Wireless Probe

AzQer

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I am going to fire up the Modded ECB this weekend for the first time and was wondering which grill level would be best suited for the temp prob top or bottom? Also I have a maverick and wanted to put the probe on the grill was wondering what to use to hold it? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Can't help you on the ECB placement, but I use a small potato to hold my probe in all my smokers. It seems to work pretty well.

After seeing the "smoked" potatoes with pig grease and rub I might just start using a larger one and then eat it.

Out of curiousity, I'd put the Maverick probes on each shelf to see what the temp difference is for the first few hours of the cook, then after getting a feel to see what's going on with the temps, then put the food temp probe in the food that would likely be done first and leaving the chamber temp where it was should give you an idea what's happening on the other rack too ... using a potato or wine cork.

I always stick my probes in a potatoe or onion and set it on the grill.

What you can also do is use several probes at the grate level as well as the lid so you can familiarize yourself with the temperature disparity and then just measure at the lid for future cooks and adjust to grate level temps.

Bbq Guru Makes A Prob Tree, I Use A Potato. I May Have To Try Eating One As Well, They Could Turn Out Good!!!!!!!!

Ditto what the others said about using a potato.

I usually toss it in the neighbor's yard when I'm done. :twisted:
Nobody living there for a while and the backyard looks like a wheat field.

"After seeing the "smoked" potatoes with pig grease and rub I might just start using a larger one and then eat it."
This sounds good I think Ill try it

I have four Maverick's and they all came with a probe holder that fits into the grates. Did you miss it in the box? If so, I would say to go with the potato.

Back