BBQ Brethren "On a Budget" Throwdown!

Well, let's see it. We're not going to vote on that pic anyway. A few of us noobs are scratching our heads wondering how you turned that corn casserole into a tri-tip. I'd love that recipe.

LOL. Not much to look at. I was too lazy to put in my cast iron grid and baking the bread ate up a bunch of my lump so it ended up being a longer distance sear that I would have liked. Not my best reverse sear but at your request:

IMG_2629.jpg

As for the corn casserole recipe, it is a Paula Deen recipe:

1 (15 1/4-ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained - I used some local corn from a cobb instead
1 (14 3/4-ounce) can cream-style corn
1 (8-ounce) package corn muffin mix (recommended Jiffy)
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
Shredded Medium Cheddar Cheese
1 tri tip - pureed

Directions

In a large bowl, stir together the two cans of corn, corn muffin mix, sour cream, and butter. Pour into a greased casserole.

When no one is looking, inject liquid tri tip into casserole and bake at 350 degrees for 40 to 45 minutes, or until golden brown. Top with generous amount of cheddar cheese and return to oven for another 5 minutes until cheese is melted. Tri tip will reconstitute into perfect slices. :razz::loco:

It was tasty but we might cut back a little on the butter and increase the amount of tri-tip next time. :heh:

Please accept my TD entry.

I decided to make this in a jiffy today, total cook time about 3 hours. Some short ribs, homemade fennel sausage and steamed veggies. Did them on the medium egg, minus the veggies which were steamed. About $13 total.

IMG_9975.jpg

Rubbed with garlic powder, montreal seasoning and some thyme. (staying away from sugar based rubs at the moment)

IMG_9983.jpg

IMG_9989.jpg

IMG_9993.jpg

IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0030.jpg

Please use this last picture.

Oh yeah this is my official entry, thanks!

2 catfish fillets: 6.62 dollars
2 corn on the cobs: .50 cents
Total: $7.12

I bought 2 catfish fillets from the store. I had some little aluminum pans in the cabinets. So I put one in each pan, rubbed them down with olive oil and a lemon and herb rub, then I put a little bit of Tallgrass's Halcyon wheat. Then I let them marinate a little while the smoker came up to temp and everything. While I was getting the smoker ready my wife rubbed some corn down with butter and S&P and then wrapped the husks back over them to cook with the fish.

2012-08-18_16-52-09_479.jpg

2012-08-18_16-52-17_924.jpg

2012-08-18_17-09-32_249.jpg

when the smoker got up to about 200 I threw the fish and corn on with some apple wood chunks. I didnt get any mid cook pictures because I got busy drinking beer and talking with neighbors...:mod:.

I took them off after about 2.5-3 hours when it started to flake. After removing the husks from the corn I plated it all up (which I actually got pictures of this time!).

The fish must of been the best food I have smoked so far. I think I will be doing this cook again very soon! Thanks to Kickassbbq for the great recipe I found on this site!!!

2012-08-18_20-02-19_405.jpg

Please use that picture above for the entry!

Last edited:
Please accept this as my "Official" entry to the "On A Budget TD

Bacon Wrapped Venison Fatty

Here is the break down on the cost. My receipt shows $18.27 , however I did not use everything pictured or on the receipt. I did not use the Hot Cereal or Lucinda's Basil Leaves and I purchased two Green peppers but only used one. Total deductions 18.27 - 5.29 = 12.98. Now add in the venison cost. A buddy of mine drove his truck, used his gas, his gun, and his rounds. Harvested a buck and we agreed to split the processing fees. We paid 75.00 for 60 - 1.lb packages of ground meat and sausage. Comes to 1.25 / .lb. and I used only 2/3 of each package for this meal. Comes to $ .84/package a total of $1.68. Now 12.98 +1.68=14.66. Pics to follow later, once I download them. :grin:

