MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-13-2012, 09:44 AM   #1
tb80
Take a breath!

Default Mini WSM Question - Loose Vent

I bought a Smokey Joe Silver off Craigslist. Overall it was in great condition, except the bottom vent seemed a little loose. It works just fine, but does not seem to have an air tight seal.

Is it worth replacing or will the loose vent not really affect the air flow that much? Are they hard to replace? Is there a way to tighten it up?
tb80 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-13-2012, 09:46 AM   #2
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

I'd say do a few cooks with it like it is and see how you like it before getting concerned about it.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-13-2012, 09:55 AM   #3
aawa
Babbling Farker

Definitely do a few cooks with it. It will gunk up some and make the fit of the damper tighter.

Old 11-13-2012, 10:10 AM   #4
VoodoChild
is one Smokin' Farker

What They Said !

Youll prob be ok ....It will be easier to adjust if you dont add a handle and even easier if you do add a handle
1- WEBER RANCH KETTLE

Last edited by VoodoChild; 11-13-2012 at 10:12 AM.. Reason: add more info
VoodoChild is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-13-2012, 10:32 AM   #5
tb80
Take a breath!

Thanks guys. I guess I am used to my 22.5 weber silver. I can shut that baby down and the fire goes out and I have leftover charcoal. With the smokey joe it is not air tight enough to do that.

How many lit coals do you add when starting up the mini wsm?

Old 11-13-2012, 10:37 AM   #6
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb80 View Post
Thanks guys. I guess I am used to my 22.5 weber silver. I can shut that baby down and the fire goes out and I have leftover charcoal. With the smokey joe it is not air tight enough to do that.

Depends on how hot you want your fire to be. I use lump because I wasn't getting the temps I wanted with briqs, so I just kinda eyeball it - if I'm doing chix, maybe around 1/2 chimney? Not sure. I have the bottom still on the pot with holes drilled out btw - I may cut it out, still not sure about that. Sometimes I start it with the weedburner, so I don't really know. Frankly, I don't even pay that much attention to temps anymore either, I just put my hand over the exhaust and feel for the heat. You kinda just need to get in there and do it, see what works, what doesn't work, and take it from there.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-13-2012, 12:32 PM   #7
jfletcher84
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb80 View Post

I start maybe a dozen or so briqs that is usually more than enough for me to get my mini up to the temp I want

Old 11-13-2012, 12:37 PM   #8
tb80
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfletcher84 View Post
I start maybe a dozen or so briqs that is usually more than enough for me to get my mini up to the temp I want
Last time I cooked on it I filled the bottom with kingsford blue bag and put 10 lit coals. The temp shot above 400. I have a clay pot diffuser in it. Vents started fully open and then I shut them down. Took awhile before it got down around 300.