MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-14-2010, 09:00 AM   #61
smokinit
is One Chatty Farker

I think it's time to form a Brethren business with these things the market is wide open. Who's in

Old 03-14-2010, 09:11 AM   #62
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

Phil is looking for additional revenue streams to help pay for this site. I'd buy one with the Fear the Pig logo stamped on it. Might even pay extra for it.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-14-2010, 09:24 AM   #63
KuyasKitchen
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks a lot! I happen to agree with you.

My next move is to find a way to mount the stuff into something mostly waterproof.

IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller
Equipment: Weber Kettle, Stainless GOSM,
Green Super-Fast Thermapen
Equipment Wish List: Smokehouse, Backyard Brick Pit with Lechon Spit
KuyasKitchen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-14-2010, 10:07 AM   #64
KuyasKitchen
is one Smokin' Farker

Couple quick notes that need to be done soon:
  1. Switch to a plug-in power source. This thing sucked a 9V battery dry in about four hours.
  2. Add more probes. At least one for pit temperature. My LPG tank ran dry and I only found out because I was checking on the dead battery.

Old 03-14-2010, 10:35 AM   #65
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.

Don't forget to make it "JD" proof...
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-14-2010, 11:15 AM   #66
1_T_Scot
is Blowin Smoke!

Cool Project James!!!

Supporting Disabled Veterans. Link Removed. Diveheart .org

Large Big Green Egg - Fathers Day 2009
1_T_Scot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-14-2010, 05:13 PM   #67
fireman_pete
Full Fledged Farker

What kind of range do oyu have with the WiFi?

This is great.

Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuyasKitchen View Post
Thanks! It's really great being able to check the temperature from bed ... just by reading the web page on my cell phone.
fireman_pete is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-14-2010, 06:09 PM   #68
River City Smokehouse
is One Chatty Farker

What is the link to view your temps. I will check on it from time to time for you.
Traeger Texas BBQ 075
UDS "Cool Hand Luke"
3 Weber Kettles and a Yellow Thermapen
KCBS Certified BBQ Judge #8425
River City Smokehouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-14-2010, 06:21 PM   #69
Yakfishingfool
Babbling Farker

What yours does that the stoker and others don;t is act just as a thermometer. I'd pay a couple hundred for a GOOD quality multiprobe thermometer that did nothing more than give temps and allow me to monitor it from my iphone or nettop computer. And the guru is not simple. Depsite the extensive manual, it is not simple. Scott
1 Weber performer, 1 Smokey Joe Platinum
1 XL Big Green Egg
1 FEC 100
Team BBQ-Brethren.com
KCBS Certified Judge #9079
Yakfishingfool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-14-2010, 06:34 PM   #70
fireman_pete
Full Fledged Farker

I absolutely agree. I have been looking for (or to make) a multi-probe thermometer (4-6 probes) that has a wireless receiver for use at BBQ contests.

I care more about pit temp than meat temp for the remote monitoring. If I know the cooker is in range, then I am good.

Something with a 100-200 foot range would be ideal, or use WIFI and monitor that way.

Keep up the great work.

Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakfishingfool View Post
What yours does that the stoker and others don;t is act just as a thermometer. I'd pay a couple hundred for a GOOD quality multiprobe thermometer that did nothing more than give temps and allow me to monitor it from my iphone or nettop computer. And the guru is not simple. Depsite the extensive manual, it is not simple. Scott
fireman_pete is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-14-2010, 11:25 PM   #71
KuyasKitchen
is one Smokin' Farker

Well, my range is very short. Maybe 20 feet. But, that's because our house is made of concrete and re-bar. It really depends on your wifi set. If you go with 802.11N, it could be fairly far. Your numbers will vary depending on what's between your hub and the probe.

Old 03-16-2010, 02:32 PM   #72
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
My next move is to find a way to mount the stuff into something mostly waterproof.
Hot glue is your friend:)

dmp

dmprantz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-16-2010, 02:45 PM   #73
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakfishingfool View Post
What yours does that the stoker and others don;t is act just as a thermometer. I'd pay a couple hundred for a GOOD quality multiprobe thermometer that did nothing more than give temps and allow me to monitor it from my iphone or nettop computer.
I have to disagree with you here. I have never used a Guru, but saying that a Stoker does not act like a thermometer is like saying that a colour TV does not act like a black and white model. Just because the colour TV can show colour, doesn't mean it won't also show b/w.

To use a Stoker as just a thermometer you plug in the power source and each of your probes. Place the proves where you want, configure the Stoker's IP address, configure the bridge if you want wifi, and browse to that url. Bing, bang, bam, you have a web based remote thermometer. You can assign the probes names if you want, but if all you do is plug in your five probes, you get five thermometers...you don't have to use any of the other features. The only "extra" step that you have to do is configure your wifi bridge since the Stoker doesn't have built in wifi. Truth is, I have used my stoker to control both a fan and an auger, but I use it more as a thermometer, without the controller, than any thing else.

Again, I applaud the engineering effort and am not saying there's anything wrong with it, but I still think that the best commercial remote thermometer that money can buy is a Stoker with the wifi bridge. Maybe the WiFi enabled Guru if it can support more than two probes.

dmp

dmprantz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2010, 11:46 AM   #74
Thawley
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmprantz View Post
Your kit is cool, and I'm not trying to take anything away from it, but I'm wondering why people are so interested in it, as it's not new functionality in the BBQ world. Does the $100 price difference really make it that much better? Do people hate The Stoker that much?
One issue I've not read in response to this is design. The Stoker is pure function over form. On paper, it's a winner hands down. Plenty of Heathkit/EE types are cool with that. But it looks like a kludgy, 70s era CB radio. If I'm going to pay MORE for something, I'd better damn well like it. There are good reasons why Apple has over 90% market share for PCs over $1000. One is, form matches function. I don't want to pay a premium for something that looks and feels like I built it myself.

Quote:
Yep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by River City Smokehouse View Post
What is the link to view your temps. I will check on it from time to time for you.
I kinda like this. Taking the thought a bit further, some might enjoy an open site/forum/page where a bunch of people could stream their temps all at once. Not sure what real function it would serve, but it'd be cool. We've got something like that in racing called MyLaps where everyone can see everyone else's lap times and finishing position. Pretty cool for the data-hungry types who look at trends and consistency as much as pole times and finishing position.

Thawley is offline   Reply With Quote