MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-03-2011, 12:00 AM   #8026
jgh1204
Babbling Farker

If you set the # of threads per page to the max, it is only 161.

Old 06-03-2011, 12:10 AM   #8027
TDaddy
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgh1204 View Post
If you set the # of threads per page to the max, it is only 161.

Thanks for the advice!

I wish I knew about that earlier, I would have gotten through this thread a lot faster!
TDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2011, 02:42 AM   #8028
BBQpower
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : POWER

[quote=woodbutcher1;1659545]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQpower View Post
Now I got the 30Gal drum for free and was Clean inside, to small for a UDS, someone suggested I do a mini but I was thinking of just using it as a firebox and putting a 55gal drum horizontally but then it won't be a UDS anymore Time to go find 2 55Gals.

First of all : Your 30 gallon drum is best suited to go with a 18 1/2 " Weber or similar Kettles for lids.

Where as the 22 1/2" is used for the 55 gallon drums.

For the Mini drum, 10 to 16 gallon size using the Weber SJ @ 14" dia. or similar made grills of the same.
Thanks I just figured most of it and look what I found for it!
A LID!! I just remembered picking this up on the side of the road!
It's cool when you find a clean drum one day and a lid another then pull the junk out and they go together!
To MINI UDS or not? I keep wanting to make a separate chamber smoker and wait for a 55gal drum. I may just throw this 22.5" weber on top of the 18" 30gal drum and make a separate chamber smoker.
Sorry to steer it away from a UDS but it may not become that. still no idea, ADD sucks.

Old 06-03-2011, 01:23 PM   #8029
webegrubbin
Found some matches.

Im about to build a UDS and I'm looking at drum options. I can get a used food grade drum with lining for $15 or I can buy a new unused unlined drum for $68? Which should I buy? Is it worth it to buy the new unlined drum to save the trouble of burning out the paint?
webegrubbin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2011, 01:35 PM   #8030
ZouBBQ
On the road to being a farker

Would you pay someone else $53 to burn out the liner? If not, go with the cheap one.
Or use it as a bargaining chip To talk the price down a bit
ZouBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2011, 01:40 PM   #8031
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by webegrubbin View Post
Im about to build a UDS and I'm looking at drum options. I can get a used food grade drum with lining for $15 or I can buy a new unused unlined drum for $68? Which should I buy? Is it worth it to buy the new unlined drum to save the trouble of burning out the paint?
I am a firm believer that removing a liner is a rite of passage when building a UDS...at least once.
[B][COLOR=red]WWWWFBBQADD[/COLOR][/B]
[B]0 out of 1 members found this post helpful[/B] :thumb:

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2011, 02:33 PM   #8032
LoveBBQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel00 View Post
I am a firm believer that removing a liner is a rite of passage when building a UDS...at least once.
No thanks! I'll stick to the unlined anti-freeze barrels my brother has.

Old 06-03-2011, 08:37 PM   #8033
FFPEREZ
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Finally finished reading the thread.....boy that took a while.

Happy I found it and now I know all the information I need to build my own.

THANK YOU EVERYONE for the details, the pics, and all the knowledge you have put into this thread.
FFPEREZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2011, 10:27 PM   #8034
Spicy-Meat
Knows what a fatty is.

Tomorrow I am going to get my nipples welded to the drum then I am going to burn it out. My drum is unlined so I am just going to throw on a few pallets. Once I am done doing the burn do I take it to the car wash and hose out the inside then dry it then apply the Crisco to the inside? What is the normal process after the final burn out? I assume after I Crisco the inside I paint the outside and I am ready for the first season cook. Thanks for your help.
Spicy-Meat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2011, 11:18 PM   #8035
jgh1204
Babbling Farker

I found used unlined barrels in San ANtonio for $20 and they deheaded it for free.

Old 06-04-2011, 12:47 AM   #8036
Burn Baby Burn
Got rid of the matchlight.

Beware! DO NOT wear loose fitting shirt while using wire wheel to clean drum! It's amazing how fast a T-shirt can get wound up on a wire wheel at full rpm!!
Burn Baby Burn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2011, 12:53 AM   #8037
Burn Baby Burn
Got rid of the matchlight.

BTW......Many TY to all who have posted on this thread! Soooo many great tips and ideas to ponder and sort through on my way to Q perfection!
Burn Baby Burn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2011, 01:45 AM   #8038
mickthomas
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Default my uds

Hi all, just thought i'd chuck a couple of pics of my uds....I have both flat lid and a knockoff weber type lid.....constantly improving....this thread is awesome have read 100 odd pages and not even scratched the surface...

cheers

and thanks for all the info

Mick
mickthomas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2011, 09:29 AM   #8039
jalon

Pics look good Mick.

So...I finally finished my UDS yesterday...let me tell you, it embraces the "U" in UDS
Pics coming soon.

Did a test burn last night, took it up to 300 for a while, held it relatively constant (first time ever with anything like this) and kept 300-320 for about 45 minutes. I thought, "Let's see if I can do 225..." Well, didn't quite work out like I planned. My rig has four 1" inlets, one of them comes up the side to a ball valve like many others have on here. In the effort to get it to come down, I think I ended up putting the fire out. I did make a few mistakes in the process, I managed to fluctuate the temps 100+ a couple of times doing things I knew better, but sometimes you just have to experience it to get the feel. I did get a few hours of burn out of it, but I think I read in a few other threads that I need to start with just a couple of inlets, and catch the temp on the way up, not down.

Otherwise...during the burn at 300, there was a nice blue smoke from the one small hickory chunk I put in, and had the neighbors out of their house, sniffing - "What's that I smell...??"

Thanks to all for the help so far!!!

Jalon
jalon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2011, 05:47 PM   #8040
PhilipW
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spicy-Meat View Post
Tomorrow I am going to get my nipples welded to the drum then I am going to burn it out. My drum is unlined so I am just going to throw on a few pallets. Once I am done doing the burn do I take it to the car wash and hose out the inside then dry it then apply the Crisco to the inside? What is the normal process after the final burn out? I assume after I Crisco the inside I paint the outside and I am ready for the first season cook. Thanks for your help.
Crisco to prevent rusting till you season. Then I cooked a couple fatties and some moinks. Felt like an initiation.
PhilipW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker