MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ > For the Board

Notices

For the Board *On Topic Only* Strictly moderated. NO BAD KARMA! This forum is for questions and discussions you would like reviewed by members of the KCBS(or other BBQ orgs) Board of Directors. A clean and direct place where they do not have to wade thru day to day chatter.

Old 09-17-2011, 11:46 AM   #1
Vince RnQ
is One Chatty Farker

Default How Unbelievably Embarrasing

KCBS BOD MEETING QUICK NOTES - Sept. 14, 2011

September 15, 2011

Board of Directors Meeting - September 14, 2011

MINUTES

President Candy Weaver called the meeting to order at 7:08 p.m. central time.

Because the official agenda for the meeting was not received by the members of the board in time to consider issues coming before the board, Paul Kirk made a motion to continue the meeting to Wednesday, September 21st at 7:00. Seconded by Randy Bigler, the motion passed. Unanimously. Paul Kirk then made a motion to adjourn at 7:12 p.m. Seconded by Randy Bigler, the vote was unanimous.

Really?
Vince RnQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->

Old 09-17-2011, 11:48 AM   #2
bbqchicken
is One Chatty Farker

I hate lazy people they look for any excuse.
Old 09-17-2011, 11:41 PM   #3
Matt_A
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqchicken View Post
I hate lazy people they look for any excuse.
Any excuse for what? You've never had anything go wrong in your life?? Or would you prefer the board made uniformed snap decisions that could affect how you compete?
Old 09-18-2011, 12:59 AM   #4
Rookie'48
Quintessential Chatty Farker

So why wasn't the agenda sent out on time? Doesn't the BoD meet on a regular schedule? Seems to me that the agenda should have been ready.
When I was a union steward the grievance committee's agenda had a definite cut-off time for new items. If you turned in your grievance too late, you had to wait for the next hearing in two months. The agenda would then be typed up & distributed to the interested parties. The only exceptions to the cut-off were for resolving suspentions or terminations - anything else would have to wait.
We never had to postpone because the agenda wasn't taken care of in the proper manner.
Judge Number 6 competition BBQ team

Possibly the only judge ever to get an award from a bunch of cooks

UDS 075 UCB WSM and a bunch of other stuff.
Rookie'48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 12:54 PM   #5
riblette
On the road to being a farker

I've sent an email to KCBS asking for an explanation. This seems absurd, but, unfortunately it's not inconsistent with the current BOD track record. I could almost understand it if these guys were the BOD for a tiny local group, but for an organization that represents 14,000 members and controls a huge budget....come on.

If I get a response I will post it here.
Old 09-18-2011, 08:41 PM   #6
gmholler
Full Fledged Farker

Last time I checked, the entire KCBS BOD was all volunteers. Might it not be the case that someone's "real life" might've interfered? I know y'all are going to say they should have thought of that when they took the position, but come on, it would always be nice to know in advance that this or that event was going to occur, but you and I know that life isn't like that!

Of course, I can speculate that we're all being played for fools and this is all part of a plan to defraud the membership and it's being spun with the excuse of the agenda being late to confuse us. Call me naiive, but I don't think so. Now, if this were happening every month, yes, I'd worry and I'd agree that it's not right - but that's not the case, at least right now. Things happen.

Lynn H.
gmholler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 07:55 AM   #7
Arlin_MacRae
somebody shut me the fark up.

Meh. Stuff happens sometimes. And everyone deserves some slack sometimes too.

Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition, Pit Boss NASCAR Tailgater
Home Brewer, Murderer of Squirrels, Armadillo Inspector
Flaming Pig Head Mod
Certified KCBS Master BBQ Judge
Arlin_MacRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 09:35 AM   #8
tmcmaster
is One Chatty Farker

No offense to anyone, but 'real life' takes priority over BBQ...
Old 09-19-2011, 12:00 PM   #9
Vince RnQ
is One Chatty Farker

I call "Bullsheet"!

I've been a member of KCBS for going on 5 years and this is the first time that I can recall that an entire BoD meeting had to be rescheduled because the agenda wasn't put out on time. We're not talking about some local club meeting where decisions that impact a handful of people are made. This is a national organization and the BoD has a responsibility to people all across the nation.

When something as simple as the distribution of the meeting agenda brings the process to a screeching halt, there's a bit of a problem there that shouldn't be allowed to persist.

