MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-29-2020, 03:40 PM   #16
Blizzard
Full Fledged Farker

Iíve got one. Iíd agree, bad pizza is operator error, not faulty equipment. It does take some practice, but I also donít think you need that flat steel to reflect the heat back down from the lid. Man that is expensive.
Blizzard is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-29-2020, 05:31 PM   #17
KevinJ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzard View Post
Iíve got one. Iíd agree, bad pizza is operator error, not faulty equipment. It does take some practice, but I also donít think you need that flat steel to reflect the heat back down from the lid. Man that is expensive.
You do if you use Pizza Steel instead of a stone and want to cook above 600 degrees like a normal pizza oven. I was cooking good pies without the Kettle Pizza but when trying to up the temp bottom burned top not done.

Without the top plate it was a waste of money for me when I could get the same results without it.

Weber Go-Anywhere

All American Moinkballer
KevinJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-29-2020, 05:52 PM   #18
Frontloader
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Danny

Very nice looking pizza!

Before buying my KettlePizza, I read and watched a bunch of reviews. They all seemed to point to the same thing: The basic kit was okay, but you had to dome the pie towards the end of the cook in order to get the top up to snuff. Also, the standard kit is more difficult to refuel, so I spent the extra money and got the whole package. Like I said, adding wood during a cook isn't a problem at all, and the steel on top channels the flame from the back wood basket nicely over the ceiling of the oven-no doming required.
Frontloader is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2020, 06:45 AM   #19
2xal
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Alex

I have the basic version and it works great. I dont use a stone directly, we put the pies on tins, then they go on top of the stone. They can be spun with one finger while cooking and they cook much more evenly.
2xal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2020, 11:29 AM   #20
RacrX
Full Fledged Farker

One question, given the grate is below the rim of the kettle and the oven "door" on the KP seems to be an inch or two up from the bottom of the ring, do your pizzas sit down into the kettle as opposed to even with the door?

EDIT: Never mind just figured it out.

Follow my Instagram! @sweetsmokeBBQ

Last edited by RacrX; 05-30-2020 at 12:13 PM..
RacrX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2020, 01:33 PM   #21
mcyork28
is One Chatty Farker

I started a new thread for this but stumbled onto a used pronto and snagged it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Weber Kettle
Weber Genesis
Weber Smokey Joe

Passed on to a new home
Tejas 2040 Deluxe
Humphrey's Long Weekender
mcyork28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2020, 03:54 PM   #22
TealStBBQKing
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeff

I've got a Kettle Pizza and absolutely love it. I cheaped out and got the basic model but wish I got the deluxe version. I bought the Kettle Pizza stone and that made a big difference.

Old 05-30-2020, 04:08 PM   #23
RacrX
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcyork28 View Post
I started a new thread for this but stumbled onto a used pronto and snagged it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

This looks like the way to go for convenience and ease of use!

Follow my Instagram! @sweetsmokeBBQ
RacrX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2020, 06:25 PM   #24
STLBBQer
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzard View Post
You can turn out good BBQ on a $200 offset too.
WGA Charcoal
Spirit II E-210

PK Grill
BGW Grand Slam
Pit Barrel Cooker
Blackstone 22" Griddle
STLBBQer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2020, 06:46 PM   #25
KpaxFAQ
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Kory

If you’re not opposed to doing it inside a $40 3/8” steel plate in your oven at 550 does a hell of a job without the added hassles. My oven does such a great job I haven’t bought a dedicated outdoor unit yet. My new oven has an air fry mode which does an even better job. Better than any restaurant in my area.
KpaxFAQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2020, 06:50 PM   #26
mcyork28
is One Chatty Farker

I watched a video on Bakingsteel.com where they heat the steel up and then switch the oven to broil a few minutes before they put the pizza on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KpaxFAQ View Post
If youíre not opposed to doing it inside a $40 3/8Ē steel plate in your oven at 550 does a hell of a job without the added hassles. My oven does such a great job I havenít bought a dedicated outdoor unit yet. My new oven has an air fry mode which does an even better job. Better than any restaurant in my area.
Weber Kettle
Weber Genesis
Weber Smokey Joe

Passed on to a new home
Tejas 2040 Deluxe
Humphrey's Long Weekender
mcyork28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-30-2020, 07:11 PM   #27
KpaxFAQ
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Kory

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcyork28 View Post
I watched a video on Bakingsteel.com where they heat the steel up and then switch the oven to broil a few minutes before they put the pizza on.
Depending on your oven itís an option. Every oven is a little different. On my current oven the convection browns so well on top I can skip that.
KpaxFAQ is offline   Reply With Quote