MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-06-2010, 04:30 PM   #1
DaveMW
is One Chatty Farker

Default Restoring a 1987 Weber Kettle

I was just given an old Weber kettle (3 daisy wheels on bottom) and was looking to restore it.

Several questions come to mind if anyone can provide answers as I am a newbie at this.
1) Can't I prep the kettle (clean, sand etc) and just repaint the entire kettle with high temp (Rustoleum 1200 degree) paint?
2) Should I even try the trouble of restoring the bottom parts (some rust and dings in these parts) or should I just buy the $23 kit for the bottom that gives you everything from the kettle down?
I plan on takling it all apart & cleaning etc. I will replace the rusted screws and was planning on sanding the handles and go with something that will show off teh wood contrasted against the black kettle. All input & thoughts welcome.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg weber J kettle.jpg (111.6 KB, 1547 views)
DaveMW is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-06-2010, 04:38 PM   #2
Smiter Q
is One Chatty Farker

As I understand it, the webers are not just painted.. but have a porcelain enamel.
So sanding it would take off that coating.
Smiter Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-06-2010, 05:06 PM   #3
Harbormaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Clark

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMW View Post
I was just given an old Weber kettle (3 daisy wheels on bottom) and was looking to restore it.

Several questions come to mind if anyone can provide answers as I am a newbie at this.
1) Can't I prep the kettle (clean, sand etc) and just repaint the entire kettle with high temp (Rustoleum 1200 degree) paint? SwamprB recommends sanding the area that has lost the porcelain, mask off as close as you can to the non-porcelain surface and just paint that area.
2) Should I even try the trouble of restoring the bottom parts (some rust and dings in these parts) or should I just buy the $23 kit for the bottom that gives you everything from the kettle down? I have re-used the lower vents in previous restorations. Drill or grind the rivets out and replace with stainless machine screws, washers and jam nuts.
I plan on takling it all apart & cleaning etc. I will replace the rusted screws and was planning on sanding the handles and go with something that will show off teh wood contrasted against the black kettle. Sand the handles until you get the color you want (the Weber logo will likely go away) and treat with teak oil (I get it at Home Depot) All input & thoughts welcome.
If any of the handles are coming loose where welded to the body, I drill those and fasten with the stainless hardware mentioned above.

Good luck, enjoy the kettle!
Brinkman Cimmaron.
"For when democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote"
Harbormaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-06-2010, 07:16 PM   #4
jonboy
is One Chatty Farker

Where is edgewood ky?
I would hose off the grill and light a chimney.
That grill looks like it is ready and willing.
Rub the handles with a little oil and let her go.
jon
jonboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-06-2010, 09:53 PM   #5
Brauma

Please keep us posted Dave. I've recently scored a 1991 N Kettle. The top of mine is completely faded and looks gray. I'm not sure it I should paint it or let it ride. If you paint yours please give an update.

I do need some wooden handles though. If you or anyone else has some extra wooden handles please let me know.

Community Development VP - Secret Squirrel Society (but we don't exist)
Member: KCBS. CBJ

New Braunfels Bandera - refurbished; Two Big Green Eggs; 6' fire pit; Weber Kettles; Superfast Blue Thermepan
Brauma is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-06-2010, 11:13 PM   #6
Boshizzle

Good luck with the restore. I just got one like yours today thinking I could use it for my UDS but, I am having second thoughts on that. I restored an 18.5" that came out great, so I may restore the 22.5" that I got today too instead of using it for my UDS.

Old 08-06-2010, 11:53 PM   #7
grillfella
is one Smokin' Farker

I have a chance at restoring a red weber kettle. wonder if it's worth it
grillfella is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-07-2010, 08:12 AM   #8
Smoke & Beers
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by grillfella View Post
I have a chance at restoring a red weber kettle. wonder if it's worth it
Yes, Yes, Yes... You know they don't make Reds anymore...
Weber One Touch Gold & a Weber 22 1/2" Silver
Traeger Jr
2 UDS's Born 9-19-08 & 3-6-09
Weber Smokey Joe Platinum
[COLOR=red][COLOR=black]Super Fast[/COLOR][B] RED THERMAPEN[/B][/COLOR]

"If you got them by the MOINK balls, their hearts and minds will follow" -John Wayne
Smoke & Beers is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-07-2010, 01:55 PM   #9
DaveMW
is One Chatty Farker

Default Thanks

Thanks for all the info.

