• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Chicken Sharwarma 3.0!

DerHusker

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]Chicken is my wife’s favorite and I like to cook things she’ll like, most of the time, so for the Chicken Thighs Throwdown, I went with Chichen Shawarma. Started out by skinning and de-boning some chicken thighs that I had thawed out. [/FONT]I cut each in half and set them aside in the fridge.
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I now got out the ingredients for a yogurt based Sharwarma marinade.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]([/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Link to recipes: [/FONT]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=250191)[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Everybody in the pool [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]and gave it a good spin with the whisk.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I then put the chicken thighs in and stirred it up to get complete coverage on all surfaces.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I then covered the bowl with plastic wrap and placed them in the fridge to rest overnight. Now I made up a batch of Tzatziki.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The next day I broke out my vertical spit.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]And loaded it up with the Shawarma and topped it with a nice thick slice of red onion [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]After I had preheated my kamado up to 325 for 1/2 hour I put the Shawarma in.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I checked on it after about 25 minutes and knew it could go much longer.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]After about 1 hour I started getting everything ready. I cut up my veggies [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]and got the Tzatziki out.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I also set up my craving station.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Once the Shawarma developed some char on it, I removed it and sliced off the outer layer and then placed it back in the kamado.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I warmed up some flat bread and spooned on some Tzatziki and then made up some Shawarma Sammi’s. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Here they are served street food style with a Ballast Point Grapefruit Sculpin and some mandarin orange slices. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]SO GOOD![/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Thanks for looking.[/FONT]

Absolutely nailed it! Cooking down on the charcoal grate opposite the divider from the heat is a novel idea.

Pics look great and it all looks fantastic.

If I may ask, where did you find the base and holder for the chicken you placed in the bottom of the grill? I would like that for lamb, too.

Thanks

That's one fine looking cook.
Thank you Marty
:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:
Thank you Titch
Absolutely nailed it! Cooking down on the charcoal grate opposite the divider from the heat is a novel idea.

Pics look great and it all looks fantastic.
Thank you lunchman. I'm thinking next time I'm going to substitute some expanded metal mesh for the C.I. charcoal. There was plenty of heat but I could've used some more direct flame exposure for some better charring.

If I may ask, where did you find the base and holder for the chicken you placed in the bottom of the grill? I would like that for lamb, too.

Thanks
Thank you Escaper. I found it at a local thrift store for $2.17. It is an indoor grill plate similar to this: https://www.amazon.com/Plate-Iwatan...&s=gateway&sprefix=korean+bbq+,aps,223&sr=8-7

YUM I think I really need to try this
Thank you George

This and the stuffed thighs are the front-runners at this point for the throwdown. Looks great.
Thank you Jeremiah

Back