MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-25-2011, 11:57 AM   #1
Liquordude
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default My First Two UDS Builds w/ Pics

After spending several weeks reading EVERY post in the mother of all UDS threads, I built a couple myself. I didn't re-invent the wheel, rather I followed those before me and built them rather simple (Thanks to everyone in that thread!!!). I bought two drums, one open top with a liner and one unlined closed top. I didn't have a Weber for a lid for the closed top drum, but I do have a friend with metal working tools and skills that I talked into fabricating a lid for me!

While I'm not big into the competition scene, some friends and I do a couple of local events each year. The first event was last weekend at the 24th Annual Founder's Day Festival in Dripping Springs, Texas. This year had 130 teams competing. We fininshed 4th in Chicken and made the final table (top 20) with our Brisket, Fajitas, and second Chicken entry. There is also a Best Pit competition and I entered my new UDS almost as a joke as there are some really nice, expensive offset pits out there. Well, the judges were impressed enough to award me 3rd Place !!!

Liquordude is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2011, 01:44 PM   #2
AustinKnight
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : D

Congrats on the wins, wow 3rd in pit they must be longhorn fans those ribs look good too and that dripping springs vodka is really good anyone that likes good vodka needs to try it.

Old 04-25-2011, 01:52 PM   #3
Skidder
Babbling Farker

Congrats ain't it great? Nice job on the drums I will never understand why people don't just make and cook on a simple drum. They work great. Why spend $$ for no reason.
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2011, 02:01 PM   #4
Liquordude

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinKnight View Post
that dripping springs vodka is really good anyone that likes good vodka needs to try it.
It is good stuff, isn't it. I met the owner several months back at my liquor store and invited him out to the cook-off. Imagine my delight when he showed up Friday afternoon with a case of vodka! It's amazing we got anything turned in after starting Saturday morning with Bloody Marys and Screwdrivers! All of my neighboring cookers sure were nice to me the rest of the weekend!!!

Old 04-25-2011, 02:55 PM   #5
JS-TX
is Blowin Smoke!

Sounds like you had a great time, way to go on the placings . Where did you get those spring handles for your UDS? The ones I've seen online cost about as much as my drum...
JS-TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2011, 03:00 PM   #6
Capozzoli
is one Smokin' Farker

If you can fins a cheap welding supply you can get chipping hammers pretty cheap. Then cut off the spring handles to use on your BBQ. Thats what Im gonna do.

Nice looking drums. You guys amaze me.

[url]http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/[/url]
[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][/COLOR]
Capozzoli is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2011, 03:20 PM   #7
Liquordude

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS-TX View Post
Sounds like you had a great time, way to go on the placings . Where did you get those spring handles for your UDS? The ones I've seen online cost about as much as my drum...
Check out this website for BBQ Parts:

http://www.kck.com/bbq_parts_accessories.html

Mine are 6" Stainless Steel and cost $11.99 with free shipping. You can get 5" regular steel for $7.99 w/ free shipping.

Old 04-25-2011, 03:42 PM   #8
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquordude View Post
It is good stuff, isn't it. I met the owner several months back at my liquor store and invited him out to the cook-off. Imagine my delight when he showed up Friday afternoon with a case of vodka! It's amazing we got anything turned in after starting Saturday morning with Bloody Marys and Screwdrivers! All of my neighboring cookers sure were nice to me the rest of the weekend!!!

I need to be friends with your friends!

Nice drums. Good to see that some folks (judges) still value things that are beautiful in there simplicity and functionality. And congrats on the awards!
[FONT=Arial Narrow][B]EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | [COLOR=red]Ladybug[/COLOR] SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with [COLOR=red]red[/COLOR] [COLOR=black]nipples[/COLOR] | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | [COLOR=black]Simpsons[/COLOR] OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | [COLOR=green]LBGE | sbge | [SIZE="1"]mini bge[/SIZE] [/COLOR] [/B][/FONT]
caliking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2011, 05:28 PM   #9
Johnny_Crunch
Babbling Farker

Nice looking cookers! Hook Em'

Old 04-25-2011, 05:58 PM   #10
martyleach
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Good job on the drums. Now get smokin'

Custom wooden handles for BBQ's made by Marty Leach (oh, that's me)
[url]http://www.amlwoodart.com[/url]
martyleach is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2011, 06:38 PM   #11
AustinKnight
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquordude View Post
LOL dam I bet those were good times, I might get hung for this but that dripping springs vodka taste better then goose to me