• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

CyberQ and cold weather.

Charcoal_Addict

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Winter is coming up very soon. What kind of Pit-Master let's a little cold stop them. At the same time it's nice to sit inside enjoy a warm cup of spiked hot chocolate versus heading outside in the bitter cold to make vent adjustments.

Temps below zero F or - 25 C if you're also from Canada can be an issue for the CyberQ Wifi. What are my fellow Stoker and CyberQ users doing to protect their temp controlers during the bitter cold in the winter? What are you using to cover the fans and the Controler box?

Put the controller in a plastic box with a heating pad and a small towel between the pad and controller. Run wires out of the box. I used PVC piping down turning so no water would get in. For the fan I use a tin can that I cut a hole out of and put over the fan. Blocks rain and snow from the fan and electronics.

Winter is coming up very soon. What kind of Pit-Master let's a little cold stop them. At the same time it's nice to sit inside enjoy a warm cup of spiked hot chocolate versus heading outside in the bitter cold to make vent adjustments.

Temps below zero F or - 25 C if you're also from Canada can be an issue for the CyberQ Wifi. What are my fellow Stoker and CyberQ users doing to protect their temp controlers during the bitter cold in the winter? What are you using to cover the fans and the Controler box?

That's a great question. I have a new Pitmaker pit on the way so this winter I'm going to learn how to use it without having to rely too much on my CyberQ.

The display may not want to work but I would think the internals would work just like a DigiQ. Ive used a DigiQ in 10 below weather

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lS5L7l9VZLU"]Build This BBQ Electronics Rain Box For Your Thermometer, iQue, Guru, Stoker! - YouTube[/ame]

This is the weather box for the pitmasterIQ. That concept could be modified for the Gurus.

It doesn't get that cold here but this is what I use for the wind & rain.

Thanks Guys.

One idea I have to cut and and to customize a space blanket to cover the fan while making sure that the blanket does not make contact with the stainless vent on the Big Joe.

The fan doesnt really need protection, but if it is sleeting or raining, Ill take a piece of foil and crimp it around the fan. When the logo on the fan is pointed up, the fan intakes the air from underneath so the foil is just an ez up for the fan

Cooler with heating pad and towels, and Ziplocks contianers to protect fans in rain.... and store them in.

20121119164412799.jpg

img4075na.jpg

img3896o.jpg

Cooler with heating pad and towels, and Ziplocks contianers to protect fans in rain.... and store them in.

20121119164412799.jpg

img4075na.jpg

img3896o.jpg

Now we're talking. You must be from Canada too then ---Ay---We'll live up to a Canadian Stereotype for at least one post.

• Thanks
Reactions: pwa
Now we're talking. You must be from Canada too then ---Ay---We'll live up to a Canadian Stereotype for at least one post.

He lives in the same town Santa Claus lives. North Pole, Alaska! He has put up a couple threads of where he is cooking in -40 and -50 degree weather.

• Thanks
He lives in the same town Santa Claus lives. North Pole, Alaska! He has put up a couple threads of where he is cooking in -40 and -50 degree weather.

He's got me beat. The coldest it gets in my neck of the woods is -38 C. That only happens every 5- 10 years. Most winters the bad days are -20C to - 32.

I don't think anyone in the lower half of Alberta would survive a -50C. BC would have a population surge overnight.

Not that anyone should be competing for anything in the minuses to begin with...

• Thanks
We'll see who is laughing when you are shoveling snow and we are smiling at all the sunshine piled up in our driveways.:-D

Back