MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-24-2017, 09:17 PM   #12676
HabitualSmoker
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkinButts82 View Post
Nice setup so far. How did you attach the cut off piece to your drum for the lid to work on the drum? Also, what is your plan for the wheels? Drum dolly, threaded axle, flange with pipe nipple and holes drilled through the nipple?!?!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Thanks! I used 12 screws evenly spaced around the drum to attatch the flange to the barrel. I put a rope gasket between the barrel and flange to fill the gap, and will probably further seal it with a high temp silicone because I can still feel the rope gasket isn't quite as tight as I want it.

For the wheels, I'm going to try using the set of wheels from the kettle I'm using for the lid (I'm hoping the finished barrel won't be too heavy for the plastic wheels, we shall see). I'm going to ask a buddy of mine to weld the axle to the bottom lip of my drum on one side and a pipe nipple opposite the axle (on the flat bottom, not the lip) as a kickstand/leg/whatever else you wanna call it.
HabitualSmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-24-2017, 09:24 PM   #12677
HabitualSmoker
Knows what a fatty is.

My opinion on a drum dolly, I have my current UDS on a drum dolly and I find it inconvenient for my needs. My back yard has a deck that's about an 8" step up from my patio, a step the my barrel has to travel across virtually every time I move it. In order to do so I have to take the drum off its dolly, put the dolly up on the deck (or down on the patio) then place my barrel back on the dolly. I'm figuring a hand truck style of transportation will be more convenient for maneuvering up/down steps. Just my .02 from my experience

Old 01-24-2017, 09:49 PM   #12678
PorkinButts82
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabitualSmoker View Post
Thanks! I used 12 screws evenly spaced around the drum to attatch the flange to the barrel. I put a rope gasket between the barrel and flange to fill the gap, and will probably further seal it with a high temp silicone because I can still feel the rope gasket isn't quite as tight as I want it.

For the wheels, I'm going to try using the set of wheels from the kettle I'm using for the lid (I'm hoping the finished barrel won't be too heavy for the plastic wheels, we shall see). I'm going to ask a buddy of mine to weld the axle to the bottom lip of my drum on one side and a pipe nipple opposite the axle (on the flat bottom, not the lip) as a kickstand/leg/whatever else you wanna call it.
I've seen a few that have done the lid mod the same way. Saw someone else rivet a piece of flat stock to the drum also for the kettle lid to sit on. As for the wheels I was going to bolt a black iron pipe flange on the bottom of the drum (in the recess, close to the lip) and use a 2" nipple drilled to allow a shaft. Cotter pins, washers, and some pressure washer wheels or something heavy duty. Then do the flange and a capped nipple in the front of the drum as a kickstand or a third leg so to speak. 3 points of contact and should be solid as a rock!!

PorkinButts82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-24-2017, 09:51 PM   #12679
PorkinButts82
is one Smokin' Farker

I thought about doing the lid mod. I have a kettle that I don't use too often. I really like the idea of the hinged lid. Might just get the hinge for my flat lid.

Old 01-26-2017, 09:37 AM   #12680
HabitualSmoker
Knows what a fatty is.

Main reason I want the kettle lid is for a second cooking rack. I only have room for a diffuser and one rack on my flat lid barrel.

Can't wait till the day I fill this one up with 8 butts

Old 01-26-2017, 11:53 AM   #12681
PorkinButts82
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Main reason I want the kettle lid is for a second cooking rack. I only have room for a diffuser and one rack on my flat lid barrel.

Can't wait till the day I fill this one up with 8 butts
My top grate is 3" from the top and the second is 9" from the top. Flat lid, so probly only ribs on the top rack. Should be able to squeeze some beer can chickens on the lower rack.
My next build will have the adjustable shelving brackets, no uprights on my valves, and I will do either 2 1" ball valves or 1 2" ball valve.

Old 01-31-2017, 02:26 PM   #12682
mikett
Knows what a fatty is.

On page 171 but couldn't wait any longer. Actually I built this while I was on like 140 but who's counting.

