are there any homemade mayo experts on the forum?

deepsouth

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
so, i don't eat mayo unless i make it, which isn't a problem as it takes almost no time to make it from scratch, but i have run into consistency problems with it. it's never too thin, but it's not always the consistency i'd like it.

this weekend, i'm looking to make a base mayo and then several variations from that, jalapeno, bbq, garlic and finally a spicy one using either garlic chili or sriracha.

for this project, i'm wanting a nice thick (and fluffy) mayo as the base since the other components will thin it down.

my usual ingredients in this type of mayo is...

vegetable oil
lime juice
rice wine vinegar
salt
sugar

my questions are.....

for a thick and fluffy mayo, should i used whole egg or just the egg whites (or does this have no bearing on thickness)?

does the acid from the lime and vinegar have anything to do with the thickness of the finished product and if so, does more or less thicken it?

any tips would be appreciated.

thanks in advance.

I use just egg yolks.

I use vinegar in mine because the acidity is more concentrated than lemon juice, yielding less watery mayo. I've never tried it but a stronger more concentrated vinegar might even be better.

If you want some mustard in the mayo, use very finely ground mustard powder instead of ballpark mustard.

Btw, you can repair a broken mayo easily by taking a small amount of storebought mayo, put it in a container and start working your broken mayo into it ( a little trick I learned from James Peterson book).

I use just egg yolks.

I use vinegar in mine because the acidity is more concentrated than lemon juice, yielding less watery mayo. I've never tried it but a stronger more concentrated vinegar might even be better.

If you want some mustard in the mayo, use very finely ground mustard powder instead of ballpark mustard.

Btw, you can repair a broken mayo easily by taking a small amount of storebought mayo, put it in a container and start working your broken mayo into it ( a little trick I learned from James Peterson book).

try as i might, i have never been able to break mayo, thankfully.

more acid = less watery? am i reading that right?

try as i might, i have never been able to break mayo, thankfully.

more acid = less watery? am i reading that right?

I find that if I use a more concentrated acid (say vinegar compared to lemon juice for example), i get a thicker mayo. To get the same amount of desirable tang in your mayo you'd have to use plenty more lemon juice than you would vinegar, therefore a thinner mayo.

The acid is there to help with keeping everything emulsified. You can do away with it if you emulsify carefully, and will get a creamier end product. Also, the oil matters. Try making a batch without any citrus or vinegar, and then try a couple different oils. You'll find one that works for you, I'm sure.

As for yolks/whites, I use both just because I want to use the whole egg, but I've had good creamy mayos made with just whites, so that may be something to try as well.

Jason, just buy Duke's and quit tryin' to be all fancy!:caked::laugh:

I don't eat plain mayo, but when using it in recipes and cooking with it, Dukes is the ONLY way to go!!!!

I've often thought about making some homemade to see I would like it.

I use hard boiled egg yokes and one raw yoke for my potato salad.
3 hard-boiled egg yolks, still warm
1 raw egg yolk
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1 cup vegetable oil
In a large mixing bowl, mash the cooked yolks very well with a fork. Add the raw yolk and vinegar and beat with a metal whisk or large spoon for a few seconds until very creamy. Gradually add the oil in a thin steady stream, whisking constantly or stirring briskly and mak­ing sure all the oil is incorporated before adding more. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving.

I don't eat plain mayo, but when using it in recipes and cooking with it, Dukes is the ONLY way to go!!!!

I've often thought about making some homemade to see I would like it.

you should try it! with a hand mixer, it takes me about two minutes from start to finish.

also, i don't heat store bought mayo either, never have. but i needed it for things i did like, so i started making my own...

I use the whole Egg in mine it make it lighter/fluffier 1large egg = 2 yokes in any mayo recipe.
I make mine in a Blender I blend the egg with the Acid of choice and other ingredients on high then drop to low and stream slowly at first a few drops at a time up to a thin stream. if it is to thick thin it with a little water.

I use whole egg, because it is easier and I don't have a half an egg. I also use vinegar, unless I want lemon as a flavor. Vinegar just means less liquid for the same amount of acidity. You COULD use an emulsifier, such as powdered mustard, some type of gum. etc...but, that is adding stuff just for texture. If I want to add lemon, I will grate some zest and muddle that into the vinegar. It takes on the lemon aroma without adding water. Excess liquid will be your problem.

Commercial mayonnaise makers use things such as guar gum and xanthan gum to aid in keeping the texture dense and emulsified. They also use a commercial vinegar or commercial lemon extract, which is much more concentrated than household vinegar or real lemon juice.

Eggs are emulsions of fat and water themselves, lecithin and cholesterol being the only emulsifying agents.
Mustard is a good emulsifying agent, so I use some.
White vinegar.
I use yolks, a neutral oil and all in a jug with a stick blender.
2 minutes, nary a hitch.
I use sunflower oil, but if I want EVOO flavour I whisk that in later in a bowl.

Hard water will make a difference Jason.

I use only yolks (no whites), since they have all the lecithin. And I use a yolk for every half cup of oil, more than most yolk recipes call for, which I think makes it thicker. Like bucaneer I use a little mustard powder, since that's an aid to emulsification. Greater thickness still could probably be achieved by subbing cream of tartar for a portion of the vinegar. (To make sugarless Miracle Whip type dressing without having it get thinned out, I add Splenda and cream of tartar, instead of more vinegar, to mayo.)

For homemade mayo, all of your emulsification will come from the lecithin in egg yolks. Egg whites really have no functionality. To make thicker and more airy mayo you need less moisture and incorporate more air/whip in to your blending. Not sure what grain vinegar you're using but typical white distilled in 100 grain or 10% acid. Rice wine vinegar can be 50 grain or 5% so could possibly use half as much white vinegar to achieve the same level of acidity. To make fluffier mayo, just turn up the mix speed incorporate more air into it while mixing. If you have a stand mixer, you could use the whisk attachment.

Back