MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:23 PM   #1
UDS808
Found some matches.

Default Sealing the pipe thread on the air intakes..

Question: I used permatex high temp rev silicone gasket maker #81160 to seal the fittings I used in the air intake holes. Is there any reason why that wouldn't be a good idea before I finish and do my first burn on my UDS?

Old 03-14-2013, 11:53 PM   #2
Neonnblack
Full Fledged Farker

You'll be fine, the vents, believe it or not, will be the coolest part of the smoker at temperature.
Neonnblack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-14-2013, 11:59 PM   #3
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

the viscosity of silicon is tooo thick to seal a thread, it will just roll off. Also, is a leak proof thread nesc on an air inlet? If you want to seal threads telfon tape / paste or leak loc is the best. If you are sealing nat gas or propane be sure to read the lable...and use a thread sealer applicable to the job, as silicon is more for a gasket surface. Log onto a permatex web page for proper application.

Old 03-15-2013, 01:02 AM   #4
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : John

I agree with BigBellyBBQ... sealing those is totally unnecessary.
JMSetzler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2013, 09:14 AM   #5
PaPaQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Clyde

They make a thread sealer paste in a Yellow tube, Rector Seal 1.75 Oz. Pipe Thread Sealant at Lowe's that has the NSF stamp on it.
PaPaQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2013, 10:02 AM   #6
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPaQ View Post
They make a thread sealer paste in a Yellow tube, Rector Seal 1.75 Oz. Pipe Thread Sealant at Lowe's that has the NSF stamp on it.
whoa....GREAT GREAT INFO!!!!!! I have rector seal in my box, the grey stuff...heading to it now to check out and if so this is gooood info ..stuff!!!

Old 03-15-2013, 10:32 AM   #7
cpw
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Chad

While I wouldn't bother sealing the joints between the pipe fittings, I would go ahead and seal the hole where the pipe goes into the drum. I didn't on mine and I got some goo that leaked on the bottom of the hole onto my patio.
Yoder YS640
Savannah, GA
Yes, Dear BBQ on Facebook
Proudly sponsored by Royal Oak Charcoal and The Atlanta BBQ store
cpw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2013, 10:59 AM   #8
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

Rust isn't a sealant:

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-15-2013, 12:32 PM   #9
Muscrat
is one Smokin' Farker

I would be apprehensive to use any sealant just for the fact that the fumes may be harmful. I would almost guarantee that if you screw the fitting into the barrel and it tightens up there will be very minimal air leakage to affect the temp control. Keep it simple and remember that the fire needs air so there will never be a time where you completely shut it off unless your trying to smother it out.
Muscrat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2013, 01:07 PM   #10
yakdung
is One Chatty Farker

I would also be concerned about VOC fumes. But that is just me. I would find a welder and run a MIG bead.
yakdung is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2013, 01:24 PM   #11
Mo-Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by UDS808 View Post
Question: I used permatex high temp rev silicone gasket maker #81160 to seal the fittings I used in the air intake holes. Is there any reason why that wouldn't be a good idea before I finish and do my first burn on my UDS?
If you are talking about putting in on the threads then no it wont really work very well, if you are saying it will be on the inside then no not a good idea, if you are using it around the outside around the pipe, just know it wont paint well, if you want it to paint try some JB weld. I would do it after the burn with a good clean surface. The red REV is what I used on my uds, because the fittings were a bit loose. I have only lost the hair on my left side with one eye now about 1 1/2 inch lower than my other one. and of course the in my left foot.
Dadadadave

Old 03-15-2013, 03:15 PM   #12
rolfejr
Full Fledged Farker

+1 on the JB Weld

[I][B][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Rockin' Robyn's BBQ
[/FONT][/B][/I][LEFT][URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Rockin-Robyns-BBQ-Team/107295966034865?ref=tn_tnmn"]Like us on Facebook! [/URL]
Stop by our website!
[URL="http://www.rockinrobynsbbq.com"]www.rockinrobynsbbq.com[/URL]
[/LEFT]
rolfejr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2013, 04:08 PM   #13
Neonnblack
Full Fledged Farker

I don't think you guys are seeing what he is asking. I'm assuming from his name its a uds. Sealing the outside of the pipe nipples before tightening the conduit nut. He'll have no issues.
Neonnblack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2013, 07:55 PM   #14
Mo-Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neonnblack View Post
I don't think you guys are seeing what he is asking. I'm assuming from his name its a uds. Sealing the outside of the pipe nipples before tightening the conduit nut. He'll have no issues.
There may be no issues doing it that way, unless it draws the sealant and cracks it, so to be safe I would put it on after the nut is tightened. Having said that I really do not think is will matter much because after a few uses it should seal its self.
Dave