Calling all backyarders in Atlanta

Uncle Buds BBQ

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Hello cooks!

The Whole Hawg Happenin' is a BBQ festival held for the last 3 years in the parking lot at White Water that benefits the Boy and Girls Club of Cobb Co.

It has been mainly local restaurants (mostly BBQ) selling samples along with a kids zone, car show, and musical entertainment.

This year the organizer has moved it to the Marietta Square and it will be held on Sunday, Sept. 30, 2012. She wants to add a BBQ contest and has approached Noah Mayeux (Nauti-Que) and I to see if we can pull it off in such a short notice.

Besides being held on a Sunday here is the rub...the city will not block off the square until 2am. So cook teams can't set up before then.

So here is what we are thinking...KCBS rules with the following exceptions:
1. Meats will be pork (any cut) so if you want to grill a loin you'll have time. Chicken and ribs like normal. No brisket.
2. Load in 5am to 8am. You'll have 12'x20' spots around the square. You have (2) 20amp outlets. There is a water source that we'll either run a hose to you or have a communal cleaning station set up.
3. Turn in at 3:30pm, 4:00pm, 4:30pm
4. Awards at 5:30pm. $1,000 to the Champ and $500 to reserve. Each meat will pay 1st-$100 2nd-$75 3rd-$50
5. Entry is $150 and we'll give you a 50% discount off your fee next year when it's a fully KCBS sanctioned event.
6. We will try and get KCBS judges and use KCBS scoring. I'll strongly encourage comment cards on any score of 6 or below. :grin:

What do you think??? Would you come???

Please either reply here or PM me with your questions or ideas.

Thanks,
Dave Amend

We would come but Sunday is a hard day to do a comp for our team.

We would come but Sunday is a hard day to do a comp for our team.
Matt,
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately the event promoter has always held the
festival on Sunday and that's the day the city of Marietta has approved for her this year.

Noah and I have explained to her that next year we really need to hold the contest on Sat.

Since the city most likely will not shut down the square for 72 hours we are looking at putting the teams in a parking lot adjacent to the square in 2013.

Dave

Back