MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-30-2020, 04:44 PM   #1
darita
is One Chatty Farker

Default B&B Char Logs...Opinions Please...

I've been looking for clean burning coals to use in my Masterbuilt 560. I narrowed it down to Weber Briquets, B&B Briquets and B&B Char Logs. I will likely still use lump as well, but I have bags of RO lump and for some reason, they have a ton of smalls and also, lump may bridge in the chute, so I'm leaning toward briquets.
Ya, the logs aren't that uniform in length, however I'm wondering if they'll settle in the hopper better than the lump, but still give as clean a burn. Thanks for your input.

Old 05-30-2020, 05:13 PM   #2
rexster314
Take a breath!

Char Logs are great!! So great that they are getting harder and harder to find in stores

Old 05-30-2020, 05:22 PM   #3
Mike in Roseville
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

Derek,

Did ACE have any Char Logs in stock?
Mike in Roseville is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2020, 05:58 PM   #4
darita
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in Roseville View Post
Derek,

Did ACE have any Char Logs in stock?
Yes! They had 5 bags and I bought 2.

Old 05-30-2020, 05:59 PM   #5
darita
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexster314 View Post
Char Logs are great!! So great that they are getting harder and harder to find in stores
They fit well in the 560? How much do they smoke, with no chunks added?

Old 05-30-2020, 06:14 PM   #6
STLBBQer
is one Smokin' Farker

My only complaint is they’re harder to get lit and smell off when lighting. Other than that, they’re awesome. I got three 30 lb bags of them from Academy a month ago.
WGA Charcoal
Spirit II E-210

PK Grill
BGW Grand Slam
Pit Barrel Cooker
Blackstone 22" Griddle
STLBBQer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2020, 08:14 PM   #7
darita
is One Chatty Farker

I'm sure they do well once ashed over, but my concern is in a gravity fed situation. If they smoke off when lit, the nature of a gravity fed is that new coals are always lighting.

Old 05-30-2020, 09:28 PM   #8
rexster314
Take a breath!

There's hardly any smoke from the char logs. That's why I like them, they give off pure heat, hardly any flavor, and lets you add whatever flavor wood you want. And the price is right for 30 pound bags as well

Old 05-30-2020, 10:00 PM   #9
JWFokker
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Anon

I'm a big fan of the Weber briquettes. They're legitimately premium quality. Extra large, burn super clean. Pricey though. I use them in an Akorn kamado that's very fuel efficient. I use cheap lump in everything else that burns charcoal.
JWFokker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2020, 07:43 AM   #10
darita
is One Chatty Farker

Tested the Weber and B&B briquets in my 560. Not a scientific test at all. Just looking at how clean the burns were and what is smelled like. Both burns had ambient temps in the mid 80s, with slight breeze. Both had controller temp set at 250* and left to burn for 1 hour. From what I could see, the B&B had a cleaner burn and mellower smell to what smoke was there. That said, both were a good alternative to lump, although Weber briquets cost more.
If B&B logs work as well as their briquets, I'll use the logs, since they are much more reasonable in price.

Old 05-31-2020, 12:13 PM   #11
jzadski
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe

I have 6 bags of KB left so it's that for now. Want to switch to B&B briquets but, can't find in stock anywhere and don't want to pay gouged pricing online. Have a hard time paying $20 for weber...ya I can be cheap

Old 05-31-2020, 12:30 PM   #12
darita
is One Chatty Farker

If the logs work out, $20 for a 30 lbs. bag ain't bad at all. Ordered from Ace with free delivery to the store.

Old 05-31-2020, 03:30 PM   #13
darita
is One Chatty Farker

OK...fired up the 560 @275. After about 1/2 hour, with one chunk of apple about 4" from the charcoal grate, I'm getting exactly the amount of blue smoke I wanted. No billowing...just whisps of nice smelling, blue smoke.
Here's the only caveat...some of the logs are up to 5" long. I didn't want any bridging going on, so all I did was whack 2 logs together and they broke very easily. Better that than a bunch of smalls.
If the briquets came in a 30lbs. bag for $20, I'd use those over the logs. Seeing as how the logs are a much better price, I'll use the logs. From what I saw, B&B has a cleaner burn, less smoke, than the Weber briquets and Weber briquets are a lot more expensive. That said, I'd use Weber next in line to B&B.

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-31-2020, 08:52 PM   #14
JWFokker
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Anon

Quote:
Originally Posted by darita View Post
Tested the Weber and B&B briquets in my 560. Not a scientific test at all. Just looking at how clean the burns were and what is smelled like. Both burns had ambient temps in the mid 80s, with slight breeze. Both had controller temp set at 250* and left to burn for 1 hour. From what I could see, the B&B had a cleaner burn and mellower smell to what smoke was there. That said, both were a good alternative to lump, although Weber briquets cost more.
If B&B logs work as well as their briquets, I'll use the logs, since they are much more reasonable in price.
This is interesting. I cook at 275F for most everything. Possibly the larger Weber briquettes were smoldering at low temp. Gonna get some B&B to do research now. I've been very happy with Weber briqs.
JWFokker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2020, 11:22 PM   #15
Swine Spectator
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : David

I like them. I start my Shirley with splits and try to cook with straight wood for 2-3 hours. Then I'll start adding char logs for straight BTU's. They also provide an ability to raise temps incrementally.

- "There's nothing magical about 225°, except waking up earlier and eating later." - DaveAlvarado
- "You talk about burning lots of wood like it’s a bad thing..." - Gimmethecash
Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller!
Swine Spectator is offline   Reply With Quote