“Honeymonk’s” aka Lexington Barbecue

ShadowDriver

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Quick place holder / teaser as I’ve just devoured an old favorite - Large Chopped Tray with a Cheerwine.

17d2be47017ce511ee94c65843934a05.jpg

I don’t think anything has changed around here since we’re last here in the late 2000s. Oh, how I’ve missed this place!

More to follow and kind regards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty sure biscuitville saved my life.

I'm originally from Charlotte... about an hour South. I'm a HUGE Bojangles fan (originally started in the Charlotte area). It's probably better for my waistline that they haven't made it anywhere close to NM.

BREAK BREAK

We fought through plenty of rain from the TN/NC border, and pulled into Honeymonk's around 1400... just as the lunch rush was calming.

5yBeWa4h.jpg

As we climbed out of the car, the smell was intoxicating.

YtiUntlh.jpg

0syYMWCh.jpg

Here's a quick look at the menu.

BACTZ0eh.jpg

hWF1ChMh.jpg

CINCHOUSE grabbed a chopped barbecue plate with "rolls" (that's Lexington talk for "burger buns"). I couldn't help but pick up a large chopped tray.

The slaw is a "red slaw," and alternates between a hit of sweet and a hit of tangy vinegar. Big fan.

The chopped barbecue is fairly finely chopped, and is lightly "dressed" with some crushed red pepper and some sort of light sauce. The porkyness still comes through with a light hickory smoke.

Their Smokehouse Sauce is a bolder compliment to the flavor of the 'cue... not a cover-up.

I don't think that the decor has changed in the last 20-30 years, but it's neat and clean.

If you're in the area, I'd highly recommend a stop. It's been family-run since the beginning (I swear the whole extended family kicks in... with aunts, uncles, cousins, and the kids during the summer).

Haven't been there in years!

Where did you grow up, Marc? I think we may be from the same area.

Where did you grow up, Marc? I think we may be from the same area.

I'm from all across the state, brother.

Raleigh, Rocky Mount, Boone, Blowing Rock, Charlotte (the longest, and until I departed for school).

I do NOT pass the honeymonk without taking at least one whole shoulder. Ideally one cold and one hot if I remember to pack a hot/cold cooler.

Perfect example of the different flavor that direct heat from burned coals gives off compared to indirect. Carolina style at a high level.

I didn't know you could get a whole shoulder!

Heck, we'd usually go home with 3-4 lb of chopped for the freezer.

Can't go by that BBQ restaurant without stopping! :thumb:

Back