I choose the Jack. You have to be darn good and a little lucky to get into that contest.

I think the GAB has an open contest too according to the paperwork, but what I meant to say is between the GAB Invitational, the AR Invitational and the Jack.

Well, you can't "pick" to go to the Jack...so kind of a weird poll.

I think the GAB has an open contest too according to the paperwork, but what I meant to say is between the GAB Invitational, the AR Invitational and the Jack.
Oh, had I understood it that way, I would have chosen the Jack.

Well, you can't "pick" to go to the Jack...so kind of a weird poll.

Yeah. Maybe a mod can fix the poll? The issue is, I have a very limited budget and heavy work schedule so I may only get a shot at one of these this year (if any). I hope to win a GC again but can't count on it so I don't want to waste the opportunity.

Actually, one can opt out of the Jack draw if qualified, so that kind of works as a backwards option. I could see where a team could do one big trip for the year, and have to pick one. Last year, for us, that was the Jack.

In our case, it has a lot to do with where the dates fall and what doesn't conflict with something in our relevant Team of the Year race. But apart from that, there's the mystique of the invitational. You have to be good, *and* you have to be lucky. And there's no denying, it's an experience like no other.

Maybe some year, we'll get to hit more than one.

The GAB is the next best thing to the royal...You get TX teams invited as well.

The Royal is an experience - 400+ teams, and the people... it is what it is... (that is a pain to get in and out of, tiring, long walks, etc ,etc...) but nothing like it. I have always had fun there. It's "the royal"!!!

The GAB is over 200 teams, has an invitational, and has the World Brisket Open... Alot of the things that are issues at the Royal, have not been at the GAB(easy access in/out, Good Power, Plenty of volunteers, etc. So it is alot of fun, and a fixture for my spring planning - but it isnt the Royal. I've gotten to take a couple of good walks at the GAB - including a 1st in Chicken 2 years ago. It was AWESOME! But Nothing, comes even close to walking up on the stage at the Royal. I can't explain it - maybe it is the history there with the royal... The GAB is "new" in comparison.

both are great parties, both are great tests of skill... only one is "the royal" ---

Having said that - I would choose the Jack. It isnt really the same ballpark though. The Jack is not going to send you an invitation - you have to get your Draw. The GAB and Royal will send you your invitations based on your win. So Pick one of them - and save a couple days vacation for the October fling.

Yeah. Maybe a mod can fix the poll? The issue is, I have a very limited budget and heavy work schedule so I may only get a shot at one of these this year (if any). I hope to win a GC again but can't count on it so I don't want to waste the opportunity.

Putting it this way.... If you may only get one shot... take the bird in the hand. The GAB will be lighter on the budget, and it is early. So you are assured to go.

the Royal is later in the year, so you might have work/budget issues by then... The Jack - is a crapshoot.... so dont hang hat on going to it over the others. If it didnt pan out, you'd kick yourself for missing one of the others.

You don't know if you are in the Jack until it's too late to accept the invites to the GAB and the Royal. Unfortuntely, KC is 1100 miles each way, doing that makes for a lot of driving, extra expense and planning ahead of time. I would plan for one in KC and save a couple of days for the Jack if you get drawn; otherwise, use the vacation at Christmas.

Like Andy said, go to the GAB. It's early in the year.
The Royal is just a few weeks before the Jack.
IF you get drawn for the Jack and have already entered the Royal, your plan will get all farkled up. But if you go to the GAB in May, you might still be able to finagle the time off and scrape the funds together to go to Lynchburg in late October.

I just can't decide. :wink: At the GAB, I get to win Pork with Randy. At the AMR, I get to win Pork with Andy. Randy or Andy? Andy or Randy? :rolleyes: Kim, wanna go to the Jack? :biggrin:

Attachments

• 2008 pork awards 003 [640x480].JPG
    2008 pork awards 003 [640x480].JPG
    86.2 KB · Views: 222
  • american royal bbq 2008 035 [640x480].JPG
    american royal bbq 2008 035 [640x480].JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 221
  • P5250022 [Wordpress].JPG
    P5250022 [Wordpress].JPG
    35.9 KB · Views: 221
So who's having the Friday night party this year at the GAB?

If I could only do one it would have to be the Jack. It's harder to get in & closer than the Royal. Never been to the GAB - got the invite the other day but haddn't planned on it so I can't make it happen.

Tom

As others have pointed out, I wouldn't putt all of my eggs in the Jack basket. You have to commit to either the GAB or Royal invitationals before the draw.

Without question the Jack is the most exclusive. It takes luck and skill to get in. Skill to win a qualifier, and luck to get your bung pulled (unless you won the increasingly rare automatic, or won 7). It may be the most 'special' of the big contests.

At the Royal you cook against any invitational team that's willing and able to show up. If you need redemption the following day you can cook again, against the majority of those teams and 300-400 more:mrgreen: I can't put a price on seeing Scottyd taking his walk and explaining that the secret to his ribs was overcooking them:lol::mrgreen:, watching Phil collect his ribbon for 13th place chicken, Yankeebbq WINNING chicken. I'll make the trip to Kansas City this year whether I'm cooking with someone or not.

I haven't been to the GAB, but I'd like to make the trip one of these days because of the good things that I've heard about it.

Nothing wrong with the GAB, in fact I'd guess it's much more cook friendly compared to the Royal. I think the Royal is a one of a kind, as is the Jack. But the Jack is a one of a kind in a different way. Due to the way teams are selected for the Jack, I don't think it can be compared to the GAB and Royal which are on paper nearly identical.

This smile is still on my face:

Attachments

• 5th place pork - AM 2008.jpg
    5th place pork - AM 2008.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 150
I'll make the trip to Kansas City this year whether I'm cooking with someone or not.

quote]

I'm interviewing next weekend in LR for Security for the Royal...

Back