MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-29-2010, 08:55 AM   #1
Gerritt
Got Wood.

Exclamation Help! Leg of Lamb

Hello brethren!

I have cooked many a lamb chops... but I have company coming and picked up a small leg of lamb..

anyone have any thought how I should prepare this for cooking on my offset barrel smoker....???

Thanks in advance!!

G.
Gerritt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-29-2010, 09:25 AM   #2
Frank Sacco
is One Chatty Farker

I'm no expert when it comes to cooking lamb. I had one botched cook and never tried to redeem myself... With that being said. If you use the search engines below you will be able to find some answers.
Sponsors: Oakridge BBQ, Frontier Charcoal
NEBS MAFIA
Blazin' Buttz BBQ www.blazinbuttzbbq.com
Frank Sacco is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2010, 07:49 AM   #3
woodwardbbq
Got Wood.

I love leg of lamb.I chop fresh rosemary,garlic, course salt .Mix it on the counter and roll the leg in the mix to coat.If the leg is bone out,I put some in side.I cook to 140 deg. and let rest.
woodwardbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2010, 07:59 AM   #4
Grillman
is One Chatty Farker

Personally I prefer Leg of Lamb done the "Hot-N-Fast" way.
Use your favorite Lamb seasoning; or something like Woodwardbbq mentioned in his
post.
If you don't want to do it Hot n Fast...I would pretty much treat it like you
would a nice Beef Roast.

See what others have to say, and decide from there how you want to cook it.

Old 05-30-2010, 08:08 AM   #5
Chef Jim
Babbling Farker

Did you see my throwdown thread? It's all right here. http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=85498

[FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=3][FONT=Tahoma]A veteran is Someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are far too many people in this country who no longer understand it. Author unknown.[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR=Red][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/COLOR]
Chef Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2010, 11:14 AM   #6
nzrebel
Full Fledged Farker

I marinate my lamb in red wine, olive oil, rosemary, garlic and kosher salt. All in a gallon bag with a 5# chunk of leg. Leave it in this for at least 6 hours.

I cook it indirect on a weber kettle with a few hickory chips in the coals. Cook to NO MORE THAN 140 degrees internal, less if you like it still kicking, which I do. Let it sit for at least 45 minutes before carving it.

If you like you can make a mint sauce out of 1/2 cup finely chopped mint steeped in 3/4 cup boiling water. Steep for 15 minutes then add 3 tablespoons of sugar and 1/3 cup of malt vinegar. Stir well and let cool. That's REAL mint sauce and it fantastic with grilled lamb leg. Stay away from that horrible Mint Jelly they sell.

Lamb- It's what Bill has for breakfast

Dave

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-31-2010, 12:09 PM   #7
Gerritt
Got Wood.

Thank you everyone! I deboned it slathered it with Olive oil, Rosemary and garlic... Smoked with Apple and a bit of hickory. Tied it up and cooked to an internal temp of 130, I then foiled it and let it rest.

It was AWESOME!!! and the crowd loved it

thank you again for all the tips, it certainly was appreciated!

G.

Old 05-31-2010, 12:16 PM   #8
Chef Jim
Babbling Farker

Good work, how about some prons?

[FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=3][FONT=Tahoma]A veteran is Someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are far too many people in this country who no longer understand it. Author unknown.[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR=Red][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/COLOR]
Chef Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2010, 12:31 PM   #9
Gerritt
Got Wood.

I was so busy with entertaining 20+ guests grabbing the camera slipped my mind.. :(

I also did up a pile of Honey Garlic Pork tenderloin, Chicken legs and thighs, and a veggie burger (Blech! for the one non carnivore in our midst)

I will do this Lamb again, and will be sure to post pictures..

G.

Old 05-31-2010, 01:07 PM   #10
Paulmark
is One Chatty Farker

Way to go, sounds great. I've done one like you did yours. I made a mint, jalapeno,apricot chutney to go with it, different but good.
Paulmark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2010, 04:56 PM   #11
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrebel View Post
I marinate my lamb in red wine, olive oil, rosemary, garlic and kosher salt. All in a gallon bag with a 5# chunk of leg. Leave it in this for at least 6 hours.

I cook it indirect on a weber kettle with a few hickory chips in the coals. Cook to NO MORE THAN 140 degrees internal, less if you like it still kicking, which I do. Let it sit for at least 45 minutes before carving it.

If you like you can make a mint sauce out of 1/2 cup finely chopped mint steeped in 3/4 cup boiling water. Steep for 15 minutes then add 3 tablespoons of sugar and 1/3 cup of malt vinegar. Stir well and let cool. That's REAL mint sauce and it fantastic with grilled lamb leg. Stay away from that horrible Mint Jelly they sell.

Dave
I've used rosemary, garlic and salt many times and it comes out great, but this recipe sounds fantastic! I am going to try it some time.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2010, 07:34 PM   #12
SmokinAussie
somebody shut me the fark up.

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland! (Finally Escaped Melbourne)
Name/Nickname : Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrebel View Post

Dave
In fact I did have lamb for breakfast this morning... no joke!

In anycase, sorry for not finding this thread earlier. I've done Lamb Leg Roast on my offset and my Weber copy a few million times. Dave's advice was perfect, and I'd expect no less from a proud Kiwi. I generally use a very dry white wine though. I find in the smoker that you do not need to use a complex rub. I simply use black pepper and celery salt sparingly.

I'm glad it came out well, but you can't get a tick of approval without Pron....

Cheers!

Bill
SmokinAussie is online now   Reply With Quote