Sorry folks, the old "life sometimes gets in the way" excuse doesn't pass muster here.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:55 PM   #10
gmholler
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionQuest220 View Post
I call "Bullsheet"!

I've been a member of KCBS for going on 5 years and this is the first time that I can recall that an entire BoD meeting had to be rescheduled because the agenda wasn't put out on time. We're not talking about some local club meeting where decisions that impact a handful of people are made. This is a national organization and the BoD has a responsibility to people all across the nation.

When something as simple as the distribution of the meeting agenda brings the process to a screeching halt, there's a bit of a problem there that shouldn't be allowed to persist.

Sorry folks, the old "life sometimes gets in the way" excuse doesn't pass muster here.
I'm sorry, my friend, but try as I may I can't understand your point of view. The KCBS BOD is staffed by VOLUNTEERS (and I'm not speaking of the TN football team). I've been a member since 2005, and while it might've happened sometime earlier, like when email was a new "thing", this is also the first time for a meeting to be delayed like this in my memory - but that's just part of the nature of something volunteer. It's not like they're paid to be timely. And in the least, they came up with a plan to try to remedy this - what more would you have them do? At least they're acknowledging that they haven't had enough time to consider the issues on the agenda instead of just blindly voting on them.

Is there something MORE to this that you're seeing?

Lynn H.
Old 09-19-2011, 01:01 PM   #11
Slamdunkpro
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmholler View Post
I'm sorry, my friend, but try as I may I can't understand your point of view. The KCBS BOD is staffed by VOLUNTEERS (and I'm not speaking of the TN football team).
Don't the office staff and executive director draw salaries?
Spicewine Tandem - "The Beast"
, 2 Vulcan V33's & 1 V9
Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
MABA - (Mid Atlantic BBQ Association) President
KCBS Certified Judge - #23289
Slamdunkpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 09-19-2011, 01:02 PM   #12
chambersuac
somebody shut me the fark up.

I don't know who is responsible for getting the agenda out, but for some reason he/she didn't get it done. Could be a variety of reasons. Meeting postponed one week. Were they voting on taking someone off of life support or something life threatening????

As one who's profession is prone to be ridiculed for any and every real or perceived error, I am willing to "put the best construction on it" and "explain everything in the kindest way" and chalk it up to a simple mistake. If this starts happening regularly, then it will be a problem.

IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball maker and IMBAS Sgt. At Arms.

And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified. [Acts 20:32 KJV]
chambersuac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 01:49 PM   #13
gmholler
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamdunkpro View Post
Don't the office staff and executive director draw salaries?
I didn't know they were on the BOD. Are they? If so, I stand corrected. As far as I know, the staff and executive director DO, but neither is responsible for getting out the agenda. As far as I know, the BOD puts out the agenda for the BOD meeting.

Lynn H.
Old 09-19-2011, 01:57 PM   #14
Vince RnQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmholler View Post
I'm sorry, my friend, but try as I may I can't understand your point of view. The KCBS BOD is staffed by VOLUNTEERS (and I'm not speaking of the TN football team). I've been a member since 2005, and while it might've happened sometime earlier, like when email was a new "thing", this is also the first time for a meeting to be delayed like this in my memory - but that's just part of the nature of something volunteer. It's not like they're paid to be timely. And in the least, they came up with a plan to try to remedy this - what more would you have them do? At least they're acknowledging that they haven't had enough time to consider the issues on the agenda instead of just blindly voting on them.

Is there something MORE to this that you're seeing?

Lynn H.
Lynn, the volunteer argument doesn't cut it with me either. No one forced any of these people to volunteer to run for the office, nor did anyone force any of them to become officers.

It's really very simple: if you volunteer, you are accepting a responsibility to perform, not to attempt to perform unless it becomes inconvenient.

Look, they have a month, an entire month, to put out the agenda. That not happening is simply inexcusable especially since they know that the meeting cannot take place unless it happens on time.
Old 09-19-2011, 02:53 PM   #15
gmholler
Full Fledged Farker

Yes, it IS very simple; the agenda didn't get out. It makes no difference if it was deviously planned or a simple mistake; the end result is there was no agenda. No, it shouldn't have happened. Actions (and non-actions) have consequences - I think they realize that. The BOD came up with their solution - hold the meeting a week later. Apparently they feel/felt this is/would be more beneficial to the membership. What would have been your solution? Is there anything they can do that you feel they aren't doing?

Lynn H.