MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-30-2020, 07:52 AM   #1201
Crispy Bacon
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Crispy

Ribs look awesome! So what was your total cook time?
Crispy Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2020, 11:24 AM   #1202
RacrX
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalters View Post
Good question! Being I have personally cooked on 2 different brands of pellet cookers (old school US made Traeger and now MAK’s) I’ll tell you what stands out about MAK’s to me.

6) They have the only controller in the industry that accepts industrial grade k-style PLUS the controller is highly programmable.

7) You can grill across the entire cooking surface vs a small direct flame zone that many of the others “direct flame” pellet cookers offer. I love that I can just load it down and grill a quick and easy weeknight meal without having to rotate things over a small flame zone.
Thanks, that was helpful! Can you tell em a little more about #6+7 above? Highly programmable how? And how do they get a small fire pot flame to allow you to grill across the entire surface?

Follow my Instagram! @sweetsmokeBBQ
RacrX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2020, 11:38 AM   #1203
rwalters
Babbling Farker

Default MAK Grills talk/pics/thoughts/reviews and appreciation thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacrX View Post
Thanks, that was helpful! Can you tell em a little more about #6+7 above? Highly programmable how? And how do they get a small fire pot flame to allow you to grill across the entire surface?

Highly programmable in the sense that you can pretty much configure the cook however you want. Example: Set the cook to start on Smoke for 2 hours/have the controller to switch to 250° from the 2-5 hour mark/have the controller kick the temp to 275° til meat reaches desired internal temp and then have the controller drop back to the Smoke setting til you remove the meat. I rarely use the programs, but if that’s your thing, the skies pretty much the limit :)

As far as intense grilling heat across the entire grill surface. It all has to do the their Funnel Flame Zone. It’s basically a reverse funnel that forces all heat directly up to the cooking grate. It’s very effective and the heat is pretty darn even side/side and front/back. Also, I never grill with the controller set to higher than 450°. 450° will give you a temp at the main grate of right around 575° which is perfect for most everyday grilling.

Here’s a pic that explains the Funnel Flame Zone setup (shown with covers removed for grilling).

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-30-2020, 12:35 PM   #1204
Sooner21
Take a breath!

Well I had my first negative with the MAK today. Have been running it since 8 last night with pork shoulders on it, and planned to throw 5 slabs of spares on after the shoulders were done. After I woke up this morning I upped the temp from 235 to 275 to speed things up and my fire died. Luckily I was watching it and they were at the wrapping point anyway, so into the oven to finish. Took it apart and there was a $h!t ton of ash from the Lumberjack pellets. I cleaned it right before I started it last night, so it was all from 12 hours of running LJ pellets. I've used them 20 or so times without a problem, but notice they produce way more ash than the Bear Mountain pellets I've used the last few cooks. Ribs are on and all is good - just about 45 minutes behind schedule now. Instead of cook pics here's one of the ash that LJ produced. Apparently enough to snuff the fire..I don't think I'll be buying anymore after my remaining bags are gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sooner21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2020, 12:51 PM   #1205
4ever3
somebody shut me the fark up.

I had the same issues with LJ, switched to bear mountain, and all is well, and a ton less ash.

Old Oklahoma Joe (Opal)
Weber Summit Charcoal (Waylon)
MAK 2 Star (Maybel)

“The cannons don’t thunder, there’s nothing to plunder, I’m an over 40 victim of fate...”
4ever3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2020, 12:55 PM   #1206
Sooner21
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ever3 View Post
I had the same issues with LJ, switched to bear mountain, and all is well, and a ton less ash.

Yeah - after using Bear Mountain the last few cooks I was shocked how much ash these produced. I guess I didn't realize it until I had something to compare.

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-30-2020, 05:58 PM   #1207
Baychilla
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispy Bacon View Post
Ribs look awesome! So what was your total cook time?
5hrs and 59 minutes.
Baychilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2020, 06:03 PM   #1208
rwalters
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baychilla View Post
5hrs and 59 minutes.

Oh man, next time shoot for 6 hours. Game changer!!

Old 05-30-2020, 06:53 PM   #1209
Crispy Bacon
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Crispy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalters View Post
Oh man, next time shoot for 6 hours. Game changer!!

Lmao!
Crispy Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2020, 10:08 AM   #1210
YSR
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Brisket

Though I have extensive experience in eating brisket, I have only cooked 3-4, and they were many years ago. Of those, 1 was decent and the others were not so good. All were done on a Kamado and cooked long before this site helped me understand how Brisket shouldn't be treated like a pork butt. Thawed this freezer occupant, trimmed aggressively, Oakridge Black Ops, onto the Mak last night at 225. 11 hours later IT was 170. Wrapped in butcher paper (forgot to take a pic) and back on the Mak at 275. IT now 195, parts of it are probe tender, some parts not yet... Once it is all probe tender I'll pull it.
Fingers Crossed, I'll post pics of the Good, Bad, and, or, Ugly when it's done...

Question: Should I rest it in the butcher paper? Naked? Cooler? How long?
I plan to make some burnt ends from the point and to vacuum bag and freeze individual portions for future meals.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2020-05-30 08.29.03.jpg (65.4 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg 2020-05-30 20.37.59.jpg (107.4 KB, 92 views)
YSR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2020, 10:50 AM   #1211
YSR
Knows what a fatty is.

Probed tender, pulled, unwrapped, foil tented to rest.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2020-05-31 11.45.06.jpg (58.8 KB, 100 views)

Old 05-31-2020, 12:22 PM   #1212
WBDubya
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Bryan

As soon as my 280#'s of CookinPellets arrived I listed my leftover Lumberjack pellets for sale and all of the bags were gone within a day.

Old 05-31-2020, 12:37 PM   #1213
Curt.P
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner21 View Post
After I woke up this morning I upped the temp from 235 to 275 to speed things up and my fire died.
I've had flameouts on my Memphis with pellets from different manufacturers when upping the temp from an overnight cook. Yes, I've had it happen with LJ, but also with low ash pellets like Cookinpellets and BBQ Island. My theory is with the sudden dump of pellets on top of the residual ash, they don't ignite fast enough and the controller dumps more pellets trying to compensate, eventually smothering the fire. Never had it happen on shorter cooks.

FWIW, while I notice more ash on the deflector and in the ash pans, the amount of ash in the fire pot is about the same for me. I figured it was the forced air through the fire pot that keeps it at a certain level.
Curt.P is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2020, 01:55 PM   #1214
YSR
Knows what a fatty is.

Well, fark. The flat was dry and crumbled easily. The point was ok, moist and made some good burnt ends. The bark was super hard. Wondering if I "misread" the probe tender and left it on too long. My lifetime brisket batting average would keep me on the bench... unless this is ruled a bloop single...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2020-05-31 12.13.11.jpg (35.4 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg 2020-05-31 13.56.23.jpg (70.3 KB, 87 views)

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-31-2020, 01:58 PM   #1215
Sooner21
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt.P View Post
I've had flameouts on my Memphis with pellets from different manufacturers when upping the temp from an overnight cook. Yes, I've had it happen with LJ, but also with low ash pellets like Cookinpellets and BBQ Island. My theory is with the sudden dump of pellets on top of the residual ash, they don't ignite fast enough and the controller dumps more pellets trying to compensate, eventually smothering the fire. Never had it happen on shorter cooks.

FWIW, while I notice more ash on the deflector and in the ash pans, the amount of ash in the fire pot is about the same for me. I figured it was the forced air through the fire pot that keeps it at a certain level.

This is good to know. I'm only a few months into my pellet journey, so learning something new every cook. Increase/decrease temp slowly - makes sense.