• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Best Thermometers

motoeric

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Hi,

2 quick questions.

1) Is the Oregon Scientific remote thermometer any good?

2) Can you recommend any other manufacturers of quality bbq thermometers?

Thank you,

Eric

I have a Maverick ET-7 I think. Dual meat probe remote. It has worked well so far.
I have read that the Oregon Scientifis wasn't that good, on the TVWB site perhaps.

Oregon Scientific took a dump on me. Have Maverick now, still working.

I've been happy with my Maverick ET-73 -- one meat probe, one smoke chamber probe.

They have a reputation for great customer service, but I haven't needed any for the two years I have been using it.

I use the Nu-Temp and have had great luck with that. There is a special from the Weber board where you can but direct from Nu-Temp for a very good price http://nu-temp.com/tvwb/
Hope this helps,
Mike

I had a Oregon Scientific remote thermometer, but took it back. The package said it would read up to 300 something, so I was going to use it as a smoke chamber remote so I could sit inside over winter and know when to to out. Anyway, it only reads up to 199.

Probably OK if you intend on using it for a food probe, but I think you can find better. Instead of paying the $30-35 for the one probe Oregon Scientific remote thermometer, order the Maverick 73 and get the smoker and food probe for about $45.

The best thermometer is the ORANGE Thermapen. Now I do use the NuTemps for monitoring both meat and pit temps. For the money, it is an excellent multi-transmitter unit.

Has anyone seen the remote Maverick at Costco? It comes with a "meat fork" thermometer also, for $21, and change. It didn't say what model the thermometer is though.

The Oregon Scientific is good if you get one for $4.... that said some of them last forever and others will not last beyond the first cook. The drawback is that they will not read beyond 199 degrees but once my meat hit that temp, it was done or just waiting to be done. I have had a few and two of them actually lasted almost three years, then they finally crapped out and the replacements didn't work as well as the first two.

I have one. Don’t get it.
Like KC Bobby said, it only goes up to 199.
And the pre-set doneness settings is not what you may want them to be.

I have a maverick and love it, it is the dual probe, one for meat and one for the chamber.

The best thermometer is the ORANGE Thermapen. Now I do use the NuTemps for monitoring both meat and pit temps. For the money, it is an excellent multi-transmitter unit.

I thought the blue Themapen was the best ?

I use the Nu-Temp and have had great luck with that. There is a special from the Weber board where you can but direct from Nu-Temp for a very good price http://nu-temp.com/tvwb/
Hope this helps,
Mike

This is the one I have, 2 units I used one for the grate and one for the meat. It was very nice when I had my old NB offset and very handy when I got my wsm. I haven't used it in a couple of years now. But it was very useful at the time.

fil

I've had the Maverick ET-73 for about six months and it works great for me. My smoker is about 25-feet from where I monitor it remotely. There is also a large window between the smoker and the indoor receiver.

Some people report problems with the Maverick ET-73 transmitting through solid walls and that it dos not transmit the distance they need.

Some report sensor failures, either due to getting too hot, or mechanical failures where the braided cable goes into the solid metal part of the probe. Some also report that you should keep water away from the same area of the probe.

Another thing that bothers some people is, you have to remove the battery door on the sender unit to access the on/off switch.

Like I said, I'm happy with mine, but I've only had it six months.

Yep... if you consider 4 seconds to be instant. An orange one is in my future, but ask the Kapn... yellow is easy to find in the trash!!!

Back