MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Brethren Sales and Ventures > Brethren Ventures > NCGrimbo's StokeMaster app

Notices

NCGrimbo's StokeMaster app Stoke Master is an iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch application that can be used to manage your BBQ Stoker. This forum is where you can leave comments, ask questions, report bugs, and look over the FAQ for the application.

Old 08-17-2011, 08:14 AM   #1
NCGrimbo
is One Chatty Farker

Question F.a.q.

Q: What is Stoke Master?

A: Stoke Master is an application written by NCGrimbo that allows you to control your BBQ Stoker with your iPad, iPhone, or iPod Touch.
"At what point did we forget that the Space Shuttle was, essentially, a program that strapped human beings to an explosion and tried to stab through the sky with fire and math? How jaded do we have to be to lose collective interest in that?" - Robert Brockway
-----------------------------------------------------------
Weber 26.5"
Yoder YS640

-NCGrimbo

Old 08-17-2011, 08:15 AM   #2
NCGrimbo
is One Chatty Farker

Q: How do I get a copy of Stoke Master?

A: The app is available for purchase at http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/stoke...1616?ls=1&mt=8
"At what point did we forget that the Space Shuttle was, essentially, a program that strapped human beings to an explosion and tried to stab through the sky with fire and math? How jaded do we have to be to lose collective interest in that?" - Robert Brockway
Weber 26.5"
Yoder YS640

-NCGrimbo

Last edited by Ron_L; 08-20-2011 at 05:12 PM..
Old 08-17-2011, 08:18 AM   #3
NCGrimbo
is One Chatty Farker

Q: Are there any screen shots?

A: Of course!

Weber 26.5"
Yoder YS640

-NCGrimbo
Old 08-17-2011, 08:28 AM   #4
NCGrimbo
is One Chatty Farker

Q: Do you have a list of current features?

A: Yes.

Features:
  • Works over WiFi and 3GS.
  • Provides alarms for high temp, low temp, and target temp for every probe plugged into the BBQ Stoker. Each probe can have a different set of temperature alarms.
  • Cutom names can be applied to each probe.
  • Historical records are kept for all smokes. Graphs of this data can be seen at the push of a button.
  • Graphing of the current smoke is available.
  • Execution of the application continues for up to 10 minutes when switched into the background so you can answer the phone or play Angry Birds while running your smoker. A notice will appear before it stops retrieving data to let you know that the time is almost up.
  • Graph colors are customizable.
Weber 26.5"
Yoder YS640

-NCGrimbo
Old 08-17-2011, 08:30 AM   #5
NCGrimbo
is One Chatty Farker

Q: What is the BBQ Stoker?

A: The BBQ Stoker is a networkable device that montiors your pit and food temperatures durring a smoke. This device can provide alarms when defined temperature conditions are met. More information can be found at https://www.rocksbarbque.com/.
Weber 26.5"
Yoder YS640

-NCGrimbo
Old 08-20-2011, 07:49 AM   #6
BMerrill
Full Fledged Farker

Application is available now thru iTunes..

Thanks NCGRIMBO!

I'll post some review comments later...
Old 08-21-2011, 09:32 AM   #7
NCGrimbo
is One Chatty Farker

Q: How do I add a new Stoker to be monitored?

A: Make sure you are on the Stoke Master tab of the tab bar. If you do not see the tab bar, press the back button at the top of the view until it appears. At the top of the Stokers view is a plus button. Pressing that will bring up the Add Stokers view. Here is a picture of that view:

Touching in any of the fields will allow you to change the value. You should enter a value for the name that has meaning to you. The IP address that you enter can be the actual numeric IP address or the DNS Name such as NCGrimbo.Com. You can leave the default values of the HTTP port and the Socket port alone unless you are setting up a remote monitoring from outside of your local network.
Weber 26.5"
Yoder YS640

-NCGrimbo
Old 08-21-2011, 09:48 AM   #8
NCGrimbo
is One Chatty Farker

Q: How do I change how often I am alerted or the alert range for the target temperature?

