• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

owner of a bar /restaurant asked me ....

rgrizzle

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
The owner of a restaurant /bar asked me today if I would cook at the rally on the river which is a biker rally here locally. He wants me to come and cook a couple of weeks before to advertise. He is wheeling to buy all meats and supplies what should I do? As far as payment?

Im having the same problem. but i was thinking at least. 400 for the day.

this would be a grreat oppertunity if I can come up with the details.

At least 10 bucks an hour I did one yesterday made around 2000 buck for 11 hours

i was thinking about doing a percentage of the sales. just need a little more info on what others are doing

Percentage of sales is what I would do. It shows you are willing to be a partner. If it is a percentage of the sales of just your que, then you should get the lion's share of that income -- 70 percent is what I'd go for. If you can swing a percentage of overall sales, then 20-30 percent is more realistic, depending on what he expects to rake in on beverage sales, which usually well exceed food sales.

Just my two cents.

CD

I think I will shoot for a 75/25 on overall sales or a 60/40 in my favor for just que.sales. and? The backup plan of $150 a.day! For prep and using my recipes without giving away my sauce and rubs. What do you guys think?

Percentage of sales is what I would do. It shows you are willing to be a partner. If it is a percentage of the sales of just your que, then you should get the lion's share of that income -- 70 percent is what I'd go for. If you can swing a percentage of overall sales, then 20-30 percent is more realistic, depending on what he expects to rake in on beverage sales, which usually well exceed food sales.

Just my two cents.

CD
I'm in this camp but figure in a few other numbers such as the standard what is your time worth VS future business. If you plan on hooking up long term then being more flexible with the numbers is to your advantage if it all ends after the rally then get yours and get out.

I go with a base rate for showing up as this covers my cost and time in case it all falls through then work with percentages of sales. My bottom line is get paid and happy before you start then everything else is joy.

Have your gear set up so you can turn over product quickly and forget about showing your Q skills, let the proof be in the pudding. :biggrin1:

Just took samples down for the? Owner, to try. The head chef and the owner loved them. Now it's time for the wife to make her decision. All the customers loved my sauce.

Is this for the Ironton Rally On The River in mid August? Nice event, did it myself a couple of years back. I have a few questions....

1. are you only smoking the food and having it picked up or delivered?
2. or are you responsible for working the booth?

ok are you providing the cooker? is he going to provide charcoal,wood, cooking utensale, cleamup, laborers, whenever i had to take my smoker out of the yard it was $500 min, also i always charged a flat rate. it it rains thet day or its hot he wont sell and you get nuthing...
he also wants you to cook for 2 weeks prior. of i was to do this i would get 3000 to 4000. i know that sounds high but you are on the line for someone getting sick... unless you have insurance to cover you. i knwo this sounds mean but i have been thought this and i learned the hard way,,,

Is this for the Ironton Rally On The River in mid August? Nice event, did it myself a couple of years back. I have a few questions....

1. are you only smoking the food and having it picked up or delivered?
2. or are you responsible for working the booth?

Yea this is for the ironton rally on the river. I will be smoking at the restaurant. He has staff to help me basically I will be working for him.

I would charge a flat fee so there are no ifs ands or butts. I would not do it for less that 300 dollars. I am a chef and do events all the time. You can make 10 dollars a hour cutting grass.

I'm with FatBoyz on this.... my smoker leaving the house or even being used minimum charge for smoker only 200.00 daily - earlier you mentioned 150.00 seems fair for the smoker. Since you would be working for him.... Knowing Ironton as I do, since I grew up there - well Coal Grove, I would say that he's not wanting to pay a lot but I'm thinking 20.00 to 25.00 a hour is very fair.

I'm guessing Frogtown or Bommers?

I'm with FatBoyz on this.... my smoker leaving the house or even being used minimum charge for smoker only 200.00 daily - earlier you mentioned 150.00 seems fair for the smoker. Since you would be working for him.... Knowing Ironton as I do, since I grew up there - well Coal Grove, I would say that he's not wanting to pay a lot but I'm thinking 20.00 to 25.00 a hour is very fair.

I'm guessing Frogtown or Bommers?

The fuzzy duck. Down by the boat ramp. They mentioned maybe doing a percentage.

I think I will shoot for a 75/25 on overall sales or a 60/40 in my favor for just que.sales. and? The backup plan of $150 a.day! For prep and using my recipes without giving away my sauce and rubs. What do you guys think?

If you did it by the day at $150.00 I think you are selling yourself short.

Your skill, your talent, your recipes all have an inherent value along with your time. You have had years of practice which also account for something as well.

You will also have to see where the percentage comes in. If it is sold all at one place fine, if they are selling from the bar and the booth it will be hard to see what your actual total for percentage may be.

I do accounting for 6 restaurants. Those restaurants try to keep their payroll expense around 20% of gross sales. I think that's a good number to shoot for.

going to talk with the owner again later in the week hopefully we can work something out.

Back