View attachment 69609
The Ingredients - remember I did not use the Oat meal,the Basil and used only 1 Bell pepper.
View attachment 69610
The Receipt
View attachment 69611
The Bacon weaved very nicely, used apple smoked thick cut bacon.
View attachment 69612
Layer 1 - Put the Venison Ground meat on top of the Weaved bacon and placed onions and bell peppers and Cheese on top of venison.
View attachment 69613
Layer 2 - Then layered the Venison Sausage, put onions and bell peppers and cheese on top of that
View attachment 69614
Rolled carefully with the help of tin foils and here is the Fatty Log
View attachment 69615
Ah!! The sides, teriyaki soaked green beans, wrapped with the remaining bacon and rolled in Brown sugar.
View attachment 69626
The Machines!!!
View attachment 69627
Red Potatoes soaked in Salt, Garlic, and Onion Powder.
View attachment 69628
Ah!! The sides, again on the grill.
View attachment 69629
The Perfect temp for low and slow, cooked the Fatty for about 2 1/2 hours.
View attachment 69630
Now resting for 45 minutes.
View attachment 69631
The Slices, now that looks pretty good.
View attachment 69632
And now Mr. Bigamus Bytamus the finale and please use this last pic as my money shot pic. Enjoy!!!:razz:

Last edited by a moderator:
Please accept this as my Official entry in the under $15.00 TD

Pork loin ($1.79 a lb.) 4lbs = $7.16
Bacon I bag = $2.49
Rosemary From the garden = $0.00
Grapes small hand full = $0.40
Apples two = $0.35
Celery two stalks = $0.26
Cheese 2 slices = $0.15
Almonds ¾ cup = $0.30
Rice = $1.00
Corn (4 @ $0.33) = $1.32
Beer - Left in the garage frig from a party in July = $0.00
Salt, pepper, mustard, syrup, butter, beef/chicken
bouillon, potatoes, charcoal, apple wood (2chunks),
red wine vinegar, olive oil, onion, garlic, orange juice. = $1.47
===========
$14.90

Bacon weaved pork loin, beer soaked roasted corn on the cob, butter baked scalloped potatoes and almond & apple wild rice salad
IMG_1058.jpg

Made a mustard sauce and soaked the loin before applying the beacon weave and rosemary
100_0288.jpg

IMG_1029.jpg

Ingredients for the salad
100_0292.jpg

Cooked rice then cool. Toss apples w/ 2Tbsp. Orange juice. In another bowl whisk the remaining O.J. oil, vinegar, honey, salt and pepper. Add apples & celery to the rice. Drizzle with dressing. Chill till your ready to serve and sprinkle almonds and Enjoy.
IMG_1053.jpg

Soked the corn in "Aged" lager. Free beer works best!!! Soak for 24hrs for best results on top of a layer of ice.
IMG_1014.jpg

Cut potatoes, place in cooking pan. Melt 3 to 4 sticks of butter. Add chopped garlic (2 small cloves). Half of a med. sized white onion, chopped. Stir in 2 chicken and 2 beef bouillon powders. Pour over potatoes. (Baked on the 18" weber for aprox. 35min @ 400 deg F.)
IMG_1021.jpg

Stir them once at the half way point.
IMG_1028.jpg

Cooked loin @ 400 deg. F for approx. 45 min. (The loin Ideal is 160 deg. F. internal temp) I used two small blocks of apple wood for flavor.
IMG_1031.jpg

Yes it tastes as farkin good as looks...
IMG_1043.jpg

Thanks for the look. Enjoy!

These are some fine looking entries.

BigBlock -- ham shanks look like a crusty crunchy heaven and with grilled pineapple! Mmmmmm. I like the fun of showing it "under $15", nice touch.

Al -- your beef ribs look spectacular, your photos are so good I swear I can taste them -- you're killing me with that beautiful bread -- and I have to say you make colourful, lovely looking salads every time!

Oldyote -- I agree, those wings rock, your photo holding the wing is so good I can taste it, too -- I've never brined wings, is that for flavour, texture or both?

CD -- still a beautiful meal, can I have seconds?

Shiz-nit -- that is a fine looking smoke ring on those pork ribs, they look gooey delicious

toadhunter911 -- wow, two day's meals for the price of one, good work -- love the ciabatta with the bubbly browned provolone -- nice crust and smoke ring on the eye -- I love brussel sprouts so I'm imagining them in!