SmiterQ - thanks for telling me that, I was unaware. That explains why SwamprB paints only the damaged areas.

Harbormaster - thanks for the wealth of information.\

Jonboy - Edgewood, KY is 10 miles south of Cincinnati, OH

I will keep updating and posting photos as this project progresses. What started as a free grill has turned in to a fun project. I am excited to start taking it apart and cleaning it up. I am still a bit nervous about sanding down those spots and only painting the repaired areas and getting it to all blend properly. I hope I do it justice when I am done.

Old 08-07-2010, 03:10 PM   #10
mbshop
Babbling Farker

i probably overdo things. i take the whole thing apart and attack everything with 0000 steel wool. i clean up everything with it including the legs and vents. i replace all hardware with ss. i clean the porcelain that way also. some just won't become shinny anymore but that just ads caracter. i just lightly sand the wood handles and then treat them with a few coats of mineral oil.

Old 08-07-2010, 06:54 PM   #11
DaveMW
is One Chatty Farker

mbshop: how do the vents clean up? Can I get them looking pretty clean with that method?

Old 08-07-2010, 10:07 PM   #12
Harbormaster

Name/Nickname : Clark

Quote:
Harbormaster - thanks for the wealth of information.
You are most welcome!

Quote:
mbshop: how do the vents clean up? Can I get them looking pretty clean with that method?
I'll answer that. Yes, you will. I have also found that using Greased Lightning cleaner with a green ScotchBrite pad does a great job of cleaning the vents as well. The Greased Lightning works real well at getting rid of accumulated goo between the vent and body of the grill too.
Meant to add this gem first time around: If the vents are misshaped a little, place the vents on top of an open cup, or something just a little smaller in diameter than the vent and gently press on the center of the vent straight down into the cup. This will get it's concave shape back. If you go a little too far, that's OK since when you reattach the vent with the bolt and jam nut and will be able to control the tightness right where you want it.
Brinkman Cimmaron.
"For when democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote"
Harbormaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-07-2010, 10:43 PM   #13
scottfry11
Found some matches.

Are you sure that is a Weber? I have one like that but I don't think it is a Weber. I don't think Weber used an indent molded into the bottom half to hold the grate in position. Can others look closely at his picture and verify? I will be glad if I actually do have a Weber as it was just given to me and is immaculate.
scottfry11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-08-2010, 08:30 AM   #14
DaveMW
is One Chatty Farker

scottfry11: My kettle does have an indent for the grate. I can share with you what I have been told and what I have read online as those are my only sources of info thus far. Hopefully someone on here with more Weber knowledge than I can verify or debunk that info. The grill came from my mother in law where it has sat in her basement for years. She said it doesn't say Weber on the grill (and it doesn't) but the orginal box said Weber and she was told when she purchased it that it was a "second" so sold without logos. The vent has a "J" stamped on it and it looks like a Weber (except I will now check out this indent you noticed - thank you). Anyway I read online that Sears sold grills for Weber as did other stores that sold grill under the dept. store brand but they were made by Weber. Hopefully all that info I was basing my claim on is true as I would love to add this 22.5" to my squad.

Old 08-08-2010, 09:34 AM   #15
scottfry11
Found some matches.

I think I have the exact same grill. It is very sturdy and looks to be Weber quality. I do not have a stamp on the lid vent, don't think so anyway. I will look again. I was wondering what kind of grill it was but did not post the pic. Hopefully more info will come to light. I just checked and mine has the "J" stamp on the vent too.

Last edited by scottfry11; 08-08-2010 at 01:13 PM..
scottfry11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Kettle restoration, restoration, Weber, Weber restoration