vending trailer question

ON THE FARM

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Howdy guys,
is the trailer you vend from considered a "certified" kitchen?
if not would you be able to tell my why?
it has to pass a health inspection, correct?

Thanks

I have been researching this in Kansas City for some time... So I don't know if it will apply at all to you. Kansas City requires you to have a commissary ie, some certified kitchen that you do your main prep, storage and holding water drop they also require you to sign in and out every time you are there. Good Luck with you venture!

Yes my trailer is a certified kitchen. It was inspected by the health dept and passed all of the requirements of the state of VA.

My trailer is a commercial kitchen as well. I fitted it myself and built it around the local and state regs. I would highly suggest this so you don't have go to the commissary. It was more expensive and time consuming but overall it was well worth it.

Yes, my trailer was a certified rolling kitchen!

trailer006f.jpg

By imn88fan at 2010-03-25

Hard to say, depends on what you start with and what you plan to have in it. I can tell you that based on when I started, had I just ordered it ready to cook in vs doing work myself to get it legal. Then used the time I spent working on the trailer to vend and sell BBQ I would have come out ahead ordering it ready to go.

DSCN0050.jpg
This is my certified kitchen

So you don't need a commissary if you get your mobile kitchen "certified?" I'm not understanding the difference. Here, a mobile kitchen still has to have a commissary, I believe. I didn't know there were two different classifications, or whatever the difference is. I'd really appreciate an explanation! Maybe it's the same here in TN. Thanks!

So you don't need a commissary if you get your mobile kitchen "certified?" I'm not understanding the difference. Here, a mobile kitchen still has to have a commissary, I believe. I didn't know there were two different classifications, or whatever the difference is. I'd really appreciate an explanation! Maybe it's the same here in TN. Thanks!
just call or go online to your state or county health department, they will work with you to be sure it is what they want...you could build it and once you are trying to have approved they will pick you appart...it is a power trip thay are on they want to think they are in control..problem is they are..but if you start out with them on a plan and then you come back to them with what they are looking for it will make your build alot easier, so the only answer is your health dept..

just call or go online to your state or county health department, they will work with you to be sure it is what they want...you could build it and once you are trying to have approved they will pick you appart...it is a power trip thay are on they want to think they are in control..problem is they are..but if you start out with them on a plan and then you come back to them with what they are looking for it will make your build alot easier, so the only answer is your health dept..

Yes, I've spoken to them a couple of times and picked up the reqs. Having read through them, though, I didn't see a distinction between a mobile food trailer and a "certified" mobile kitchen. That's my main question, what is the difference? Maybe there's not one here, but one of the Brethren seems to have found a caveat! I'm waiting on an answer to my PM now. :thumb:

I have a 34 foot commercial kitchen for sale with stove, convection oven, double door freezer and frig. It has been inspected the last three years in Illinois and passed with out a problem.

Rolling kitchen plus a commissary we use for bigger gigs. If you don't have a kitchen, you better get a BIG fridge and freezer.

Back