Cack -- you're a funny guy -- never had Spam but you made it look good enough to try after all, good job!

21234rick -- what a great idea, a date night meal under $15 and you really brought it -- beautiful presentation of the ceviche -- lovely looking meal and the steak looks good even though.....

R2egg2Q -- that baked bread looks awesome, OMG -- the corn bake, magical tri-tip and dessert look delicious, thanks for the corn casserole recipe!

Smoothsmoke -- that is some jiffy meal, wow! -- bee-yoo-tee-full beef ribs, you and Al are giving me ideas -- really nice plate and the homemade fennel sausage sounds/looks divine

Cuebacca -- I don't eat fish but I can appreciate you trying something new and discovering it is the best food you've smoked so far because you've shown us some doozeys -- congratulations on that

PYGBOYZ -- great idea, a baconwrapped venison atty, wish I had scratch and taste on my computer screen -- LOVE the teriyaki green beans wrapped in bacon, gonna have to try that, potato kebabs look great, too

Flash_333 -- just beautiful -- like the idea of a bacon-wrapped pork loin to help keep it moist -- the butter baked scalloped potatoes look awesome! love the salad ingredients

Official entry and such

Luzziann (my Wife who has been in Paradise now on 36 years) came back from the store with 3 ribeyes about an inch thick. She is a coupon Queen and has a Kroger card:

10zz4gw.jpg

Now this ain't prime rib but I figured it was time to put into practice what I've learned about turning average cuts into Great "Tasting" cuts. For what it's worth, here it is:

2ppa8t5.jpg

As you can see, one "decent" one on the right. A semi-decent one on the left and a WTF! in the center. Used kosher salt and some of Brethren's BBQ Buttz's COW POW rub.

Rock and Roll at about 500*F :

6t0os1.jpg

Just off and resting:

kbem2b.jpg

Been soaking corn in the sink ($2.00 for 8 ears). It's ON:

v41o48.jpg

LuzziAnn went to baking a cake while this was going on:

1zzlx04.jpg

And no meal would be complete without Toast (it's my specialty) :

devjtv.jpg

Plated. Please use this one for the TD. :

2zgf9df.jpg

Total cost per plate was approx: $ 7.00.

Thanks for Lookin'!

So $7 per plate x meal for 4 = $28...at that budget Australians CoULD play!:confused:

I understand Brother. If this entry does not qualify, no problem. :razz: Full dis closer here. :thumb: Just two of us here plus my Faithful Pup. We eat leftovers round here.

Please Accept this as

my entry in the BBQ Brethren "On a Budget" Throwdown.

When I saw this throwdown come up, I immediately thought of one of my favorite dishes from a trip to Indonesia years ago. Gado-Gado and Chicken Satay. Gado-Gado is a dish consisting of boiled (blanched" vegetables served with a peanut sauce dressing. We were staying in a company house at the time, and each morning, people would push their carts through the streets of the neighborhood selling fruits and vegetables. There was one guy who sold satay. Like this (not my photo).

P5170089.JPG

He kept his raw skewered chicken in that compartment at the rear of the cart and cooked orders on demand. I was wary of the safety of the raw chicken, but the stack of skewered chicken was huge (and had to be relatively fresh), so we went ahead and ordered. We just brought it inside the the house and cooked a bit longer just to be safe. I had eaten quite a bit of street food on my trips to Indonesia and the single time in my life that I suffered from food poisoning was what I had to assume was bad cole slaw from a Tony Roma's in Jakarta that I visited on my birthday when I was craving ribs.:shock:

Well, I've made this numerous times since then and thought it would be a good choice for this TD. One thing that concerned me was the peanut dressing. Peanuts and the other required items are not cheap. I always brought back a bunch of peanut sauce blocks that you would mix with hot water, stir and serve. For a few years after my trips stopped, colleagues would always return back to the States with blocks in tow for distribution. In recent history, when I needed peanut sauce, I purchased the commercial jars from the asian groceries. I haven't found one that stocks blocks yet.

