MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-02-2009, 10:05 PM   #1
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Butcher Paper Wrapped Brisket

I have seen a few threads that mention the use of butcher paper in lieu of foil for wrapping and holding brisket. Funk has suggested it in several threads. I have read about the Central Texas brisket meccas using butcher paper this way.

I think this deserves a thread all by itself. Does anyone use this method who would give us their insight?

I am in the mood to try it.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-02-2009, 10:14 PM   #2
RixCue
Full Fledged Farker

Give it a try . I have used brown paper bags on butts. It helps like foil with out all the steam.

Rick
Elite Black Therapen, The Fastest
Full bag of R/O lump
RixCue is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-02-2009, 10:14 PM   #3
ZILLA
is Blowin Smoke!

When I was at Snows BBQ in Lexington, Texas a while back they said that's haw they do it. They make the best brisket you'll ever taste.
ZILLA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-02-2009, 10:24 PM   #4
FatDaddy
is One Chatty Farker

I've seen em use paper sacks. Friend of mine uses clean unlined feed sacks from the feed lot. Works out pretty good seems like.

Home made 5' reverse flow smoker
Lg BGE
WSM 18.5
WSM 22.5
Weber Kettle 22 1/2" silver series
Weber Copper Smokey Joe Gold 14.5"
GPS trackable RED super fast thermopen

http://www.facebook.com/jtempleton2

FatDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-02-2009, 10:33 PM   #5
MilitantSquatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZILLA View Post
When I was at Snows BBQ in Lexington, Texas a while back they said that's haw they do it. They make the best brisket you'll ever taste.
This article about Snow's in Texas Monthly confirms the butcher paper technique.

"She starts the meat smoking at four and wraps the brisket in butcher paper around six or seven."

XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles

Last edited by MilitantSquatter; 06-05-2011 at 02:33 PM..
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-02-2009, 10:40 PM   #6
ZILLA
is Blowin Smoke!

That old gal is really nice, even after a long morning of cooking she will stop and shoot the breeze with you. If you guys ever get the chance, go. All you need is a good GPS system in your car. Saying that this place is out of the way would be an understatement.
ZILLA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-02-2009, 11:02 PM   #7
Weiser
is one Smokin' Farker

I have wrapped a few Briskets in paper and left
them on for a couple of hours.
I'm talking about 225°

It works.

Weiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZILLA View Post
That old gal is really nice, even after a long morning of cooking she will stop and shoot the breeze with you. If you guys ever get the chance, go. All you need is a good GPS system in your car. Saying that this place is out of the way would be an understatement.
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR]
Weiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2009, 08:43 AM   #8
daedalus
Full Fledged Farker

I am a little confused...why is butcher paper supposed to be better? What will it do that foil wont?

Dark Horse BBQ Competition Team
KCBS Master CBJ
Certified Moink Baller

Good One "Open Range" Smoker, WMS (Cirqa 1983), Rescued NB offset, Modified ECB, No-name Charcoal Grill, Perfect Flame Gasser, Weber 22.5" One Touch Silver
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2009, 08:53 AM   #9
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatDaddy View Post
I've seen em use paper sacks. Friend of mine uses clean unlined feed sacks from the feed lot. Works out pretty good seems like.

THIS IS REAL DEAL!!!! WAY BACK IN TIME!!!!!!

I had a picture of this somewhere. Hmmm I guess you have to watch "GIANT" to see this. Of course they were not eating brisket though.

I think new feed sacks have a linseed oil additive now. It smells like it does. Could have been the sacks I looked at though.

Old 05-03-2009, 08:55 AM   #10
buckinbbq
Knows what a fatty is.

Gonna have to watch this one
buckinbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2009, 09:09 AM   #11
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalus View Post
I am a little confused...why is butcher paper supposed to be better? What will it do that foil wont?
Okay, I am not saying butcher paper is better, just different.

There are several reasons some use paper.

Paper can be both a wrapping for the brisket to rest, smoke when its stalled to quicken the pace (like foil) but you don't have to worry about mushing up your well defined bark as much. There should be no liquids used.... the brisket has enough in it at stall. Plus anyone cooking the brisket at its zenith of tenderness and that is concerned with OVERCOOKING might prefer paper over foil. I am not saying foil will overcook... thats more up to the cook, but you have to fret about it less because there's less of a seal.

Paper is better to wrap in to rest and cool because there is no reaction to the meat (like when the meat eats through the foil, which can leaches aluminum into the brisket then into the body, which can cause Alzheimers)

I used paper sacks because I had 300 at one time. great until you try and retrieve one and it falls through. Butcher paper won't do that as much.
Foil can leach aluminum into the brisket then into the body, which can cause Alzheimers.

I also like it because I can grab one without pads or gloves.
Whereas foil can leach aluminum into the brisket then into the body, which can cause Alzheimers

Butcher paper also is a great serving platform. So if you have it around (ITS WAY CHEAPER) it works out well.

Basically it steams less but still confines the heat in the paper (depending on how tight you wrap it [wrap once with folds up, then again with folds down and the meat resting on it to close it]. You can even fold it a bit like foil. Only thing is foil can leach aluminum into the brisket then into the body, which can cause Alzheimers.

Old 05-03-2009, 09:27 AM   #12
Dale P
is One Chatty Farker

I wrap my brisket with toliet paper. I wonder if that is why it taste like chit?

Perry Brothers & Sons Bar-B-Q

Last edited by Dale P; 05-03-2009 at 09:33 AM.. Reason: in/with
Dale P is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-03-2009, 09:29 AM   #13
jturk
Knows what a fatty is.

At the risk of me sounding stupid... do you wrap it in paper then back in the smoker, or when you take it off for the post smoking hold time? Thanks
jturk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2009, 09:38 AM   #14
Trucky1008
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale P View Post
I wrap my brisket with toliet paper. I wonder if that is why it taste like chit?
Now that's funny!

Jambo Backyard
Gateway Drum
Fast Eddy FEC100 X2
BGE- Large x2
Certified MOINK Ball Maker, 2008
KCBS Member and CBJ
8.5 X 28' ATC Trailer
Trucky1008 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2009, 09:57 AM   #15
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

A paper wrap works good. Some folks are quick to point out that paper bags from the market are not sanitary, so take that with a grain of salt. They also will soak up some fat and tear easily, so beware of that.

Butcher paper is stronger than paper bags, but some butcher paper has a coating on one side, as does the white "freezer paper', so I use the dull side for wrapping, not the shiny one.

Speaking of paper bags, they were very popular around the turn of the century for cooking in......My granny cooked a lot of stuff in paper bags. I may have to do some potatoes in one tonight just for old time sake. I've added the most important rule to the top of the chart I scanned. That is 215° oven temp for 8 minutes, then reduce the oven temp to 170°. The other tip is to oil the inside when cooking meats so they won't stick to the bag.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Tags
Butcher Paper, foil, pink butcher paper, Red Butcher Paper, wrapping