MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-11-2013, 12:05 PM   #1
HawkeyeQue
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Smoking Wings

I've been scrolling through the boards for a while now and can't find much talk about smoking chicken wings. Anybody have a good recipe for wings they would care to share?

I have a crew of about 30 coming over to watch FB on Sat and want to impress. Thanks
HawkeyeQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-11-2013, 12:09 PM   #2
polishdon
Full Fledged Farker

Use whole wings, not separated drums and flats.

Lightly coat with olive oil, then apply your favorite rub.

I like to use my kettle grill set up for indirect heat, about 325 degrees and with a chunk of smoke wood. Put the wings on the grill, and cook about 40 mins. Flip and rotate the wings and cook another 30 minutes. Coat with your favorite sauce and put back on the grill to set for about 15 mins, best damn wings ever!!!

Old 09-11-2013, 12:14 PM   #3
Jayblefty
On the road to being a farker

I agree that whole wings are where its at! I crank my UDS up to 350 or so, toss the wings in some rub, smoke them for about 40 min, toss them in some sauce ( I use a sweet BBQ with plenty of franks in it ) Then slap them back on the smoker for 10 min or so to heat and glaze just a bit... I save all the wings from my whole birds till I have a good stack then whip up a big batch at a time. I will eat 8-10 by myself!!!

Old 09-11-2013, 12:28 PM   #4
fingerlickin'
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Toss them in this:

http://www.patiodaddiobbq.com/2011/0...ken-sauce.html

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - [I]Tommy Callahan III[/I][/COLOR][/COLOR]
[B][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkGreen][SIZE=3][SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]Backwoods Ext. Party,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkGreen] [COLOR=Black]Vision Kamado,[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=DarkGreen][COLOR=DarkGreen][B][COLOR=Black] 22" WSM[/COLOR][/B],[/COLOR] 22.5 Weber OTS, [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=DarkGreen][B]Mini WSM, [/B][COLOR=Red][B] UDS "No.8"[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Teal] [COLOR=Black][B][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]Napkin Killers BBQ[/COLOR]
[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]
fingerlickin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-11-2013, 12:55 PM   #5
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

well, it;s prolly too late to order stuff but.....

lightly coat with olive oil, then coat with oakridge habenero death dust, plowboys 50/50 mix.

onto cooker @ 275 for @ 2 hours with a bit o hickory...dunk or brush some blues hog smoky mountain and enjoy wing heaven.

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-11-2013, 12:58 PM   #6
cirk
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by polishdon View Post
Use whole wings, not separated drums and flats.

Lightly coat with olive oil, then apply your favorite rub.

I like to use my kettle grill set up for indirect heat, about 325 degrees and with a chunk of smoke wood. Put the wings on the grill, and cook about 40 mins. Flip and rotate the wings and cook another 30 minutes. Coat with your favorite sauce and put back on the grill to set for about 15 mins, best damn wings ever!!!
Tis is what I do except I brine the wings in Italian dressing for 4 to 6 hours

Old 09-11-2013, 01:20 PM   #7
Outnumbered
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeQue View Post
I've been scrolling through the boards for a while now and can't find much talk about smoking chicken wings. Anybody have a good recipe for wings they would care to share?

I have a crew of about 30 coming over to watch FB on Sat and want to impress. Thanks
Go CLONES!

Do you want BBQ flavor or traditional buffalo wings. We really like the Hooters sauce for the traditional BBQ flavor. Roll them in Kick 'n Chicken.

I know this seem a bit blasphemous on here, but I do like to follow the Alton Brown method of steaming them before I put them on the grill. Put the kick'n Chicken on, steam then grill to finish out.

When I die, my goal is to have a visible smoke ring when the coroner cuts me open for the autopsy.
Outnumbered is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-11-2013, 01:46 PM   #8
samfsu
is one Smokin' Farker

I cut the drumettes and flats apart. I think this is better because they will get crisper. I toss in my pork rub (brown sugar, salt, other spices) and let them marinate for about 4 hrs then put on a 300-350 fire for about 1.5-2 hrs.

Old 09-11-2013, 01:48 PM   #9
Arlin_MacRae
somebody shut me the fark up.

I separate the parts as well. Marinate in Frank's Redhot overnight, dust with some rubbed & spiced flour, and smoke for an hour at about 250°, turning once.

Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition, Pit Boss NASCAR Tailgater
Home Brewer, Murderer of Squirrels, Armadillo Inspector
Flaming Pig Head Mod
Certified KCBS Master BBQ Judge
Arlin_MacRae is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-11-2013, 01:58 PM   #10
Pete's Meat
Knows what a fatty is.

I like mine rubbed, smoked at 250ish for 1/1.5 hour, then grill over high heat to crisp them up a little, and then i sprinkle a little more rub on them.
That's how I like to eat them, but if I'm cooking for other people I'll have some sauces and ranch/blue cheese available for them, if I'm feeling nice.
Pete's Meat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-11-2013, 05:00 PM   #11
BASSER
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : ROB

I seperate them, smoke at 325ish for an hour THEN flash fry them in the deep fryer to crisp them up! Toss in whatever sauce you like and ENJOY.

WSM 18.5", Weber Kettle, Thermapen, Maverick ET-732
BASSER is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-11-2013, 05:11 PM   #12
Booking It
Knows what a fatty is.

Adam Perry Lang's wings are beyond amazing. Mister Bob has an excellent pictorial tutorial here: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=101468

The wings are smokey, spicey, and mine have always been incredibly moist. You MUST make the rub. It is perfect. If you are cheering on the Hawkeyes, make these. If you are rooting for the Cyclones, I'm sure there's a Buffalo Wild Wings somewhere... ;)

Old 09-11-2013, 05:14 PM   #13
TheWolfePit
is one Smokin' Farker

Give these a try. I made this recipe up strolling the aisles of the grocery store years ago and it's awesome on wings, chicken and pork.

Orange Marmalade Sriracha Wings

Orange Marmalade Sriracha Sauce
1 - 18oz Orange Marmalade (I used the generic store brand, you can buy gourmet if you choose)
1/3 Cup - Sriracha Sauce
1/3 Cup - Honey
1/3 Cup - Brown Sugar

Directions - Combine all ingredients in a heavy sauce pan and heat over medium heat, bring to a boil, stirring constantly to dissolve the sugar and combine ingredients and remove from heat.

Grilling Directions - Grill wings indirect at 350º for 20-30 or until golden brown. Then dip the wings in the sauce, then place back on the grill and continue to cook 10 minutes and repeat one or two more times. When you're done,you should have a 'candy like' glaze.
TheWolfePit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-11-2013, 06:14 PM   #14
Mason Dixon Bowhunta
is one Smokin' Farker

cut the wing tips off but leave the dummy and wing connected. rub with mayonaise and then your favorite rub. cook on the UDS at 275 degrees until tender. let rest for a few minutes then separate the drummy and the wing. no sauce needed.
[I]Perhaps this is the moment for which you have been created[/I] ~ Esther 4:14
Mason Dixon Bowhunta is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-11-2013, 06:24 PM   #15
deepsouth
somebody shut me the fark up.

i smoke mine indirect at 275 and leave them on until the skin is the same as it would be if fried extra crispy, fat rendered and bite-through. this is a wild card time-wise. i reheat the leftover wings in the oven to keep them crispy.

as far as seasoning goes, i usually just use a couple different rubs i like. these had simply marvelous peppered cow and plowboys fin and feather.