MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-21-2011, 10:01 AM   #106
Big D BBQ
On the road to being a farker

Just read this whole thread from the beginning. After a rough start, the thread came around and is very entertaining.

Keep up the good work, and I might just send you Big D's BBQ sauce :)
Big D BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2011, 12:03 PM   #107
infernooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Dogs View Post
Curious, any better mustard sauces (in your opinion)?
Yes Sir, and I will give you a big hint... it is coming up in the next review, so you might want to send your friend that one (or even both) ;)
infernooo is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-21-2011, 12:52 PM   #108
h00kemh0rns

Quote:
Originally Posted by infernooo View Post

So far, here is the order of the sauces I will be trying:

#1 btcg (http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/bi...-bbq-sauce.htm)
#2 Mister Bob (http://thehogblog.com/?p=34)
#3 Lake Dogs (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...7&postcount=11)
#4 Roxy's S.C mustard sauce (sent via PM - http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/bi...-bbq-sauce.htm)
#5 SoFlaQuer's Carolina mustard sauce (sent via PM - http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...-mustard-sauce)

#6 landarc (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...6&postcount=26)
#7 big brother smoke (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...4&postcount=31)
#8 wampus (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...3&postcount=36)
#9 phyphor (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...8&postcount=39)
#10 gixxer (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...5&postcount=40)
#11 justjack (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...4&postcount=41)
#12 Lake Dogs (2) (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...0&postcount=42)
#13 fattymac (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...2&postcount=43)
#14 1FUNVET (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...6&postcount=45)
#15 hmacmill (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...7&postcount=46)
Do you have an updated list of recipes you'll be trying? Thanks!
h00kemh0rns is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2011, 02:10 PM   #109
Ryan_289
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h00kemh0rns View Post
Infernoo...out of all of those. What are your top 10 commercial sauces you've tried?

X2. I really like this thread and love trying different sauces. Help a newb out on some commercially available sauce
Ryan_289 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2011, 02:23 PM   #110
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

Not to hijack infernooo's thread, but for commercial sauces it really depends first
on whether you want the sauce to have artificial smoke flavoring in it or not. If
your meat leans on the bland side you might prefer to have the smoke flavor come from the sauce. If this is the case, by a large
margin, my favorite is Head Country. It's a well balanced sauce but with quite a bit
of hickory smoke flavorings in it. I like this on hamburgers when I'm not in the mood
for ketchup and mustard... Otherwise, I really dont need extra smoke flavor.

For a vinegar sauce, so far I haven't found anything over the counter in the league
with Blues Hog Tennessee Red. It is FABULOUS all by itself. We use it straight up
on pork and it is included as part of our competition sauce. It's going to be tough to
find a better vinegar sauce anywhere/anytime. Note: It is spicy!
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-21-2011, 05:29 PM   #111
infernooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by h00kemh0rns View Post
Infernoo...out of all of those. What are your top 10 commercial sauces you've tried?
Ouch, that is a hard question... I will have to think about that one ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex View Post
Hey infernooo, to date what is the best sauce you have ever tried? Home made or store bought.... either one.

Thanks!
As above, let me think about that! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_289 View Post
X2. I really like this thread and love trying different sauces. Help a newb out on some commercially available sauce
Thanks for the kind words, I will come up with some recommendations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Dogs View Post
Not to hijack infernooo's thread, but for commercial sauces it really depends first
on whether you want the sauce to have artificial smoke flavoring in it or not. If
your meat leans on the bland side you might prefer to have the smoke flavor come from the sauce. If this is the case, by a large
margin, my favorite is Head Country. It's a well balanced sauce but with quite a bit
of hickory smoke flavorings in it. I like this on hamburgers when I'm not in the mood
for ketchup and mustard... Otherwise, I really dont need extra smoke flavor.

For a vinegar sauce, so far I haven't found anything over the counter in the league
with Blues Hog Tennessee Red. It is FABULOUS all by itself. We use it straight up
on pork and it is included as part of our competition sauce. It's going to be tough to
find a better vinegar sauce anywhere/anytime. Note: It is spicy!
Lake Dogs is spot on, it really does depend what you are looking for in a sauce, and if you want a sweet, spicy, vinegar-based, thick or thin sauce, with or without smoke flavour.

