MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-14-2012, 11:31 PM   #1
bigkahunaranch
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Sausage Too Salty- remedy ????

So this was my first time making sausage.
I got a nice 11 lb Boston Butt and ran it thru the grinder on a course setting.
I mixed up a recipe for Texas Hot Links , and mixed it in with the ground sausage.
Before stuffing I made a small patty and fried it up.
Initial taste is kinda salty, but has a great kick on the back end.

I do plan to stuff the mixture into casings and make links, then smoke them on saturday.

So is there a way to neutralize some of the saltiness???

I believe my problem lies in the fact that I used 1 tablespoon of Kosher salt and 1 tablespoon of Morton Instant Cure.

Any help would be appreciated !!!
bigkahunaranch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2012, 11:36 PM   #2
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

Add some sugar.

Old 06-14-2012, 11:38 PM   #3
Boshizzle

Use less salt next time. Otherwise, go get another butt and make a double batch adjusting for the salt

Old 06-15-2012, 08:40 AM   #4
thirdeye

▲▲ I agree with either of the fixes above▲▲. Many hot link recipes have beef in them as well as pork, you could add some ground beef to dilute the saltiness.

The good thing is you are not super heavy on saltiness.... And you did mean Tenderquick and not Instacure right? I use Bigwheel's Hot Link Recipe and for a 7 pound batch (pork/beef) it calls for 2T of Tenderquick and 1t kosher salt. It also calls for ice cold beer instead of ice water for your mixing liquid, so maybe that has an effect on the saltiness.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2012, 11:18 AM   #5
Mo-Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

In light of a couple discussions about factory injected meat, I would soak it and rinse to remove some of the saline solution. I am kidding about that but then again it may help to cut it into small chunks, soak and rinse, if it is high in solution. I think as others have said add more meat of some kind.
Dave

Old 06-18-2012, 04:46 PM   #6
bigkahunaranch
Knows what a fatty is.

Thanks to all for the advice.
I ended up splitting up the portion of salty seasoned ground pork into
two containers. I added 1/3 more ground beef to one and added 50 percent more pork to the other container. And added 2 Tblsp of sugar to each container.
The Texas Hot Links came out great, they were the first thing gone.
The beef and pork was fair, alittle dry, but there were some that like it that way.
I am just happy to have salvaged the sausage and learned a whole lot.

Now to try another batch, then move on to some Anduieie and Chorizo.

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-18-2012, 07:14 PM   #7
CrispyRibs
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkahunaranch View Post
So this was my first time making sausage.
As has been suggested, get some more meat and thin out the salt. There is no way to offset over-salting.

Also, since you are grinding your own meat, you can taste it raw (steak Tartare) as you are adding salt and not let it get to the over-salt stage.

Dave
CrispyRibs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2012, 07:22 PM   #8
thirdeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkahunaranch View Post
Thanks to all for the advice.
I ended up splitting up the portion of salty seasoned ground pork into
two containers. I added 1/3 more ground beef to one and added 50 percent more pork to the other container. And added 2 Tblsp of sugar to each container.
The Texas Hot Links came out great, they were the first thing gone.
The beef and pork was fair, alittle dry, but there were some that like it that way.
I am just happy to have salvaged the sausage and learned a whole lot.

Now to try another batch, then move on to some Anduieie and Chorizo.
Do you have a chorizo recipe in mind?

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:40 PM   #9
Bebe
Full Fledged Farker

1% salt, that what i use...
(set your scale to metric, 10g of salt for 1kg of meat)
Morton instant cure IS mostly salt, you should take it into account..
Bebe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-19-2012, 09:36 AM   #10
bigkahunaranch
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post
Do you have a chorizo recipe in mind?

I am thinking about this one:

Chorizo Recipe

Ingredients
  • 1 pounds ground beef
  • 2 pound ground pork
  • 3/4 cup chili powder
  • 2 teaspoons Cumin
  • 1 tablespoon Cilantro leaves
  • 1 teaspoon dried mexican oregano
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • ˝ cup tequila
  • 1/4 cup white vinegar
Most of the Chorizo I have found at the stores here in central Texas range from really, really bad to fair in taste and texture.
There was one family mexican restaraunt that had pretty decent Chorizo, handmade, but sadly they closed up.

Old 11-13-2012, 01:56 PM   #11
MrWizard
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo-Dave View Post
In light of a couple discussions about factory injected meat, I would soak it and rinse to remove some of the saline solution. I am kidding about that but then again it may help to cut it into small chunks, soak and rinse, if it is high in solution. I think as others have said add more meat of some kind.
Dave
I had ground the meat fairly fine because I wanted to make sausage patties out of this batch. I fried a spoonful and it was WAY too salty. I tried different things, a spoonful at a time, but I wasn't happy with any of them. It looked like I might have to toss the batch, but i went on-line looking for suggestions. (That's how I found y'all.)

The idea of soaking the salty meat in water seemed a bit far-fetched at first, but after thinking about it, this is what I did. I dumped the meat into a large pot and covered it with water about an inch above the meat. As it heated up, I kept stirring the pot until all the meat was broken up. Just as the pot reached a simmer, I turned off the heat and let it sit for a couple of minutes. I fished out a spoonful and fried it. The salt had leached out into the water. The broth was salty but the meat was not.

I strained the mixture using a medium sieve, then dumped it into a clean pot. I added water to cover along with some powdered bullion, sage, white pepper, parsley and a LITTLE salt. Then I added some corn mean and boiled the mixture until it got thick. I ladled it into rectangular plastic containers to let it set. Chill it, then dump out the brick, slice and fry until brown on both sides. It actually made a pretty good batch of scrapple. Scrapple is a favorite breakfast meat that comes from the Amish of Eastern Pennsylvania.
MrWizard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Morton, salt, sausage, Texas Hot Link