• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Here is a true BBQ Master’s question:

B

BigJimsBBQ

How do you keep Low and Slow (225’) Chicken skin from ending up rubbery when turned in to Judges?

Scaping the fat on the underside of the skin and softening the skin in a liquid (sauce/butter etc.) are probably the most often used if not cooking at higher temps or grilling for all or part of the cook.

Do you WANT to cook chicken at 225, or NEED to cook at that temp?

Chicken is lean and cooks best at higher temps.
I cook at 300 plus a few most of the time and it works great.

If you MUST cook that low, you will just need to accept a certain level of chewiness in the skin.
Vinnies advice is about as close as you will get to good skin.

Just a thought.

TIM

I don't think any of the current BBQ "masters" cook chicken at that low a temp but I could be wrong. At 225 the skin will always be rubbery. The magic number is higher.

I don't think any of the current BBQ "masters" cook chicken at that low a temp but I could be wrong. At 225 the skin will always be rubbery. The magic number is higher.

I disagree. My most consistantly scoring category is chicken. I always cook it at 225, and my skin is almost always bite through. Although I did have one occasion this year where it was not, but it still placed.

No pics, didn't happen.
I disagree. My most consistantly scoring category is chicken. I always cook it at 225, and my skin is almost always bite through. Although I did have one occasion this year where it was not, but it still placed.

Keith - Do you want to answer the Master's question of how you obtained non-rubbery skin at a 225' cook?:eusa_clap

I think Ford provided the answer. Why not just pack a kettle or WSM on the Lang?

That it can't be done .... wrong, it can be done. If you don't know, just say so.

BTW Lang 84 Longneck has a grill on it i.e. Longneck.

That it can't be done .... wrong, it can be done. If you don't know, just say so.

BTW Lang 84 Longneck has a grill on it i.e. Longneck.

Thought you were asking for advice.

Now it sounds like your quizzing us. Which is it and if you know, why are you asking?

I know, I can't help but to wonder with all these questions this past week their's other agenda or if those questioning are just having fun.

BTW- great way to piss everyone off!

:eusa_clapbrovo!:eusa_clap

Mike - No offense was intended. I simply thought knowledge transfer with fellow Brethren would be a good thing. This string started with a question that I believe would help fellow Brethern to have multiple means that the low and slow competitor could experiment test and master. I am not the Miron type that believes if I use a muffin pan, no one else can.

May everyone truely have a very Merry Christmas and New Years:icon_clown

Back