Log Splitter

My neighbor bought an electric splitter.
Found that it was so limited in capacity, that an axe/maul worked as well on the small stuff. Sent it back.
Then, he ordered one of those that uses a hydraulic car jack for power.
That lasted one day and he sent it back--still easier to use a maul for stuff small enough for it to handle.

I just borrow or rent a real splitter once a year. Renting for weekend is about $75 or so and I am done for the year.

If ya get one, use Harbor Freight or someplace with a liberal return policy--just in case :-D

FWIW

TIM

I'm with Tim on this one. A sledge and a wedge, or a maul will do most of the small stuff, and renting a real splitter is the best way to go for the heavy duty stuff. I usually go in with a neighbor or two, and rent a splitter for the weekend, and we do a years worth of stuff.

I started out looking at electric splitters as well. The DR series. Then I started looking around at other answers. Looked at those hydraulic (car jack) type units. All of the advice I got was "buy a maul or a gas powered hydraulic unit," nothing in between will be work worth a darn (aka - go long or go home). I'm known for going long, but this time it just didn't seem right. Got a lot of advice on mauls as well. Landed on a Monster Maul. It's a short handled unit with a solid steel wedge at one end. Feels like it weighs 20 lbs. Used it to split a cord of pecan this fall. I've never split wood - ever. It was a little rough starting out, but once I got the hang of it, it worked well. I think I spent $30 on it. Saved me about $1,500. I have more wood then I'll use before it gets old. Oh, I felt like I was hit by a truck a couple days after using that thing for the better part of a day, but I'd do it again. Can't wait for next fall. Sorry for the ramble . . .

I'm with Rod on this one.. I have a splitting maul i bought in 1985. 8 lb wedge on a long ax handle. A little beat up, but it still works great, and the guys here have used it at the bash can back me up. i bought the electric splitter and exchanged it the same day for the car jack type splitter. that one still sits in my shed. its just painfully slow. Set the log and start pumping. In the amount of time it took to do one, you can 3-4 with a splitting maul. i keep it around for the really big stuff to make them a little more manageable for the maul.... or the real stubborn ones with the big nasty knots.

i gotta say, once you get into a rhythm, splitting wood on a cool afternoon is real peaceful. Ya zone out, have a little yagermeister or Courvoisier to warm the bones and its a nice escape.

Go for the exercise and swing an ax. Unless it's gum.

Another vote gets cast for the splitting maul. Best way ever to work out any built up aggression.

For easier splitting, wait for the logs to freeze solid. They split way easier than they do when they are warm. Try it, or go for the splitter. It also doubles as a SPAM opener.

Parrothead we have not had the kind of freeze since I lived here.

Wait till I tell my wife I have to have a bigger freezer, so I can freeze my logs before I split them:shock: FlaFo, u know8)

I grew up splitting wood with a maul and other than using it on the occasional log for smoking wood, I have no desire to use it again. I would split hickory and oak into quarters, ash into smaller pieces for kindling and any elm we cut was always used as "backsticks". Those you put on when you had a good hot fire going that would go all day or night. Elm does not split well at all with a maul from what I remember.

Now, I have a wood burning fireplace myself so we cut and split wood each year. I will attempt to show my knowledge/ignorance of log splitters. I've never used one of the store bought ones. My buddies and I ended up with one that was home built. This thing is built like a brick chithouse.....a 19 horse Kohler engine running a 2500 psi pump with two 4" D x 36" L Industrial Tie 2500 psi cylinders. I have seen this thing bust logs that were close to 4 feet in diameter (also have the electric winch mod to keep from straining your milk picking up the big stuff).

I do remember talking to the guy that built it one time and discussing the hydraulics and stuff. Yes, pressure is important but he said most of the store bought ones don't have a high volume pump on them. He told me what this pump was rated at as far as gpm but I can't remember. Anyways, you can have a 10,000 psi pump but without the right volume to support it, you'll be all day splitting one log cause it moves so slow. I know ours has a 10 gallon tank on it and it only takes about 5 seconds to bust through a log. So, volume seems to be just as important as pressure.

6# maul is my favorite. 8# a lot of work unless you are a young stud. My brother and I rented a hydraulic gas splitter once and ended up taking it back. It took twice as long to split the wood because you have to bring the wood to the spliltter as well as remove it. With a maul I can hit it where it lies or put a bunch of chunks in a row and do my windmill immitation. If I was in a wheel chair I might consider an electric splitter. Splittin' with a maul it too much fun.

Hoorenga said:
6# maul is my favorite.

Here's my favorite maul. It can split anything.

Attachments

• 225px-DarthxMaul.jpg
    225px-DarthxMaul.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 93
racer_81 said:
Here's my favorite maul. It can split anything.

Trying to figure out how this is a "Q-talk" and "on-topic" post.

Silly me--he is so red he must be at about 145 degrees and just fixin' to "hang" while he tenderizes.
icon_redface.gif
icon_redface.gif

Nevermind
redface.gif

TIM

However, since my favorite maul "split" in Episode 1, I use my next favorite maul.

It's an 8 lb'er. I have a metal wedge (wedge, not wedgie) that I don't use much because it's very, very dull and I'm too lazy to sharpen it.

One day, at NorthernTool, I picked up a plastic wedge out of curiousity. It seems to be that it should shatter when struck by a maul - so I am looking for a strong-back, weak-minded person to test it out.

The only powered splitter I have any input on is one my dad uses on the farm. Seems like it runs off a PTO, so that's probably not a useful comparison here.

Back