MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-07-2013, 01:06 PM   #1
Longo1908
On the road to being a farker

Default Johnny Triggs Ribs

Can anyone advise what he means by tiger sauce? Is it homemade or is it already bottled under that name? Lastly, does anyone know his actual recipe?

Old 02-07-2013, 01:08 PM   #2
jonboy
is One Chatty Farker

tiger sauce is available at wally world
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tiger-The-...Sauce/13442798
jon
jonboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2013, 01:09 PM   #3
Marwendholt

Around here there is a brand of sauce called tiger sauce. It tastes like a sweet hot sauce, and comes in a hot sauce bottle.

EDIT: jonboy beat me to it

Old 02-07-2013, 01:18 PM   #4
Pappy
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longo1908 View Post
Lastly, does anyone know his actual recipe?
I doubt if anyone would share that kind if recipe. He charges for BBQ classes that teach you how to BBQ ribs. It would not be right to just post it on the internet for free.

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-07-2013, 01:53 PM   #5
NRF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy View Post
I doubt if anyone would share that kind if recipe. He charges for BBQ classes that teach you how to BBQ ribs. It would not be right to just post it on the internet for free.
And if they did, Johhny would have to reach into his boot...

Old 02-07-2013, 01:57 PM   #6
BBQ Bandit
Babbling Farker

There was an in depth investigation by a Brethren brother here...

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ighlight=trigg

Former smokers;
Lang 84 Deluxe kitchen, Lang 60 Mobile - The Damsel II, Lang 48 Patio - The Damsel, Bubba Keg Grill - RIP, Double Barrel Smoker and a BSKD
BBQ Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2013, 02:26 PM   #7
Motley Q

You can buy tiger sauce anywhere.

Don't forget to add the heart attack in a bottle margarine to your trigg ribs.
Motley Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2013, 02:35 PM   #8
DubfromGA
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longo1908 View Post
Can anyone advise what he means by tiger sauce? Is it homemade or is it already bottled under that name? Lastly, does anyone know his actual recipe?
Netflix has first two seasons of BBQ Pitmasters.

Watch those and you'll get a pretty good idea.

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-07-2013, 02:40 PM   #9
John Bowen
is Blowin Smoke!

Last year I went to visit some friends who were cooking at a comp and Johnny Trigg there was cooking as well. He was set up next to Rod Gray of Pellet Envy. Johnny Trigg was by himself and I went up to talk with him. He had just put his ribs on to cook. I can’t remember the time but it was early morning. We talked for about an hour and I was surprised he spoke with me for so long and nobody else came up. I said my good byes and headed to see my friends.

About two hours later I walked by his smoker and he called me over and asked me to give him a hand. We cleaned up his area and got ready to wrap his ribs. He pulled the ribs out and foiled them – he used brown sugar, honey and parkay – no liquid. I asked why and he said that “there will be enough liquid in there”. We put the ribs back on and sat back down. He kept talking to me so I just stayed – he pulled out water and gave me one. Now people kept coming up and I felt that I was in the way so I tried to leave – he kept calling me back. I was more than happy to stay. He later told me that he wanted me to carry his boxes in for turn in. As he placed his ribs in the turn in box he moved six aside. I told him those ribs look so good he should put a seventh in for the Table Captain. He said he did not give a damn about the table captain but he would put an extra one in anyway. When I turned the ribs in and came back he gave me 2 bones.

After the turn ins I told him I had to get back to my friends and he took a picture with me and helped him clean up. The funny part was when I got back to my buddies they wanted to know where I was and when I told they I was helping Johnny Trigg they thought I was BS them. At the awards call Johnny Trigg came by and slapped me on the back and said “thanks for your help today” and my buddie’s jaw dropped.

Two months later I saw him at Memphis in May cooking with a group – he waved at me but I don’t think he remembered me.

My brush with fame!
John Bowen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2013, 02:45 PM   #10
DubfromGA
is One Chatty Farker

Cool story, bro. ^^^^^^^^^

Seems crazy that he'd leave turn-in to someone he just met? Trusty soul.

Old 02-07-2013, 02:49 PM   #11
GrillsGoneWild
is one Smokin' Farker

Like it says in the other thread, if you follow the same technique as Johnny don't be surprised you get different results. Basically Johnny has found the right flavor profile with his rub and foil concoction he has. With a different rub, you will most definitely get different results.

Old 02-07-2013, 02:50 PM   #12
stephan
is one Smokin' Farker

Cool story. It must have been interesting to chat with him
stephan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2013, 02:54 PM   #13
John Bowen
is Blowin Smoke!

It was great but at first really awkward – I did not want to say something stupid but when we got into working I relaxed and really enjoyed the conversation. When I get home tonight I will try and find the picture.

Old 02-07-2013, 03:02 PM   #14
John Bowen
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Seems crazy that he'd leave turn-in to someone he just met? Trusty soul.
I would like to think I have a "trusty turn in" face. Besides who would want to go through history as the guy who screwed up Johnny Trigg's turn in box. I don't treat my own turn in boxes like I did his.

Old 02-07-2013, 03:08 PM   #15
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

great story man!
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote