BBQ Brethren "On a Budget" Throwdown!

Here's my entry.

Picked-up a small eye of round roast from my butcher. Cost $7.25. Indirect cook on the OTP with some grape wood chunks. Pulled at 125* and rested.

Served it hot with some pan roasted brussel sprouts and bacon. Wrapped up the leftovers and tonight sliced as thin as I could, and served it on a bakery fresh chibatta with prov, hot cherry peppers, and mustard. Had a handful of Detroit's finest, Better Made wavy chips with the sammie...

Here's the money shot.

About $14.75 spent on the two days meals...

Good looking rump, and maximizing the cost.

This is my official entry into the ON A BUDGET TD

As most of you know I'm very recently engaged AND just bought a new Lang smoker ... therefore, I'M ON A BUDGET.

I used some 3 Beer Rub that I had left ... .25
Chinet plate ... .34
and the only meat I can afford right now ... Spam ... $2.50 (on sale)

Spam grilled skewers

P1000915.jpg

P1000916.jpg

P1000917.jpg

Money Shot
P1000918.jpg

$2.50 for twelve ounces of meat is "on a budget"? That's $3.33/lb ON SALE!!! You can get bacon on sale for cheaper than that!

I hope your wife to be will be running the groceries...for your own sake.

:becky:

$2.50 for twelve ounces of meat is "on a budget"? That's $3.33/lb ON SALE!!! You can get bacon on sale for cheaper than that!

I hope your wife to be will be running the groceries...for your own sake.

:becky:

Hahaha ... We do have standards although on a budget (first and only time buying spam )

OFFICIAL ENTRY

Ok, for the “on a budget throwdown” I have prepared a three course date-night meal for my wife and I. (Our 7 month old daughter is not allowed to eat daddy’s cooking yet.)

First, the costs: I purchased everything I used at two different stores.
(Receipt 1-$ 4.85) + (Receipt 2-$ 9.45) = $ 14.30
Then while driving home, I saw a truck on the side of the road selling Live Crabs $10/dz! (I love living in Maryland). So I bought 2 dozen but only used one crab in this meal. So that adds $0.84. So you can see on the receipt that I deducted one ear of corn, I only used two instead of the three that I bought.
So the new total is $14.30 – $0.33 = $ 13.97 + $0.84 (the cost of one crab) = $14.81

IMG_0107.jpg

I was able to create 3 courses because of 2 lucky finds at the store.
1. I found two slices of key lime pie and the cost was under $3.
2. I found bacon wrapped “center cut beef steaks”. I have no idea what they are, but at $5.99, I am sure that they are not filet mignon! So from here on I will refer to them as “Faux Mignon”.
IMG_0113.jpg

On to the meal – the first course is a “Grilled Prawn & Crab Ceviche”. (shrimp, crab, apple, parsley, onion, lime juice, and salt.) not really a ceviche because I grilled the seafood, but close enough.

On the grill
IMG_0109.jpg

Final product
IMG_0115.jpg

The dessert was just a store bought pie slice which I added a lime slice to
IMG_0120.jpg

I forgot to take a picture while I grilled the main course, or of the main course by itself :doh:
The main course is Faux Mignon, grilled corn and snow peas sautéed with EVOO and a little onion.

The Money Shot
IMG_0121.jpg

All of this for under $15!

On a side note: The Faux Mignon sucked. I have no idea what it was a center cut of, but it had no flavor and a rubbery texture.

No way we can get anything like this on a budget downunder.
Beautiful entries, well done so far!
I originally wanted to enter with my chicken and rice cook, how expensive can that ne, chicken and rice?
Here, the chicken alone took me over the limit!!:shocked:

Niiiiiicccceee

OFFICIAL ENTRY

Ok, for the “on a budget throwdown” I have prepared a three course date-night meal for my wife and I. (Our 7 month old daughter is not allowed to eat daddy’s cooking yet.)

The Money Shot
IMG_0121.jpg

All of this for under $15!