LakeDogs: I have found another sauce that I would say is a competitor with blues hog red, and it is Smihfield's Chicken 'N Bar-B-Q Grilling & Dipping Sauce (http://www.smithfieldschicken.com)

Old 02-21-2011, 06:10 PM   #112
mcoupe

Great thread! Thanks for all your trouble....
mcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2011, 12:30 AM   #113
TIMMAY
is One Chatty Farker

Man I have a ways to go till you get to my sauce...
TIMMAY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2011, 08:32 AM   #114
nthole
Babbling Farker

Hey infernooo, I'll throw my original into the mix. It's pretty popular with our subdivision at least! Always asked if we'll bottle and sell it. I can't wait to see your opinion. Lately we've been increasing the honey and decreasing the molasses, but keeping the total of both to 3/4 cup.

Pork Pistols Original

6 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon chili powder
2 teaspoon black pepper
2 teaspoon garlic powder
2 teaspoon onion powder

4 cup ketchup
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup molasses
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup Worcestershire
1/4 cup Jack Daniels
2 tablespoon yellow mustard
2 teaspoon liquid smoke

Mix all ingredients and bring to a simmer. Blend to smooth if any spices have chunked.

makes 5 cups.
Pork Pistols BBQ
MOFO Illuminati

MOINK...It's what's for linner.
nthole is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2011, 09:17 PM   #115
stglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by infernooo View Post

LakeDogs: I have found another sauce that I would say is a competitor with blues hog red, and it is Smihfield's Chicken 'N Bar-B-Q Grilling & Dipping Sauce (http://www.smithfieldschicken.com)
Ditto on the Smithfields.... I've found it to be a great all around vinegar sauce. Little kick, but not over powering. Meat flavor, smokey goodness, still comes through....
Charbroil Quantum 5 burner
Brinkman SKD Offset w/ Mods
[/COLOR][/FONT][/B]
stglide is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-22-2011, 10:34 PM   #116
infernooo

Our next sauce is #5!

#5 SoFlaQuer's Carolina Mustard Sauce (http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...-mustard-sauce)

I've seen alot of different inputs on this type of sauce, which happens to be one of my all time favorites. I love it on ribs and certain smoked pork. Most standard recipes I have found to be too vinegary or bland. It has taken me years to perfect this recipe to my taste. Too much of this, or not enough of that can ruin this type of sauce very easily. So I hope you enjoy this as much as I do!

SoFlaQuer's Carolina Mustard Sauce

¾ Cup Yellow Mustard
¾ Cup Red Wine Vinegar
½ Cup White Sugar
3 Tbsp. Dark Brown Sugar
2 Tbsp. Butter

2 Tsp. Salt
½ Tbsp. Worcestershire Sauce (Lea & Perrins)
½ Tsp. Soy Sauce
½ Tsp. Tabasco Sauce
1½ Tsp. Course Ground Black Pepper
1 Tsp. White Pepper

In a medium saucepan, combine ingredients, stirring to blend. Bring to boil, then lower to simmer for at least 30 minutes. Let stand at room temperature 1 hour before serving.

TIP: I use a handheld upright blender at the simmer point to really give it a good blend and aerate the sauce. It makes for a much smoother finished product!

Recipe Review:

Notes: Whilst the previous mustard sauce tested (Roxy's) has a large following on the smoke ring boards, this one has a large following on The Smoking Meat Forums. As such, expectations were again quite high. Again, as no brands were specified, I used all-USA brands (penzeys spices, vinegar, french's mustard etc).

Ingredients: The recipe involves many of the usual suspects for a mustard sauce, but also some interesting additions (red wine vinegar rather than the usual white or apple, butter, a splash of soy). The tabasco to give it a touch of background heat (mainly relying on the mustard), with black and white pepper to provide a bit of tongue-heat (rather than the tabasco which tends to hit the throat). Whilst they are usually contained in US style yellow mustard (in contrast to their British/European counterparts), the sauce does not have the "usual" garlic and onion (either in dried or fresh form) contained in a lot of BBQ sauces.

Ease of preparation: Nice and easy, with only a moderate cooking time required and a short resting time.

Modifications and variations tested: The sauce was tested on smoked, pulled chicken thighs, pulled pork, and sliced brisket.