Having trouble keeping it under 300*. However I have only done one burn to season the barrel so we will see this weekend when she gets some meat on her.
It may be the old thermometer so I ordered a Maverick remote thermometer.
Also have a plate to cover exhaust if necessary.

Thanks to all who have contributed to this awesome thread!
I have never smoked anything in my life, meat wise , so this will be all new to me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170129_133816_resized.jpg (34.8 KB, 471 views)
mikett is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2017, 04:19 PM   #12683
ebijack
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : tom

Quote:
Main reason I want the kettle lid is for a second cooking rack. I only have room for a diffuser and one rack on my flat lid barrel. Can't wait till the day I fill this one up with 8 butts
I have 3 grates, one for a diffuser or drip pan. 2 cooking grates with just under 6" clearance for both grates, use 4- 6" carriage bolts for legs for. Using a flat lid. No adjustable grates. No tipping of grates to rotate the grates when required. Diffuser bolts are 15" up from the bottom. I use a 17"round by 8"H coal basket on 3 inch bolts for legs. Thanks N8man!

When new, looking down thru the 3 grates into the coal basket.

Diffuser

Rotating/removed cooking grates

4-10lb butts, you could fit more and/or buy smaller butts.

Just a thought.
ebijack is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-31-2017, 04:25 PM   #12684
ebijack
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikett View Post
Having trouble keeping it under 300*.
Either you lit too many coals, or you have an air leak. The temp will be lower once you have meat in there also.
ebijack is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-31-2017, 06:09 PM   #12685
mikett
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebijack View Post
Either you lit too many coals, or you have an air leak. The temp will be lower once you have meat in there also.
This is probably it. I dumped a whole chimney in there.

Old 01-31-2017, 07:01 PM   #12686
HabitualSmoker
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebijack View Post
I have 3 grates, one for a diffuser or drip pan. 2 cooking grates with just under 6" clearance for both grates, use 4- 6" carriage bolts for legs for. Using a flat lid. No adjustable grates. No tipping of grates to rotate the grates when required. Diffuser bolts are 15" up from the bottom. I use a 17"round by 8"H coal basket on 3 inch bolts for legs. Thanks N8man!
My charcoal basket is about 2x as high as yours but a few inches narrower. Thus, only room for one cooking grate. Should have though about going with a shorter basket once I decided on a flat lid. That's all in the past now though onto the dome lid

Old 01-31-2017, 09:00 PM   #12687
InDaRed2
Got Wood.

Quote:
This is probably it. I dumped a whole chimney in there.
Yep that's probably it. I usually start mine with 12-14 briquettes.
InDaRed2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2017, 09:32 PM   #12688
PorkinButts82
is one Smokin' Farker

I start mine with about 15 briquettes, catch your temp on the come up. Too many coals in the chimney make for difficult temp adjustment.

Old 01-31-2017, 09:32 PM   #12689
PorkinButts82
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
On page 171 but couldn't wait any longer. Actually I built this while I was on like 140 but who's counting.

Having trouble keeping it under 300*. However I have only done one burn to season the barrel so we will see this weekend when she gets some meat on her.
It may be the old thermometer so I ordered a Maverick remote thermometer.
Also have a plate to cover exhaust if necessary.

Thanks to all who have contributed to this awesome thread!
I have never smoked anything in my life, meat wise , so this will be all new to me.
Sounds like an air leak for sure

Old 02-05-2017, 05:58 AM   #12690
mikett
Knows what a fatty is.

Default First smoke complete

Chicken came out a little salty in spots, brine was probably a little too rich in salt, but I consider it a success. 7.5 lb. chicken took 4+ hours. Turkey leg was above 180* but that did not hurt it one bit. The log will be partially consumed at breakfast this morning.
Cooked between 325 & 350*.
Thanks to all who post here I could not have done it without this thread.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170204_151352_resized.jpg (33.3 KB, 386 views)
File Type: jpg 20170204_163852_resized.jpg (56.0 KB, 388 views)
File Type: jpg FB_IMG_1486255050376_resized.jpg (57.5 KB, 386 views)

Thanks from:--->

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker