MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 05-02-2007, 06:46 PM   #16
Jeff_in_KC
somebody shut me the fark up.

I agree with ya Kick... but I couldn't leave them Okies off the list!
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-02-2007, 06:59 PM   #17
MilitantSquatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebbq View Post
In KCBS alone will rule out alot of great teams from Texas, and Florida... Just not alot of KCBS, especially triple point events without doing some heavy traveling..
I think Kevin nailed it right on the head... Competition BBQ is growing everywhere but has deeper roots in certain areas of the country. This creates the opportunity for more teams to attend more and larger contests based on the exposure in the region. This creates somewhat of a higher probability of these teams standing out from a ranking system...

Obviously there are exceptions to every rule as there are very strong teams in the NE, Mid Atlantic, SE and Pacific Northwest as examples but in the end a lot has to do with percentages.
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2007, 06:39 AM   #18
YankeeBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidkick View Post
I have to say in my opinion, three states....Missouri/Kansas and Florida. Though we present the final product a little differently, I think that some of the best overall que comes from these areas. Those FBA boys/gals are pretty darn tough, just like us MoFo/KanFo boys/gals are.....

Illinois isn't far behind with Ulcer Acres and Quau just to name a few....
I gotta stand up for my New England teams. When we do travel out west and south we do pretty darn good against those teams. Plenty of calls at the Royal, the Jack and the Best of the Best for New England Teams.

This post is my opinion and mine alone, not necessarily that of the KCBS, it's board of directors or office nor that of Peter Pan, Tinkerbell and certainly not Rush Limbaugh.
YankeeBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2007, 07:02 AM   #19
SP
is one Smokin' Farker

So I guess there are alot of good teams everywhere. And if all the top teams got togeather there probably would be several different calls.

[COLOR=#0000ff]2 Homemade Smokers (1 for Sale) [URL]http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f265/123sauced/Smoker.jpg[/URL][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000ff]Weber Kettle[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000ff]Brinkmann Smoke n Pitt[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000ff]Charbroil Gasser[/COLOR]
SP is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2007, 07:03 AM   #20
Solidkick

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeBBQ View Post
I gotta stand up for my New England teams. When we do travel out west and south we do pretty darn good against those teams. Plenty of calls at the Royal, the Jack and the Best of the Best for New England Teams.
Oh..I can't disagree with you....I think the question asked really becomes an answer of a regional response. I know you guys can cook, I've just never been in a contest against you. Same with Willie T out in the Carolinas...the brother can cook, no doubt.

I guess everyone has their teams they have to contend with in their own region....so there probably isn't a state or states that has the best teams.
They're all pretty good on any given day!

------------------------------------------------
Belly Brothers BBQ Team

"Sister Flame" Spicewine Trailer Smoker,Modified Bandera, Uni-Flame Chicken Cooker with a Spicewine Thermometer mod,Kingsford Barrel cooker and a super fast RED thermapen

KC always said "fat cap up!!
Solidkick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2007, 07:20 AM   #21
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

Default A true national BBQ championship?

It would be great to find a way to bring the top teams from all regions and societies/associations together in true national championship format - A BBQ Superbowl or World Series type of event.

Seems like it could draw some big time sponsors and TV Coverage and be a well paid trip for all the regional champions with some significant prize money and bragging rights.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2007, 07:29 AM   #22
homebbq
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeSmellsLikeSmoke View Post
It would be great to find a way to bring the top teams from all regions and societies/associations together in true national championship format - A BBQ Superbowl or World Series type of event.

Seems like it could draw some big time sponsors and TV Coverage and be a well paid trip for all the regional champions with some significant prize money and bragging rights.
It's been trying to exist, it's called the Best of the Best, put on by the National BBQ News in Douglas, Georgia... The same problems with distance plague this contest, besides the fact they keep charging an entry fee for the Invitational... But it's a neat contest, they take rules from several organizations, and meld them together.....

http://www.nationalbbqfestival.com/
www.outdoorcookingchannel.com
homebbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2007, 08:33 AM   #23
tony76248
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeSmellsLikeSmoke View Post
Not to restart the civil war, but do teams from any one state stand out in KCBS competitions on a year in and year out basis?

This may be too simplistic a question considering that KCBS competitions are held throughout the United States.
OK here is the deal, in Texas we have a few sanctioning bodies. IBCA, Lone Star and Gulf Coast. In the past there have been KCBS comps here as well. There was even a joint competition called "meeting in the middle" I believe. I think it was in Stillwater OK last year. All pits turned in to both IBCA and KCBS, so there were two sets of turn-ins.

All told there are approximately 200 sanctioned comps a year in Texas... I believe that number is accurate. IBCA has a great website whereas the Lone Star is about as cheesy as they come. I am basing that on my experience and nobody elses. I have never checked out the gulf coast website because they are gulf coast and not too close to home. The rules for each sanctioning body are roughly the same. Both Gulf Coast and Lone Star are shoot-offs from IBCA. Many folks will cook in all three associations and some folks prefer to stick with just one. IBCA is also nationwide, they sanction cook-offs as far away as both coasts.

The main but not only differences between IBCA and KCBS: KCBS has a training program for their judges where IBCA utilizes judges from the sponsoring organization such as VFW, K of C, volunteer Fire Dept, Chamber of Commerce...etc etc... There are pluses and minuses to both. Another difference is the meat selection and garnish. KCBS uses baby backs where IBCA uses spares. IBCA turns in fully jointed half chickens, KCBS 6 pieces of the same. KCBS turns in pulled pork and IBCA doesn't...unless they have added categories. KCBS garnishes, IBCA doesn't (I personally think it is silly to garnish, afterall it is a meat competition)

I am going to participate in a KCBS cook-off this year. We are still trying to determine the logistics on that one.

There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures.
Right next to the mashed potatoes.

Brinkmann Model 6668 Gasser
Hibachi Grill
Stumps GF223 w/ Stoker assist
ECB that wins the $
Weber One-Touch Gold 22-1/2"
#3 Komono
Large BGE w/ Stoker assist
55 gallon Drum Smoker
Wood Crate Cold smoker w/ smoke injector
No need for certification, I already know good BBQ!
tony76248 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2007, 08:39 AM   #24
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony76248 View Post
There was even a joint competition called "meeting in the middle" I believe. I think it was in Stillwater OK last year. All pits turned in to both IBCA and KCBS, so there were two sets of turn-ins.

So how did it turn out?

Thanks for the overview -- very interesting.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2007, 09:38 AM   #25
Diamond D'z
Got Wood.

Not that I have any braggin rights ............Yet.............soon it'll be Kentucky.
La Caja China (New)
Various Gassers
Looking @ the Outdoor Culinary Cooker "Bare Bones" for grilling......
Diamond D'z is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2007, 11:58 AM   #26
Solidkick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond D'z View Post
Not that I have any braggin rights ............Yet.............soon it'll be Kentucky.
There ya go brother! that's the attitude!!

------------------------------------------------
Belly Brothers BBQ Team

"Sister Flame" Spicewine Trailer Smoker,Modified Bandera, Uni-Flame Chicken Cooker with a Spicewine Thermometer mod,Kingsford Barrel cooker and a super fast RED thermapen

KC always said "fat cap up!!
Solidkick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2007, 12:20 PM   #27
SmokeInDaEye
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Anchorman View Post
From Texas to... "Rhode Island the biggest littlest state in the union!"

Well I couldn't resist, Ray
I didn't even realize Road Island was a state.
Gen II Komodo Kamado, Pit Barrel Cooker, 3x 18.5" WSMs, 22.5" WSM, modified 18.5" Weber Kettle, 22.5" Weber Kettle circa 1960ish, Weber One Touch Platinum, copper Weber Smokey Joe, La Caja China, Bubba Keg, Bodom Picnic Grill, Weber Genesis
SmokeInDaEye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2007, 12:37 PM   #28
Bill-Chicago

Location: Chicago Southwestern Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.
Name/Nickname : Professor Dickweed

The Pacific Northwest has their own section of the monthly Bullsheet

Even the KCBS recognizes them as the best, so the argument is moot

The death of "willkat98"

Me: If you aren't woke, that means you're still sleeping, right?
Kid today: That's racist!

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven, Black Iron BBQ Viper-M, Blackstone 36" Griddle
Bill-Chicago is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2007, 01:12 PM   #29
Bigdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by willkat98 View Post
The Pacific Northwest has their own section of the monthly Bullsheet

Even the KCBS recognizes them as the best, so the argument is moot
Ah...Bill...the Pacific Northwest is not a state the last time that I checked.
Pitman for Andy Groneman at the All Things BBQ cooking classes.
Smoke on Brother KC
Father of the Fatty (the name) 4/20/04 on the BBQ Brethren with inspiration from Brother parrothead.
Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2007, 02:16 PM   #30
The Anchorman
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeInDaEye View Post
I didn't even realize Road Island was a state.
The 13th original Baby!

BWS Party, Chubby, WSM, 4 Kettles, 3 Performers, 1 Smokey Joe Platininum, Weber Genisis B, 2 Grey Thermopens
KCBS CBJ
The Anchorman is offline   Reply With Quote