Help! Can you identify this wood?

DVBBQ

Got Wood.
Reaction score
IMG_0832.jpg

There are 3 different trees in this picture. If all you brethren would identify them as 1, 2 & 3 from left to right that would be great.

I thought they were all oak, but Im not too sure about the whiter one. The bark is wet, but the wood in the picture is fresh split.

Sorry no leaves! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Just a guess 1.cherry 2. white oak 3. red oak remember just a guess

Some close up pics fo the grain on the split face and the end would heip. You say you thought they were all oak, if they all smell like a whiskey barrel then they probably are.

I will work on getting some pictures of the grain. 1 and 3 smell sweet and 2 smells a bit more sour, or elmers gluey, and is less appealing. Thanks for the quick replies. I was hoping that I may have found some hickory by chance, but Im thinking not. Does Hickory look anything like this? There are so many types...

#3 is northern red oak, from the color and the way it split with the nearly square angle, nice straight grain makes it easy to work with.
#2 reminds me of maple, but the wood appears discolored in a way that I have not seen with maple. Or maybe it's just the way the light from the flash is reflected off the surface of the wood.
#1 could also be northern red oak, it appears to be still green and not as straight grained as #3.
I know with certainty that there is no elm or ash pictured, the barks are wrong.

I agree the bark on #3 does look like white oak but the grain looks like hickoey

I agree with cliffcarter as I have cut and split quite a bit of wood in my years. No 1 is red oak and knarly; 2 appears to be maple --smooth and white after being dried for a while;3 appears red oak with a very smooth and straight grain --not usually found

#3 is a lot lighter in weight too. Not sure if that is because it was half dead when I felled it, or not. I will post more pictures tomorrow. I just want to figure if it is worth smoking with before I go ahead and cut into smoking chunks. Thanks for the input so far guys.

Do you have any small branches from all the trees. If you do find a winter tree key that would help id all the trees.

branches, leaves, etc. will help tremendously. #3 does look like red oak. #2... dont know, amost too smooth for oak. #1 perhaps hickory with the splintering wood, but then again, not... dont know.

Another test would be to take a small sliver and burn it to make some smoke and see if you would want to use it.

1 oak, 2 maple, 3 red oak or scrub oak,

1. looks like maple beginning to spalt
2. looks like fresh maple
3. has the color of red oak but without a close up of the grain it's pretty hard to tell

1 is some of the hardest woods i have ever split.
2 was fairly hard, not easy.
3 was easy as pie, but was very dry because the tree I felled was half dead already.

I will post some better pictures today.

I just tried a smoke test. Pretty sure 1 is oak. Smells like it.
2 smells a bit like oak also. But smells appealing.
3 smelled soapy almost roselike. I dont think Id want to smoke with it.

Back