With that intro, I'll start my adventure. My plan was to get the majority of ingredients for my dish first and figure how to tackle the peanut sauce issue when I knew how much budget I had left. I was ball parking about $4 or $5 for chicken. My first stop would be H-Mart, my goto place for Asian ingredients and produce. My chicken would be purchased at Shoppers Food.

Purchases at H-Mart that were not used in this dish were carrots, tomatoes, and radishes. I did not use 2 limes, 1 pepper, 1 cucumber, and 1 potato. I only used one pack of the chicken. I used the larger package for this cook. I ended up not using the cilantro, as one of my guests does not care for it.

I had a number of items on hand which I'll describe in the relevent photo below. I needed 4 eggs for the Gado-Gado, which I included in my total ($0.138 *4) $0.55. I finally found bulk bean sprouts @ Harris Teeter, about 1/2lb @$.099, $0.62. I ended up keeping a third of the string beans after portioning out for blanching and did not deduct from my total (figure $0.45).

So my total calculated costs are:

H-Mart (11.29-4.67)6.62+ Shoppers (11.43-4.41)7.02 + Bean sprouts .62 + eggs .55 = $14.81.

IMG_9743.JPG

My haul

IMG_9703.JPG

The items below excluding the limes and potatoes are what I had on hand. The cottage cheese container contains chili powder which was a gift from a New Mexico friend who gets it regularly from home. I apparently did not present my jar of coriander seeds, but that and the fish sauce are fully depreciated. The fish sauce is maybe two years old and has some sediment. I smelled it, tasted it, and filtered it through a coffee filter(which is also fully depreciated as I have a metal filter in my coffee maker). I'm not going to tell you how old the coriander is, but I did crush, smell, and taste. I'll have to get more fish sauce soon. Coriander will wait till I need it.

IMG_9705.JPG

The ingredients for my chicken marinade. Coriander, lemon grass, scallions, garlic, cooking oil, chili powder, tumeric, soy sauce, fish sauce. I only used one of the bunches of scallions for this cook. I saved a majority of the bulbs for the peanut sauce and used more of the stems from this bunch for the marinade.

IMG_9709.JPG

My chicken. I thought I did a picture after I removed the skin, deboned, and cut into strips, but never happened. Sometimes, boneless and skinless chicken is worth the premium. I put the chicken in a gallon zip-lock and marinated for about 6 hours.

IMG_9710.JPG

The start of my peanut sauce. Roasted peanuts, sugar, coconut milk, salt, oil, coriander, lemon grass, the remainder of the scallions, garlic, peppers (I was in a smaller store that had the tiny Thai peppers, but H-Mart only had Korean reds), soy sauce, oil, and chili powder. Okay, the peanuts. H-Mart sells shelled and deskinned peanuts which are perfect for this recipe, but they cost close to $3.00. The stores had roasted peanuts in the shell, but they were priced at $1.99/lb. A commercial sauce even after deducting items not needed would cost more than the peanuts. Even a package of mix would cost as much as it required coconut milk which I paid $0.99 for. Anything peanut was going to put me over budget. My solution:

I'm having dinner at Five Guys on Saturday night. I normally walk out with one of those paperboard containers with the leftover peanuts that I had been munching on waiting on my burger. I've been going there for years and know the manager. I told him about the TD and asked if I could take a few extra. 2 brimming containers just about fit the bill.:clap:

IMG_9714.JPG

Starting my sauce

IMG_9718.JPG

I had been timing everything and completely forgot about the requirement of blanching the vegetables for my Gado-Gado. It required hard boiling eggs (4) and potatoes to just beyond the point of firmness, then blanching the green beans and cabbage. Got that started and added more coals to the fire.

Chicken skewers on the grill. I think about 15 minutes total time.

IMG_9723.JPG

Finished product, ready to be served. The salad contains chopped cabbage, string beans, cucumbers, bean sprouts, and shrimp crackers, with a drizzle of the peanut sauce. The small bowl on the left is a thinned version of the peanut sauce to add to the salad. The bowl on the right is my peanut sauce.

IMG_9739.JPG

Please use this as my entry.

IMG_9729.JPG

Back