MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-14-2007, 05:04 PM   #1
Bigmista
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Embarrasing!

I had an idea about making some Jerk chicken drummettes last night for a potluck today. Mixed up my own Jerk Marinade for about 5 lbs of drummettes. I put FIVE habaneros in the food processor for the marinade and let them sit for a coupla hours.

Put them in the smoker for about 45 minutes at about 300 degrees. The sugar in the marinade camalized nicely and the looked good. Tried one.

Bland.

Had MrsMista try one.

Bland. No heat.

I thought our lips would be on fire.

Nothing.

I was gonna throw them away and buy a veggie platter. MrsMista said just put some sauce on them and they will be fine.

*grumble*

I was really embarrassed by these but what did I have to lose? I put the in a glass dish poured some sauce over them and stuck them back in the smoker for a while. They came out almost black.

AAAARRRGGHH!

MrsMista tasted one and said it tasted a little burnt but it was better than before. She said to take them. I warmed them up when I got to work. Now they really look sticky. I gave one to one of the guys and told him to tell me if they were really awful and if they were, I would take them off of the table and go get something else.

He bit it. He said it was good. He took another bite. He said it was really good. I told him he didn't have to spare my feelings. He told some other people. They said if this is bad I can't even imagine what good tastes like.

Now the dish is empty, folx are happy and one guy wants me to cater a birthday party. Go figure.

Maybe I'll mess up a brisket and bring it in next week...

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2007, 07:12 PM   #2
Blutch
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmista

Heehehehe. This cracked me up.

Five Habeneros??? bland? Holy Chit Robin, that shoulda taken your head off. You sure they were Habs?

B
Blutch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2007, 07:14 PM   #3
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blutch
Heehehehe. This cracked me up.

Five Habeneros??? bland? Holy Chit Robin, that shoulda taken your head off. You sure they were Habs?

B
Maybe they were habs, the montreal canadiens have been to known to be bland
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2007, 07:35 PM   #4
icemn62
Babbling Farker

Once again the Brethren taste buds are a bit more "difficult" to please than the average. I keep saying "the worst you do with your smoker is better than they can go out and buy"

I AM LOVING THE SMOKE

WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
icemn62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2007, 07:49 PM   #5
Q_Egg
is One Chatty Farker

Funny ... interesting .. and hard to believe. I love all Mexican food, and usually prefer it pretty hot! Went into a local place, they had some Hab salsa on the table, put some on my food, almost couldn't breathe. 30 minutes later I was still drinking water and wiping my lips to stop the flame. Now, when I see habs anywhere, I just move in the opposite direction.

Glad to hear all worked out so well!
GMG_Daniel Boone _ pellets only
Big Green Egg _ Large _ need high heat
Broilmaster D3 'natural' gasser
[I]CB Bandera .. hooked me
Traeger Texas 075 spoiled me[/I][/FONT]
Q_Egg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2007, 08:48 PM   #6
Arlin_MacRae

That's funny, Mista!! That won't be the last time you pull out of a nose dive and end up stepping in the roses, I bet! It is hard to believe that five habs produced no heat, though. Maybe the winter crop isn't as potent??

Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition, Pit Boss NASCAR Tailgater
Home Brewer, Murderer of Squirrels, Armadillo Inspector
Flaming Pig Head Mod
Certified KCBS Master BBQ Judge
Arlin_MacRae is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2007, 09:04 PM   #7
SmokeInDaEye
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Just the smell from blending five habs shoulda been blom crazy.

Now the trick is to replicate the recipe...
Gen II Komodo Kamado, Pit Barrel Cooker, 3x 18.5" WSMs, 22.5" WSM, modified 18.5" Weber Kettle, 22.5" Weber Kettle circa 1960ish, Weber One Touch Platinum, copper Weber Smokey Joe, La Caja China, Bubba Keg, Bodom Picnic Grill, Weber Genesis
SmokeInDaEye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2007, 09:07 PM   #8
cmcadams

Mista, that reminds me of a day when I had 3 racks of ribs that I tried texas pepper jelly on. They got really overcooked, and I had them on the counter to cool so I could pitch them. A friend stopped by and tried one, then another, and ate a whole rack. I sent them home with him. He tells me I should come up with a slogan like "My friends even love my failures"

Livefire Whisky

CBJ, some comps, a few awards, Certified Artisan Steak Taster.

