MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-25-2015, 12:08 AM   #1
Framedogg
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default First Pork Butt and I have a few questions

Hey all,

I am doing my first pork butt for pulled pork tomorrow and I was able to get a really great deal on the meat ($1.19/lb) so I ended up with 2 8lb butts. If I end up cooking both should I be expecting a significantly longer cook time? I was assuming about 8-9 hours total cook or about 1 hour per lb per butt at 275. I will also be going by internal temp but i just want to let the family know when they are gonna eat. Any help would be much appreciated.
Framedogg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2015, 04:55 AM   #2
1buckie
Babbling Farker

It depends a little bit on how cramped a space you're cooking in.....what cooker?

More cold mass means a little longer to catch up to level cooking temp, but not generally x 1.5 or anything like that....most circumstances, 10% longer?

Situation like that, I try to get a good, hot, solid startup......

Have great dinner !!!
1buckie is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-25-2015, 05:14 AM   #3
southside66
On the road to being a farker

8-9 hours should be good at that temp
Brinkman ECB
KCBS
MABA
CBJ
southside66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-25-2015, 06:35 AM   #4
darkoozy
is One Chatty Farker

Pulled pork? Don't cook by internal temp. If its bone in, cook it until the bone pulls clean out with no resistance (typically in 200+ ranges). Ill smoke my butts for about 2/3 of the cook to get some nice bark, then wrap in a foil pan to get some rendered juices out to put back in after the pork has been pulled.
darkoozy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2015, 07:05 AM   #5
wayne77
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Framedogg View Post
Hey all,

I am doing my first pork butt for pulled pork tomorrow and I was able to get a really great deal on the meat ($1.19/lb) so I ended up with 2 8lb butts. If I end up cooking both should I be expecting a significantly longer cook time? I was assuming about 8-9 hours total cook or about 1 hour per lb per butt at 275. I will also be going by internal temp but i just want to let the family know when they are gonna eat. Any help would be much appreciated.

That's the worse part about this type of cooking, guessing when it will be done. Some butts are just stubborn and can take longer. If you haven't done it a lot, my advice would be to plan for it to take longer. Plan for 10-11 hours and if it gets done early you can wrap it in foil, wrap that in a towel or two and place it in a cooler. You can leave it in there for 2-3 hours and it will still be plenty hot when you go to pull it. Good luck!

Old 04-25-2015, 07:32 AM   #6
Framedogg
Got rid of the matchlight.

It's a vertical gas smoker...one of the cheapo amazon ones. Forget the brand but there is plenty of room. I will plan about 10% extra time. Thank you so much! I'll post pics tonight or tomorrow!
Framedogg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2015, 07:49 AM   #7
Shagdog
Babbling Farker

Butts are great because they will hold in a cooler for hours if you finish early. I always shoot for finishing an hour or 2 early and usually end up right on time. Predicting when it's done hardly ever works out well for me. If you finish early just let it sit on the counter for 10-15 minutes, then wrap in foil and cooler it till time to pull.

Come Join the fun in the Throwdowns!

Shirley Fabrication 24x70 Trailer - UDS - Weber Kettle - WGA - Fire Pit Rotisserie - Shirley-Shagstone Griddle/Wok Cart - Carson Rodizio

2016 Official BBQ Brethren Ribeye Master

Shagdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2015, 07:52 AM   #8
tnfan47
Full Fledged Farker

Always give yourself 1-2 hours. I rather it finish early than people waiting to eat.

Tags
multiple, pulled pork