Is this butcher paper?

ClintHTX

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Went to my local grocery store and asked the meat market if they sell butcher paper, they said no but would hook me up with a couple of sheets. One side is paper the other side is really glossy like. Is this right or no and will it work for a brisket?
image_zpsc23f2e53.jpg

image_zpsd36e7f95.jpg

No. What you have there is called steak paper or deli paper. The coating prevents leakage. Here is a piece of steak paper on top of butcher paper, butcher paper is dull on both sides.

1-20-13005aaa.jpg

And here is a butcher paper pouch... you can see the paper does soak up some oils, but once it is saturated the leakage in minimal.

1-22-13018aa.jpg

1-22-13015aaa.jpg

I am not gonna say no but I thought butcher paper was the same on both sides.No glossy side.That looks more like freezer paper to me.I just buy the plain brown craft paper at Wallyworld that looks like the same paper old grocery bags were made of,Cheap and works great.

Where do ya'll get your butcher paper? Does your local market carry it?

My Sam's Club carries the white butcher paper in 18" widths for about $15. I went in on a group order and got 24" wide red butcher paper so I could have the same width as a counter top, which makes clean-up easy. Also the wide stuff eliminates seams when wrapping.

I've been looking for the red, but haven't been able to find it anywhere.

Here is a pic of the PLAIN BROWN craft paper from Wallyworld.Thirty inches wide and looks just like a plain brown grocery bag(which I have used for cooking for many years).MUCH cheaper than parchment paper.I would think that RED butcher paper has dye too. ???

image-113.jpg

Just a suggestion,good luck.

I do not remember.I bought it last year to wrap some country cured hams in before I hung them.I have since used it to wrap brisket,butts and other meats in to keep warm in a cooler before serving.I found it in the office supply section.

Here is a pic of the PLAIN BROWN craft paper from Wallyworld.Thirty inches wide and looks just like a plain brown grocery bag(which I have used for cooking for many years).MUCH cheaper than parchment paper.I would think that RED butcher paper has dye too. ???

image-113.jpg

Just a suggestion,good luck.

Im sure the red butcher paper has dye in it

but the red butcher paper is made for contact with food. So the dye would be safe in that case

Unless its labeled food grade I would not use it. I would rather spend $3 on parchment paper

but thats just me

Im not saying its good or bad, I just dont know. So I dont want to chance it

Does anyone know of a source for totally unwaxed, food approved paper? The Staples site does not give that information, either.

Back