XL Big Green Egg, Bubba Keg Convection Grill, Weber Kettle, Charbroil Infrared and mad livefire cooking skillz! :)
cmcadams is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2007, 09:13 PM   #9
QansasjayhawQ
is One Chatty Farker

Something somewhere, way back there in the dusty corners of my memory . . . it seems that sufficient heat breaks down capsaicin, the molecules that make peppers hot.

I remember my first ABTs weren't nearly as hot as I thought they would be (I like to munch on Jalepenos straight out of the garden) . . . but the row furthest away from the firebox were spicier than the others.

Congrats on the save! Sometimes success comes from simply pitching your stuff to the right crowd . . .

For what it's worth . . .

/Brother Dave
http://www.moocowbbq.com/
Two Weber 22.5" kettles One Brinkmann Smoke'N PitMaster Deluxe One LARGE WSM! (special black glossy finish) w/Stoker! WooHoo! KCBS Member/KCBS Master CBJ #24295
Sweaty, smokey and enjoying every minute.
QansasjayhawQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2007, 09:32 PM   #10
Bigmista

Here is basically what I used for a marinade:

5 habaneros
1 medium onion
6 green onions ( white parts only)
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/8 cup apple cider vinegar
1/8 cup canola oil
1 tablespoon black pepper
2 tsp thyme
2 tsp allspice
2 tsp cinnamon

I thought it would be spicy. I guess the smoke mellowed it.

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2007, 09:51 PM   #11
swamprb

Did you seed the Habs?
I think we are our harshest critics, I always try to elicit an honest opinion from my test subjects, most are always polite and I have to prod them, except for my youngest sister who was a pastry chef and cook before raising a family- she is honest and sometimes blunt, but I take her advice and critique!
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2007, 05:43 AM   #12
Grumpy's Q
is One Chatty Farker

Should have burned your lips off! I wonder why there was no heat? Gald it worked out for ya.
Fish fryer/ turkey fryer
22 1/2 inch Weber gold kettle..blue
1 small tailgate gasser
3 Big Green eggs, 1 medium and 2 larges
Grumpy's Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2007, 07:09 AM   #13
bowhnter
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmista
*grumble*AAAARRRGGHH!

They said if this is bad I can't even imagine what good tastes like.

Now the dish is empty, folx are happy and one guy wants me to cater a birthday party. Go figure.

Yep, that's funny. We complain all the time about the cook, yet the people eating it rave on and on....

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber kettle 22” and 26”
Weber Genesis
Blackstone 22 and 36
Weber Jumbo Joe for the RV
Ooni Pro Pizza Oven

Join us for the South East Bash in Lebanon, Tn. May 4, 2024 https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...p=drivesdk)%5D
Bash planning thread here https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/s...d.php?t=305951
bowhnter is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2007, 07:32 AM   #14
biffleg
is One Chatty Farker

Nice save! My wife has always said I'm my toughest critic. I guess it's that eternal search for the perfect que!
biffleg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2007, 08:02 AM   #15
Neil

Maybe they were sweet baby bells mistaken for habs. My first experience with a hab was when I thought it was a red sweet baby bell pepper. Plopped that puppy in my mouth bit down and spit it out crying!

Mange Bene Viva Bene!

Old Country Over/Under, Weber: 18.5" WSM, 22.5" WSM, Weber Performer(Col. Steve Austin Mod), Two 22.5" Kettles, & a Smokey Joe; Old Country 36" griddle, Luhr-Jensen Big Chief, Turkey Fryer, Rocky Mountain Camp Stove and a UDS.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote