Building a 42" Brick Pizza Oven & Grill.

Really starting to come together.
Man, the reclaimed brick looks awesome!:-D
Have you started curing the oven at all yet?

Really starting to come together.
Man, the reclaimed brick looks awesome!:-D
Have you started curing the oven at all yet?

Thank you.. No i have not started curing, the form just came off 2 days ago so i will start asap. Its been air drying for a month now, at least the bottom half of the home. The top rows have been drying for 2 weeks now. Im good with that as the longer it dries the better. Im thinking of putting a propane torch in there for the first few days. Then use charcoal briquettes as the heat is low and stable. After that ill amp up the heat.

Time is your friend here...
I am not sure of the merit, I have read that propane gives off moisture when burned.
I know our ice fishing shacks get pretty humid when we heat them (perhaps from temp variance).
Just some thing to check into?
There is a LOT of moisture already in it.

I am not sure of the merit, I have read that propane gives off moisture when burned..
Technically, the combustion process itself creates water as a byproduct. I'm not sure if different fuels give more or less water though. Maybe propane produces more? But this is why water comes out of automotive tailpipes because a fuel is being burned.

I am not sure of the merit, I have read that propane gives off moisture when burned.
I know our ice fishing shacks get pretty humid when we heat them (perhaps from temp variance).
Just some thing to check into?
There is a LOT of moisture already in it.

Ice fishing? well yes if your heating up a cold and icy environment it will develop moisture, no? Its pretty dry up here so im not worried about that. I will have to check the moisture level with my moisture meter. I will document moisture levels.

May i add that ive been fairly happy with this blade [ame=http://www.amazon.com/MK-Diamond-159407-Segmented-Concrete/dp/B000FUM78I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1365183861&sr=8-1&keywords=mk+diamond+saw+blade]MK Diamond 159407 MK-99 10-Inch Dry or Wet Cutting Segmented Saw Blade with 5/8-Inch Arbor for Concrete and Brick - Amazon.com[/ame].

Ive been doing all these cuts and about finished the build on just one blade and still using it, its almost done but its still on the saw. I have one more sitting in the garage but for the price this was a nice blade.

Since it is pretty dry out here in SoCal I wouldn't put too much emphasis on the curing process. I built my oven during spring time and lit progressively larger fires (maybe half a dozen or so) before I lit the big one. No cracks.

Since it is pretty dry out here in SoCal I wouldn't put too much emphasis on the curing process. I built my oven during spring time and lit progressively larger fires (maybe half a dozen or so) before I lit the big one. No cracks.

Good to know, ill start slowly with small fires then build up. Thanks.

What a nice build! I absolutely love the workspace you've built around it, I'm taking notes here. I bet you can almost taste that first pizza.

What a nice build! I absolutely love the workspace you've built around it, I'm taking notes here. I bet you can almost taste that first pizza.

Thanks Matt. Ya i cant wait, now ill have to learn how to make the dough. Ill have to consult with my grandparents as they have baked bread in old ovens /clay pits

You are fortunate to have them as a resource. Make sure to write down every pearl you get from them, or better yet film them sharing what they know. My sister did that with my grandmother before she passed, recorded her singing old songs and sharing family stories. It's priceless to all of us, and the traditions bring us all closer.

If you ever want any sourdough starter I'd be happy to send some your way.

You are fortunate to have them as a resource. Make sure to write down every pearl you get from them, or better yet film them sharing what they know. My sister did that with my grandmother before she passed, recorded her singing old songs and sharing family stories. It's priceless to all of us, and the traditions bring us all closer.

If you ever want any sourdough starter I'd be happy to send some your way.

Thanks Matt, i will keep that in mind, memories and good times with family are priceless your right.

Here is some work from today. We continued the installation of the bricks. We cut open an area to accommodate for the BBQ pit clean out door, then continued to install the bricks.

Cutting the opening.

ohnzg5.jpg

Using our Bosch jack hammer to dig out the concrete

2a98s2b.jpg

25exm2s.jpg

qqokjm.jpg

2nrn02f.jpg

I officially started the curing. I had the propane weed burner in there for about 2 hours, had it on its lowest setting. Stacked a few fire bricks to diffuse the flame/heat. The hottest the top of the dome got was just shy of 200F. The chimney also seems to be drawing pretty well. Hope i can continue some more tomorrow.

dxbec2.jpg

With a form you'll be 100% certain how high the dome ceiling will end up at.

Check out this famous builder's method which looks pretty sloppy but he uses a sand form in this set of photos. I like that refractory liquid mortar he pours over the entire dome. Seems like his whole build procedure saves a lot of time.

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archiv...errara-first-in-nyc-slideshow.html#show-87711

Carbon, very cool article and slideshow on how this NY pizza oven was built. I LOVE the idea of building it on top of a sand form, letting it "set" - then digging out the sand. Very good idea indeed . . . .

Nice! You could have thrown in a rack of ribs in there while you were at it. :))

Lol i thought about it but the heat doesnt stay long enough, the bricks suck in the heat so the heat inside the oven doesnt stay hot for too long, unless i keep on adding fuel.

Back