An Illustrated Guide to Jambalaya

Thanks Noah! Did not realize just how simple this dish is to make! I hate to admit it but this Yankee's been going the Zatarains route with my leftovers. You did a great job with the instuction.

I must admit that i eat the heck out of the Zatarain's (yankee mod)
But i think i just found a new favorite!! Thanks for the pictoral, will be trying this very soon!! :biggrin:

That is the quick method...

Your's is the best way to go.... looks a lot like what I do. although I do not start out with the rue.... I will have to give that a try next time.

I do the same as you with the meat. Little smokies work great as well... and since I am allergic to pork... turkey ham is in mine, along with some turkey bacon, shrimp, and what ever else is in the fridge in the way.... ever try brisket..... (super good mod).

Thanks again for the pictorial...

BigDog, it is a 12" Lodge dutch oven. Usually you can find them for around $30-40 at BB&B, or LNT. A good dutch oven is worth its weight in gold!

Thanks Noah. I just have never seen a lid like yours.

Outstanding Noah. Thanks. Just added this to the menu for this week!!:-D :cool:

Thanks for the pictorial Noah. You know I've been making this regularly since you shared the recipe. Excellent flavor. Think I'll go dig a bag out of the freezer for tomorrow.

\#/ \#/ \#/ \#/ \#/
Kevin,
I owe you for the bean recipe, and that you are probably the only one who remembers the crotch waffle...:twisted:

Very nice, Noah! The pictures and step by step guide are well done. I've add this to the KCQuer Roadmap to the Q-Talk forum.

Jambalaya is now on my list of things to cook, soon!
Thanks Ron!

Real good looking recipe ya got there. Do you add your shrimps with the other meat, of wait until closer to being done?

You almost lost me at "possum".....but go on...

In the south, it's the other "other white meat ". . .

Real good looking recipe ya got there. Do you add your shrimps with the other meat, of wait until closer to being done?

In the south, it's the other "other white meat ". . .
I would prefer to add the shrimp later in the cook, however that would mean messing with the rice during the "do not touch" period. So I add all of my meat at the last minute, unless it is uncooked.

If possum is hard to come by, then you could use armadillo, coon, or squirrel in a pinch.:biggrin:

Just updated a few things, but wondering what some of you do different.

Thanks Noah...

Great post... very informative. I've had jambalaya a few times but never made it myself. Something now on my "to do" list.

(PS - Kevin is not the only one who remembers the \#/ post :biggrin:)

I had just printed out a list of ingredients to purchase on my way home as you've now made me WANT Jambalaya tonight and I've just realised that my other half is out tonight.......so I'm having it tomorrow instead!

Thanks for the post!

Well, I know what i'm making later this week. MMMMMMM good!!

This looks incredible. I know what I'm doing on Sunday.

Don't have a fancy pot like that, so will just have to use my standard stock pot. Wonder if putting in a crumbled piece of aluminum across the inside of the lid would have the same kind of effect?

CT, let me know how it turns out! Neil, using a regular stock pot is what I use when doing really large batches. Just be real careful when making the roux, as you might get hotspots in the bottom of the pot. Vinny, you have me keeping the faith, and critter, just let me know if you need any possum!

CT, let me know how it turns out! Neil, using a regular stock pot is what I use when doing really large batches. Just be real careful when making the roux, as you might get hotspots in the bottom of the pot. Vinny, you have me keeping the faith, and critter, just let me know if you need any possum!

I made it anyway, it's a lot of food to eat on your own!! :lol: It's the best Jamb I've had!!

The roux went well, I was gritting my teeth trying to get it to go a brick red without burning but didnt have any problems!!

I used Cubed Smoked Pork, Griddled Chicken Breast Sliced, shelled Tiger Prawns and sliced Smoked Sausage.

I'm having it again tonight with my other half and then freezing the rest!!!!

Thanks for the recipe, I'm putting that one in the book!!!

Attachments

• Small-Jam.JPG
    Small-Jam.JPG
    79.8 KB · Views: 294
Last edited:
Back