Taste/Texture: Although no garlic or onion was added in any forms, I do not feel that it detracted from the sauce in any way and actually provided a unique aspect by not having these common background flavours. In regards to texture, as the sauce is cooked for a decent amount of time, the sauce takes on a thicker, darker, cooked flavour, reminiscent of bottled mustard sauces. Having said that, it is not cooked long enough to kill all freshness or sharpness of the mustard, and I feel it gives a nice balance between the fresh tang of an uncooked, or short cooked mustard sauce (Roxy's mustard sauce for example), and that of a heavily reduced, concentrated one. Not overly spicy, but a good combination of heat from the mustard, tabasco and peppers (white and black) which all provide a different type of heat (nasal from the mustard, throat from the tabasco, and tongue from the peppers). The butter gives it a slight shine, and rounds out the flavours very nicely (as you all know, fat helps to carry flavours), and the soy provides that slight bit of background umami (MSG like attribute). The red wine vinegar provides the tangy aspect, bringing in a new element to the sauce setting it apart from others (if you have a good, aged red wine vinegar, I would imagine it would be even more complex and interesting).

Recommendations: As with Roxy's mustard sauce, heat lovers may like to add some chipotle hot sauce or more tabasco to give it a bit more kick.

Ratings:

Appearance: 7/10 Not a stunning bright yellow, but not an ugly-as-hell dull brown colour either. I found the sauce had a nice shine and a good balance of colour with speckles from the added spices and a slight tinge of colour from the red wine vinegar, soy and wooster sauce. Not dark enough to stain pulled pork extensively, but not light enough to get lost in the mix either.

Consistency: 8/10 A great consistency - pourable when warm, a bit thicker when cool, but a great consistency for either dipping, mixing with pulled meats or brushing over/glazing meats.

Taste: 8/10 Due to the combination of ingredients (and use of some "different" ingredients when compared to other BBQ sauces), I found the sauce had a GREAT balance of sweet, salty, spicy and sour with a touch of umami (i.e. it hit all 5 tastes!), none of these being too dominant. It has a nice tangy note to it, with a slight kick from the mustard, tabasco and peppers, as well as a good amount of sweetness from the sugars.

Versatility: 8/10 Whilst this sauce is said to be used primarily on pork, I was surprised to find how well it also worked on brisket. As brisket is quite strongly flavoured, this sauce is bold enough to stand up to it, but not overpower it as some smokey, heavy tomato-based sauces can. Some may find it strange to recommend a mustard sauce for brisket, but you have to remember that many cuisines pair beef with mustard (aussies, british roast beef with mustard, french steaks with dijon, german cured meats with mustard etc), and so it actually pairs very nicely if one wants to have some sauce on the side. It would be quite good as a glaze on ribs, but a suitable rub would have to be used - one not too sweet, but with a bit of heat. As for pulled pork or chicken, it is a no brainer - a match made in heaven.

Overall Rating: 8/10. Not only an outstanding mustard sauce, but just an outstanding sauce overall. Pitted against many tomato or vinegar based sauces, it is much more versatile and provides a unique texture which works well with a variety of meats. Even though it is "designed" for pork, it really does not need any messing around with or tweaking to work with different barbecue foods. The only thing some people MAY want to do is increase the amount of heat in it. My only other comment would be to always have it warm or hot, not cold.

Photos of sauce construction:

1.) The ingredients:

Clockwise from bottom left:

Wooster Sauce + Tabasco + Soy Sauce, Black + White Pepper, Salt, Red Wine Vinegar, Butter + Mustard, Brown + White Sugar

2.)
Ingredients in the pot:

3.) Sauce brought to the boil:

3.) Sauce after blending and slight cooling:

Next up, landarcs sauce!

Last edited by infernooo; 02-22-2011 at 11:01 PM..

Old 02-22-2011, 10:41 PM   #117
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Good luck on that. I mean, great, look forward to it. I gotta try these mustard sauces, it is something not really in my BBQ repertoire.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2011, 12:22 AM   #118
TIMMAY
is One Chatty Farker

Ditto on that one...
TIMMAY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2011, 07:57 AM   #119
greg of the BGE

IMO Billy Bones makes the best sauce.

But unless he is posting from his place in Bad Axe Michigan we aren't going to find out what his recipe is. But his sauce makes everyone else's pale in comparison.

Michelbob in FL has really good sauce too but theirs is almost something you could do at home. I can't even get close to Billy Bones recipe at home.
greg of the BGE is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2011, 08:03 AM   #120
Dustin D
Full Fledged Farker

I like this kind below. It's called 'MINE'

Dustin D is offline   Reply With Quote