MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-17-2018, 08:50 PM   #1
Happy Hapgood
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mike
Default Re-Learned A Valueable Lesson

We drove to the STL Bash on June 29th, Attended the Cool Bash on Saturday the 30th. Stayed that Sunday with Family including Grandbaby, Drove back the same 10 hours that Monday. Off July 3rd Tuesday and prepped ribs for a cook on the 4th. I did my usual gig of trimming full spares into STL style that night. Rubbed and in the fridge for the next morning's smoke.

All the trimmings went into the trash bag. When the wife took out the trash it was that Tuesday night. All went well and a Great day but hot. Stayed hot the next several days until trash pickup day on Tuesday the 10th. MAN! That meat had turned in the trash!

I learned along time ago cleaning fish to put the heads and guts in a trash bag then into the freezer and put them in the can the morning of trash pickup. Just forgot this time with pork.

To make a long story longer, once they picked up the trash the smell and some liquid remained that (while not as bad as rotting fish) was Bad.

So after the wife got done disinfecting the trash can it's better now.

Lesson relearned. Freeze the scrapes until the morning of pickup! Helps the Sanitation folks too.
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBBQ 4T Wi-Fi Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q
Ink Bird Sous Vide, HF Flame Thower

My Motto these days is "Low Stress, Low Drag".

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Happy Hapgood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2018, 08:54 PM   #2
Rockinar
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast View Post
We drove to the STL Bash on June 29th, Attended the Cool Bash on Saturday the 30th. Stayed that Sunday with Family including Grandbaby, Drove back the same 10 hours that Monday. Off July 3rd Tuesday and prepped ribs for a cook on the 4th. I did my usual gig of trimming full spares into STL style that night. Rubbed and in the fridge for the next morning's smoke.

All the trimmings went into the trash bag. When the wife took out the trash it was that Tuesday night. All went well and a Great day but hot. Stayed hot the next several days until trash pickup day on Tuesday the 10th. MAN! That meat had turned in the trash!

I learned along time ago cleaning fish to put the heads and guts in a trash bag then into the freezer and put them in the can the morning of trash pickup. Just forgot this time with pork.

To make a long story longer, once they picked up the trash the smell and some liquid remained that (while not as bad as rotting fish) was Bad.

Lesson relearned. Freeze the scrapes until the morning of pickup! Helps the Sanitation folks too.

That's why garbage men get paid the big bucks.
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-17-2018, 08:54 PM   #3
sudsandswine
Quintessential Chatty Farker

The problem I have is that my freezers are all full of meat and I have no place to temporarily store trimmings. Especially when it's like 30+ pounds of it. There's been a couple times that I came out to my trash cans and maggots were spilling out under the lid. Blegh. I felt bad about it.

Old 07-17-2018, 08:55 PM   #4
tom b

been there done that...

Old 07-17-2018, 08:57 PM   #5
BBQ Freak
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : BBQ Mojo

that is why I am glad were I live and into the burn barrel , lol .

[Font="impact"]Luke's Firepits / Grill[/Font]

[Font="impact"]Lone Star Grillz Mini Insulated Cabinet Smoker[/Font]
BBQ Freak is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2018, 09:00 PM   #6
CptKaos
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Larry

I put rib trimmings on the cooker with no seasoning and feed to my security system :)

Larry

Old 07-17-2018, 09:03 PM   #7
BBQ Freak
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : BBQ Mojo

also I learned my lesson with chicken

[Font="impact"]Luke's Firepits / Grill[/Font]

[Font="impact"]Lone Star Grillz Mini Insulated Cabinet Smoker[/Font]
BBQ Freak is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2018, 09:13 PM   #8
pjtexas1

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Years ago i had a talk with my trash guy. He asked that i bag my ashes because it really hurts when it gets in their eyes. I felt like a complete ass. Ever since then i put a lot of thought into how i bag my trash. Nothing goes in the can that isn't in a bag, trimmings get double bagged, nothing leaking, etc. They do a job most people don't want to do. A little respect doesn't hurt. My trash can never really smells bad.

Rant over...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

Sign Up for The 2022 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Here! ([URL="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12NjP4bH3uLyH6-RJnI4gSfDr0nKQ6_4cxdw_GhmrKq0/edit#gid=1935530835"]Link[/URL])
pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2018, 09:17 PM   #9
Titch

Name/Nickname : Titch :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast View Post

Wouldn’t wife Foo have had said wife cleaning earlier to start?
Signed
Official Wife fooer

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-17-2018, 09:19 PM   #10
Stlsportster
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Parental Assigned Label

Oh yeah. Nothing beats the smell of rotting meat in the trash can in the garage after a week in 100 degree heat.

I seal them in ziploc bags before I toss them. Seems to help and doesn’t take up freezer space.
Stlsportster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2018, 09:47 PM   #11
Baychilla
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjtexas1 View Post
Years ago i had a talk with my trash guy. He asked that i bag my ashes because it really hurts when it gets in their eyes. I felt like a complete ass. Ever since then i put a lot of thought into how i bag my trash. Nothing goes in the can that isn't in a bag, trimmings get double bagged, nothing leaking, etc. They do a job most people don't want to do. A little respect doesn't hurt. My trash can never really smells bad.

Rant over...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Because people around here can't be bothered we're going to go through a trial program. Have to sort recyclables differently as some people were putting pizza boxes in the recycle bins (with pizza still in the box) bottles of whatever still with whatever in them etc...
Baychilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2018, 05:31 AM   #12
Nuco59
Babbling Farker

My trash can is not odorless - but does not reek. I freeze or fridge my trimmings or meat containers- after a rinse.

Recently did a good deed- rescued my neighbor's bin from the curb. Was going to set it by their garage. The smell like to have dropped me. I completed the task.

Won't be doing that again.

Old 07-18-2018, 09:10 AM   #13
Smoking Piney

Name/Nickname : John

I bag and freeze trimmings and guts and put them out when the trash can goes to the curb in the morning. If I leave them overnight or longer in the can, the raccoons have a feast and make a mess.

Assassin 24
XL BGE
Weber Kettle with rotisserie and Vortex
Ooni 3 Pizza Oven
AMNPS
Smoking Piney is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2018, 09:27 AM   #14
ronbrad62

Name/Nickname : Ron

If my activities include discarding any food or meat scraps that will be in the trash for longer than a day, I just take the garbage bag with me to work and put it in our dumpster. It makes the wife happy because I know she isn't scrubbing any garbage cans.
ronbrad62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2018, 09:39 AM   #15
jeffjenkins1
Babbling Farker

I dump charcoal ashes in my trashcan whenever I forget...

Jeff
18" Weber OTS
Primo Oval XL
NB American Gourmet offset smoker
UDS
Big Chief Smoker
Turkey Fryer
jeffjenkins1 is offline   Reply With Quote