What was your "starter" rib rub?

bbq1980

Knows what a fatty is.
I've used the Oakridge Dominator rub with good results and it will likely become something I keep on hand regularly, but I'd like to go back to experimenting and having scoured old posts plus the web, I'm curious as to what "base" rubs people have used to build off of or how people have combined them to create a personal favorite. I'm not looking for anyone to divulge any secrets, just toss out a decent starting point.

As far as components go, I envision my own base consisting of homemade chili powder, smoked paprika, and turbinado sugar or a mix of turbinado and brown sugar but haven't really contemplated sugar ratios yet. I'm also planning on investing in a spice grinder to tinker with coarseness. The goal is a balanced rub (not too hot, not cloyingly sweet) that won't burn and will help contribute to a mahogony-type of color.

So far, from recipes available online, Mike Mills Magic Dust (but cutting back on the cumin & salt), Meathead's Memphis Dust and Raichlen's all-purpose rub seem to be the best looking starters I've found but I'm curious about any others. I've also read about applying salt to meat first then subsequently omitting it from the rub or using a blend of salts, like some kosher and some hickory salt. Thanks in advance for any tips.

Here's one that I like:
3 parts paprika
2 parts kosher salt
2 parts brown sugar
1 part garlic powder
1 part dried mustard
1 part powdered ginger

You are all so lucky. I started cooking ribs over coals back about 38 years ago, and the only reference I could find (some magazine article) was that you used Texas chile powder. Woooo, that was flavorful (not). Yep, no salt, no pepper, just chile powder. Horrid.

It wasn't until I found a mentor who told me that salt, pepper, garlic and onion was all you needed, which was identical to what my mom used for roasts.

I love me some different rubs.

But, since I've been COOKING not just BBQ but anything my favorite things- salt, pepper, garlic, thyme and rosemary- have served me well every single time no matter the meat or combo.

I started with salt, pepper, garlic, onion, paprika, and Johnnys

I won't ever be without Oakridge now!

I just discovered a southern staple all purpose seasoning that was the OMG moment as I realized when I first tasted it, that it was the perfect seasoning profile for BBQ ribs. Tony Cachere's. My wife brought me some from Louisiana and I fell in love. I did a google search and found the original recipe that was in his book, Cajun Country Cookbook (which is available used on Amazon).

Better yet, just buy the stuff from the source: http://shop.tonychachere.com/original-creole-seasoning-17-oz-p-21715.html

(I have no connection to this company in any way, so this is NOT an attempt to sell a product).

I assumed you mean
'starter' as in the first rib rub I used when starting out.

Here is something on record. Prince literally is coming after me and my website so I have been shutting down a lot of videos that have his stuff on there. As I recall, this song is literally not his.... so hopefully his lawyer will not ding me again for a second strike. I went like almost 6 years ding free and certainly stole a lot of his work.

Humes High Rub and the Spice Packet for Red and Wett is on here.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jLXs9F0KzM"]Lost Secret Rub Recipe for Popdaddys Redd And Wett BBQ Sauce - YouTube[/ame]

Then there is the Slather I also no longer use.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJt4XKbuAAI"]Cut Slather and Rub PD - YouTube[/ame]

meatheads Memphis dust

I started here too - modified slightly for our tastes. I've tweaked it a bit each time but settled nicely not too far from the orginial and that's become my go-to for both ribs and for pork butt.

Although the family really loved Oakridge's dominator rub...they may be demanding a switch ;)

My first was off the Weber sight, the recipe for cooking St Louis ribs. I still go back to it once in a while get lots of compliments on it.

This is a basic recipe that I use, tweaking here or there to taste.:-D
3 tablespoon coarsely ground black pepper
2 tablespoons table salt
1 tablespoon granulated white sugar
1 tablespoon onion powder
2 teaspoons mustard powder
2 teaspoons garlic powder (I use a tbl. spn)
2 teaspoons chili or ancho powder (I make my own chili powder by smoking and drying poblano peppers on the pit, then grinding them in a coffee grinder.)
1 teaspoon chipotle or cayenne powder

My rub started from the BRITU (Best Ribs In The Universe) recipe that can be found at www.tvwbb.com. I found it to be salty and I think it is that way by design. The originator and I both recommend a dusting. Don't cake it on.

¾ cup Paprika
¼ cup sugar

¼ cup ground black pepper
¼ salt
¼ cup chilli powder
2 tablespoons onion powder
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)

Back