A: Make sure the tab bar is visible at the bottom of the app. If it is not, press the back button on the top of the view until it appears. Click on the Options tab of the tab bar and the following view will appear:

Touching any of the options shown will allow you to change the option. The time listed on this view is the time between alerts. Using the image above as an example, if the high temp alert fired, you would not get another high temp alert for the probe with the high temp for 5 minutes.

One Note: The alert will fire off if any of the alert temperatures are met on any of the probes even if the Stoker does not sound the alert. This is due to a decision I made during development to always trigger an alert on a probe even if it is not set as an Alarm Sensor when you query the Stoker's web page. If you wish the Stoker to sound the alarm, you must set the probe as a "Fire" or a "Food" alarm type.
Weber 26.5"
Yoder YS640

-NCGrimbo
Old 08-21-2011, 09:50 AM   #9
NCGrimbo
is One Chatty Farker

Q: Can I get a screen capture of the Graph view?

A: Yes. When any Graph View is showing, press the camera button at the top right and a snapshot will be taken and place in your photo gallery.
Weber 26.5"
Yoder YS640

-NCGrimbo
Old 08-22-2011, 10:16 AM   #10
NCGrimbo
is One Chatty Farker

Q: Why won't Stoke Master run in the background for more than 10 minutes?

A: This is how Apple has designed iOS 4. There are only 3 types of apps that can run in the background with no restrictions. From the Apple Developer's Guide:
  • audio. The application plays audible content to the user while in the background. (This includes streaming audio or video content using AirPlay.)
  • location. The application keeps users informed of their location, even while running in the background.
  • voip. The application provides the ability for the user to make phone calls using an Internet connection
All other apps must request time to avoid being suspended. Stoke Master does not conform to any of these three types of apps so when it gets moved into the background, I have to request that my app be allowed to continue to run. I can make this request 1 time when the app is moved to the background and iOS will give me up to 10 minutes of running time. When there is 2 minutes or less of running time, I alert you that the app will be going to sleep unless you bring it to the forground. During the time iOS gives me, your Stoker will continue to be monitored. When you get the alert that time is running out, you can bring Stoke Master to the foreground, let it run for a minute or so and then go back to any other app and Stoke Master will get up to 10 more minutes of run time in the background.
Weber 26.5"
Yoder YS640

-NCGrimbo
Old 08-23-2011, 08:38 AM   #11
NCGrimbo
is One Chatty Farker

Q: I need to send you a message. How do I contact you?

A: There are three ways to contact me.
  1. Leave a message on this forum.
  2. Send me a PM thought the BBQ-Brethren forum.
  3. Email me at [email protected]
Weber 26.5"
Yoder YS640

-NCGrimbo
Old 08-24-2011, 02:45 PM   #12
dmax35
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Great job!
Old 08-25-2011, 04:25 PM   #13
NCGrimbo
is One Chatty Farker

Q: I'd like to use your app at my next BBQ competition. What do I need besides the Stoker and a power supply?

A: You will need a wireless router that also has wired connectors. Make sure you have configured the router at home before you head out to the competition. You'll need to hook it up to a computer and make sure the Stoker and your iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch can connect to the router's network. Once you have all 3 devices talking, all you have to do at the competition is give the router power, plug the Stoker into the router, and then connect to the network with your iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch. Once all this is done you will be ready to go.

One note, if the ip address of the Stoker changes at the competition from what it was when you were home, you will need to register the new ip address as a new Stoker or edit your existing Stoker and replace it's ip address with the new ip address.
Weber 26.5"
Yoder YS640

-NCGrimbo
Old 08-27-2011, 03:53 PM   #14
NCGrimbo
is One Chatty Farker

Q: How do I get the latest firmware version for the Stoker?

A: To get the latest version of the firmware, you can go to http://www.kaytat.com/. The 2.7.0.8 version of the firmware is available there.
Weber 26.5"
Yoder YS640

-NCGrimbo
Old 09-05-2011, 10:35 AM   #15
jgbmgb
is one Smokin' Farker

Excellent idea! Now to come out for this same app. for Android powered phones!!!
Thanks from:--->