• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

If I wanted to build a UDS...

The metal ones may be ok, but they may have the resin coating on the inside. A pain to get out but do-able. Obviously, the plastic barrels won't work :wink:

Looks like they would be just fine. Would still do a burn out.

Sure would. Same price I get Food Grade drums for here in Idaho.

I use a weed burner and heat the drum from the outside. Get it glowing red. If they have the dreaded red liner, it will grind off real easy after heating.

Good Luck!

Jeff S.

Eeeesh i might take some lashings here but those barrels should have a liner in it if they're food grade. From my understanding it's a real pain to remove the liner. I personally would spend the extra money and buy a new one and save myself the headache. Just my .02

-Lag

I sent an email to ask if they had liners or resin coatings on the inside.

If the barrels have a tan liner that will burn out and clean up ok. I would stay away from any barrels with a red liner. It is practically indestructible. I have been looking in my area for some barrels with no liner but have been unsuccessful.

Last edited:
Personally I would check Charlotte or Salem for companies that have refurbished drums. It might be a little bit of a drive but that is nothing compared to the time you will spend trying to remove a liner.

But new or recon's is my advice. Removing any lining is a pain and not worth the trouble imo. Steve.

All 6 of the UDS I have made have had the "dreaded" red liner. Takes about 1-1/2 hours with the weed burner from the outside to get it off. Then pressure wash (high pressure) the inside. I then give the barrely a good, greasy seasoning with a fatty or 2 that I don't eat. Then you've got an amber enamel on the inside. Good to go.

I sent the guy an email asking about the inside of the drums so I'll wait to see what he says. I don't have a weed burner but I'd probably be willing to buy a cheap one for this project should I decide to undertake it. I haven't completely decided if I want to do this yet but I might just give it a try as a project to see if I can do it. There would only be a very rare occasion where I would need a cooker that size.

I did a UDS for a co-worker that had a tan liner (it contained high fructose corn syrup). After two good burns, it wasn't too hard to remove the liner with a random orbit sander using 40 grit. It wasn't fun, mind you, but wasn't horrible either, just wear a mask! I think I ran a total of 5 pallets and a few oak logs in it. The liner just laughs at JASCO paint remover, don't waste your time or remover.

Matt

And tan liners are the easy ones to remove!!! Jump on a red one!!!

I did a UDS for a co-worker that had a tan liner (it contained high fructose corn syrup). After two good burns, it wasn't too hard to remove the liner with a random orbit sander using 40 grit. It wasn't fun, mind you, but wasn't horrible either, just wear a mask! I think I ran a total of 5 pallets and a few oak logs in it. The liner just laughs at JASCO paint remover, don't waste your time or remover.

Matt

Save yourself the Headache and Heartache
and find a refurbished Drum, sans liner, if you can....

I found mine thru the Yellow Pages...

$30 bucks....money well spent......

When opened, my refurbished close top drum was bare. I just picked this up last week. I just used a weed burner to strip the exterior paint.

Attachments

• P1060055.jpg
    P1060055.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 93
  • P1060057.jpg
    P1060057.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 92
just curious, why'd you strip exterior paint?
I'm not sure if it would have held up to 400°F drum temperature. Besides, it wasn't my color.
Also, in stripping the exterior paint with the burner it also sanitized the interior of the drum with its high heat and burned off whatever residue they used, I hope.

Back