MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-17-2013, 06:53 AM   #31
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

"comp" style. "comp" style? There's just 1 comp style? <-- rhetorically

That I know of there are at very least 2 completely different definitions of the perfectly tender rib across a few sanctioning bodies, and I by no means know them all. I think the one you're referencing is KCBS, and yes, the KCBS rib should be "bite through". However, other sanctioning bodies define it as "pull cleanly from the bone with only slight resistance". Very different definitions here.

Me, I prefer the rib meat to still be on the bone, but as absolutely tender as possible, and that tends to fit MiM/MBN/GBA's definitions a tad better, where it's still on the bone but as you pull the bones apart the meat comes off cleanly with only a slight tug required.

What I'm asking is please dont lump all sanctioned competitions into the same "bucket". They can and may be extremely different, in more aspects than just the tenderness of the rib too...

It's like asking "what is the one cooker I need to buy to compete with". There is no answer, because the question isn't complete. Different sanctioning bodies have you cooking different meats in VASTLY different quantities. Harry Soo would have a helluva time cooking an MBN whole hog on his 3 Webers...
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 04-17-2013, 06:55 AM   #32
Lake Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC-Q View Post
I cook my ribs to fall off the bone but not be mushy.
I feel (& I don't judge or compete) that even if you have to bite the rib it should still com clean from the bone.

I ordered ribs at a local restaurant and they were mushy.
I took one bite & almost threw up. Disgusting!!!

Then by your definition you would LOVE competition ribs; those done in MiM, MBN, GBA, and probably a few others... Perhaps not the perfect KCBS rib though...

Old 04-17-2013, 07:55 AM   #33
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

Ate your Wheaties today, did you Hance?
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-17-2013, 08:23 AM   #34
JamesD
Found some matches.

I am definitely no authority on this subject as I have only done a handful of competition over the years. But from the way I have thought of it there are two parts to this question. The first on comp ribs being the texture part. Fall off the bone or bite through? I think it's really a matter of preference to the individual how they like theirs. I prefer the bite through with little resistance personally. But family and friends prefer closer to fall off the bone. My opinion is that some of the criteria for comp ribs is because of the texture score. How in the hell do you accurately judge texture without some sort of rules or criteria. So they are kind of set in the narrowest window. Just my opinion with it.

As for the second aspect of not liking comp ribs is the taste. Yet another completely subjective issue. I may prefer sweet and you may prefer spicy. Different strokes for different folks. A lot of times comp ribs are done a little over the top. If I am going to feed friends and family I'm going to have good flavor but not overwhelm. You want them to be able to enjoy them. As for judges, you have only a couple bites to make a real impression and set yourself apart from the other competitions. To me that is the biggest reason a lot of people don't like comp ribs. They are generally too much of whatever flavor to be able to enjoy many of them.

Just my $.02
JamesD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2013, 08:49 AM   #35
Johnny_Crunch
Babbling Farker

I cook mine comp style at home to practice for comps......

Old 04-17-2013, 09:33 AM   #36
Lake Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesD View Post
...My opinion is that some of the criteria for comp ribs is because of the texture score. How in the hell do you accurately judge texture without some sort of rules or criteria. So they are kind of set in the narrowest window. Just my opinion with it.

James, you nailed it. If they dont define it, it's like play a game with no rules; like trying to score a touchdown while playing Monopoly... They define the game; tenderness in this case. Ends up, different sanctioning bodies define their games differently. So, there is no 1 definition of the perfect "competition rib"; there are many definitions. I happen to know of 2, and I'm sure that there must be more (differing definitions).

That doesn't make any one sanctioning body right nor wrong; it's just how they define their game. Competition BBQ is afterall a game. It's meant to judge cooking prowess; cooking to a standard.

It by no means is there to define what is and isn't good BBQ in your opinion.

I just go a little bonkers when someone talks about "competition bbq" when they've only experienced one competition, or one sanctioning body, etc.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:40 AM   #37
deguerre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Dogs View Post

I just go a little bonkers when someone talks about "competition bbq" when they've only experienced one competition, or one sanctioning body, etc.
Yeah. Some folks think CHICKEN is BBQ...

[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2013, 09:44 AM   #38
Bludawg

LSBS judges are issued a plastic fork & knife for judging chicken & ribs

Old 04-17-2013, 10:09 AM   #39
JamesD
Found some matches.

Hance, I'm glad you get what I was saying with it. I never post anything but am on here and read daily. It seemed like an answer was danced around throughout this thread. I agree with you about people discussing comp BBQ when they have not experienced other than one sanctioning body. I myself have only really experienced KCBS. I also have only been involved or around 3 competitions in the past 5 years. So as I said I am no authority what so ever.

But I have completely enjoyed the ones I have done. It took learning the rules and reading hours upon hours of information to actually start to "get it". For the most part you cook for a purpose and to your audience. If its a competition then you have got to know and attempt to at least try to nail the guidelines set for for tenderness. If not your basically a fool and wasting your time and money.

Now back to hiding in the shadows.
JamesD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2013, 06:48 PM   #40
1MoreFord
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny_Crunch View Post
I cook mine comp style at home to practice for comps......
Does that mean you and yours Really like them that way or are you just cookin' for practice and makin' everyone critique your practice?

Falcon MK V gaseous grill w/Grill Grates, OK Joe Longhorn w/ vertical - now gone, Char Griller Akorn, Camp Chef PG24SG, Weber 22" OTG w/SNS components
1MoreFord is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2013, 08:56 PM   #41
mwert
Knows what a fatty is.

KCBS tenderness criteria is based on "the small window" between "not done" and "overcooked". I was taught by one of there long time instructors that there tenderness criteria was set to fall in this small window in order to "challenge" the cook to hit the mark. As far as taste, I have no idea what they're looking for.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:59 PM   #42
Hawg Father of Seoul
is One Chatty Farker

Life is too short to put bad meat in the box. Love it, or don't turn it in.

We are no one, but no sugar, honey, or butter for us
Hawg Father of Seoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2013, 12:14 AM   #43
SmokinFatties
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manana View Post
I did mine like that trigg guy once and they were so freakin sweet I could barely eat them. Like el matt I don't get why they do them in a way they don't even eat them in themselves. 1 question I've always wanted to ask Myron Mixon and those guys on that BBQ contest show...are you judging on how you like them or on how they would be in a contest?
Your right Johnny Trigg stated on a episode of BBQ Pitmasters he likes his ribs with salt and pepper only but cooks them how the judges like cause he wants the win.

Old 04-18-2013, 01:40 AM   #44
bananablack
Full Fledged Farker

falling off the bone equates to babyfood...

Old 04-20-2013, 09:42 AM   #45
Drh7003
Full Fledged Farker

I don't compete in BBQ. I like that small window between not done enough and overcooked. My experience at home is that my family prefers fall off the bone ribs, not me. I like sauce on my ribs, but not too much. I never pre-sauce them even at home. But, I hate overly thick "gloppy" sauce that is too sweet. I prefer a thin glaze that has a sweet and sour profile.