On a side note: The Faux Mignon sucked. I have no idea what it was a center cut of, but it had no flavor and a rubbery texture.

Sorry the meat sucked that looks pretty awesome.:clap:

I'm in. The bulk of my menu was purchased for a little over 9 bucks at a local ethnic supermarket. I'll be purchasing my protein in the a.m. @ $0.99/lb. I've got a couple more items needing purchase that should not be more than a couple dollars.

I'm going to have to be resourceful with my remaining budget. I was hoping to include a desert, but that's impossible. I may not use all of the items I purchased. Some things I already have on hand and will allocate. I have to admit that a bit of larceny may be involved. I've done it before, but on a much smaller scale. Coming in at $15 will be close, but I think i can do it. Stay tuned.

I believe that it was decided that if you break the law, and get caught, that posting your mug shot is an automatic winning entry.

As I staed earlier, small scale. No mug shot. Worst case, a ban from the restaurant or a little floor spice on my next burger.

Please accept this as my "Official" entry to the "On A Budget TD

Bacon Wrapped Venison Fatty

Here is the break down on the cost. My receipt shows $18.27 , however I did not use everything pictured or on the receipt. I did not use the Hot Cereal or Lucinda's Basi and I pruchased two Green peppers but only used one. Total deductions 18.27 - 5.29 = 12.98. Now add in the venison cost. A buddy of mine drove his truck, his gas, his gun, his and his rounds. Harvested a buck and we agreed to split the processing fees. We paid 75.00 for 60 - 1.lb packages of ground meat and sausage. Comes to 1.25 / .lb. and I used only 2/3 of each package for this meal. Comes to $ .84/package a total of $1.68. No 12.98 +1.68=14.66. Pics to follow later, once I download them. :grin:

Official Throwdown Entry

Please accept this as my official entry into the "On a Budget" Throwdown.

Tri Tip, Bread, Corn Casserole, and Peaches cooked on a Large and Small BGE.

Full cook thread: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=141877

Cost details
Tri-Tip: $9.21
Corn on the cobb (1 1/2 ears): $0.38
Corn cream style in can: $1.16
Cheddar Cheese shredded (for limited amount used): $0.50
Jiffy corn muffin mix: $0.75
sub-total for items above (things I can quantify): $12.00

Items I don't have costs for:
sour cream (1 cup)
butter (1 stick)
bread flour (15 oz)
rapid rise yeast (1/2 tsp)
table salt (1 1/2 tsp)
beer (3 oz - the rest consumed as a beverage which I believe doesn't count :grin:)
white vinegar (1 TBS)
whipped cream (1 cup)
powdered sugar (1/4 cup)
vanilla extract (1 tsp)
white peaches (qty 3)
white balsamic vinegar (drizzle for 3 peaches)
rub for tri tip (however many shakes it takes to season a tri tip)
guestimate for this stuff: less than $3 but let's just say $2.99 :noidea: for a total cost of $14.99 to feed 3 adults and still have food left over.

A few of the pics from the cook:

IMG_2621.jpg

IMG_2638.jpg

IMG_2631.jpg

and Mr. Bigabyte, please use this for the TD vote:
IMG_2665.jpg

Hey John, where did that tri-tip materialize from?
Did you pull it out of the corn casserole? :confused:

Hey John, where did that tri-tip materialize from?
Did you pull it out of the corn casserole? :confused:

Now that would be something special! However, with all of the things cooking on the two Eggs, I only managed to get a single lousy pic of the tri tip cooking and it wasn't even close to making the final cut for the post. :doh:

Now that would be something special! However, with all of the things cooking on the two Eggs, I only managed to get a single lousy pic of the tri tip cooking and it wasn't even close to making the final cut for the post. :doh:

Well, let's see it. We're not going to vote on that pic anyway. A few of us noobs are scratching our heads wondering how you turned that corn casserole into a tri-tip. I'd love that recipe.

I don't know whether or not the corn casserole produced that tri tip, but I do know that corn casserole looks magical.:hungry:

Back